“Average”

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed January 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in Itasca for a wedding on New Years Eve. We live in the area, but did not want to test the Chicago roads on New Years Eve. Overall, I would say the hotel was average; a few pluses and a few minuses.

Pluses would be that the hotel was clean and well kept up. Also, while the breakfast brunch at Shula's in the lobby was small, all food served was of good quality. The service at the actual wedding was good, punctual, as was the overall service at the hotel. Our room was tidy, though not impressively outfitted. The soaps provided were typical Westin, but they are very nice for most hotel chains.

Minuses would be that the hotel rooms were not overly impressive. I know everyone raves about the heavenly bed at Westin, but as a pregnant woman, I did not find the bed so heavenly. This could also be because the hotel did not have any king beds available, and my husband and I slept on a full bed. It felt like the tiniest full bed I'd ever slept on, but again, maybe that's because I'm pregnant. The water in the shower never got quite hot enough either. It was warm, and maybe warm enough for some, but I found it to be slightly cold. Also the food at the wedding was only average. They were very accommodating when I asked for well cooked beef (again, pregnancy), but even though I purposefully asked for a charred steak, I would still say the food was just average. On the plus side everything was warm and they used fresh ingredients for the most part. The appetizers served during the cocktail hour were very basic and not my taste. There were mini pizzas, that looked like they could have been mass bought at Costco.

I would stay here again if an event required it and I might recommend the hotel if someone needed one in the Itasca area. However, if just visiting Chicago, there are much better hotels in better areas. The part of Itasca that the hotel is located in is a business park near the Elgin O'Hare expressway, which is not one of the most popular parts of the suburbs to visit. Plus, don't be confused, the Elgin O'Hare expressway does not go to O'Hare, so this hotel is not near the airport if you want something just for air travel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Westin Chicago Northwest

Reviewed December 2, 2010

We had a TERRIBLE and VERY DISAPPOINTED stay with this westin hotel during the thanksgiving holiday.

On our second night, The housekeeper forgot the coffee cups.

The third night, the housekeeper FORGOT LOCK THE ROOM DOOR!!! We found it when we returned back at night. It had been 12 hours since we left in the mornings

I complained it to the management, but they refused to release the lock readings to me until police came. I was told that the housekeeper was in the room for and room service in the afternoon after I left.

The most important part of the housekeepers routine should be to confirm the door is locked when he/she is finished with a room. Leaving the door open leaves the guests belongings at risk. However, this is a major error that the hotel security and management should take seriously.

I will NEVER stay in this hotel and recommend people STAY AWAY from this horrible hotel!!!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank travelers888
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Last saturday we had a wedding reception in Elk Grove. We opted to book the Westin which was only 3 blocks away instead of a hotel that connected with the hall. Boy are we glad we did! The girl at the front desk noticed I made a mistake with booking my 2 rooms she corrected it and even gave me a better rate which she did not have to do. I should have written down her name but she was blonde and had an accent and it was something like Frugashi? Very nice! Then there was bellman Ben who once I told him where we were going offered to drive us in the shuttle and pick us up. It is reasons like this that I always choose WESTINS!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We found a nice price for the hotel online (at the hotel website itself) for 70 dollars a weekend night. Location was more suitable for business but the price was worth it. The hotel is really nice and meet its 4 star rating. there were a lot of children playing in the hallways but we did not hear them into our room. (unsure if it's because the doors provide some sound isolation or because the hotel management asked them to stop playing). Either ways, we would come back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The pool, closed. Refridgerator, none. The wet bar, warm. Rollaway, unavailable. Management, sent comforter for child to sleep on the, FLOOR. Management, for our inconvenience, refusal to compensate. Management, phone etiquitte, is hanging up on the costumer typical for you SHARON?

HOLIDAY again here, not withINN our future.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank HOLIDAYINN5STARS
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The Westin is located in the best location. Close to the expressway and convenient to a variety of restarants and shopping. Lots of amenities (fitness center, pool, sauna, etc.). We had a wonderful stay. I would say there were 2 minor issues: Staff throughout the hotel were a bit unfriendly. The folks at the front desk were fine, but others throughout the hotel were not. Especially one guy who was working with a couple to help plan their wedding. He was almost frowning at us. My other issue would be our room was near the boiler room or something because it was a bit noisey. I did let the front desk know this when we checked out and they said nothing. No apology or anything.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our last night of our across country tour. This hotel was clean, comfortable and hassle free. The restaurant in the hotel is amazing. Don Schulas, fantastic. They have the best steak we have ever had. I think we had our best nights sleep here. We booked from out of town, so we didnt realize how far out of town it actually was. But that was our fault, all in all a great hotel. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
The Westin O'Hare
The Westin O'Hare
#6 of 18 in Rosemont

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!