“Perfect last night stay of our across country honeymoon...”

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
London, Canada
“Perfect last night stay of our across country honeymoon...”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our last night of our across country tour. This hotel was clean, comfortable and hassle free. The restaurant in the hotel is amazing. Don Schulas, fantastic. They have the best steak we have ever had. I think we had our best nights sleep here. We booked from out of town, so we didnt realize how far out of town it actually was. But that was our fault, all in all a great hotel. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed at this hotel and it was great. The room was clean, the shower was amazing and the atmosphere made it all worth the money. It was reasonably priced and we loved it there.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The Westin Chicago Northwest is a first-rate hotel. It is a modern facility that is managed and maintained in an excellent fashion. It is obvious that the management and staff take pride in providing a comfortable and safe stay.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We were staying at the Westin for a basketball tournament and had originally wanted to come in one night early. I had to book that additional night outside the block reserved for our team. When it turned out we were not going to come in until Saturday, I called to cancel the extra night, it turns out they had booked me for two rooms that first night! I was 3 hours past the cancellation window and they were going to charge me for both rooms. I spoke to a manager who quickly cancelled both at no charge.

When we arrived at the Westin, we requested a rollaway. They stated it would be in our room when we arrived back that evening after our games. We returned at 10 pm to find no rollaway and none to be had in the hotel. After disucssions, the hotel sent up a comforter and 2 sheets and my son had to sleep on the floor! In the morning, we inquired about a rollaway for that evening and they said no guarantees...they would let us know by noon. we returned from our games at 3:30 pm with no rollaway and no room cleaning. Negotiating with the hotel did garner us a suite--at nearly full price--which was nice but not what we had wanted--we just wanted beds for everyone.

Saturday night was rather loud as the entire center of the hotel is open and when loud wedding guests are continuing their revelry in the bar, they can be heard nearly on all 12 stories...inside the guest rooms.

We accidentally found out about restaurant specials from another team. The staff had failed to give our entire team the booklet outlining the breakfast, lunch and dinner specials in place for those attenting the tournament. We asked for the booklet and were given one so we were able to share this on the second day with our teammates parents.

The suite was rooomy but, as other double rooms, only had the double beds--which to me were smaller than the ones my kids have at home. I was surprised this hotel has not upgraded to queen size beds in its rooms. The carpeting is really dirty in this suite--needs a really good cleaning and perhaps even replacement.

The final tournament morning, I stayed back from the first game so my two sons could swim with one of their friends. We arrived at the pool only to find it was closed for 2 1/2 hours for refilling. This hotel has a Lifetime Fitness I believe, on-site. While nice, they don't seem to communicate with the hotel--as the hotel is booked near capacity for this tournament and weddings. It would have been nice if they could have waited until afternoon checkout to maintain their pool. Plus the early closing time of nine pm bummed my kids out too as we sometimes did not get in until 8:45 pm after games so they could only swim 10 minutes.

If we return to this tournament next year, I will not stay here again. If you are travelling on business in this area, it is a fine hotel--if you bring your spouse and kids, be prepared to be cozy in a double room bed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank fengshuibabe

Travelers are raving about these Itasca hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. Our friend was gettingmarried at this hotel.

Service: The Front Desk was not very helpful, whether it was during check in or when I needed repairs to our room. I was asked to be upgraded to a larger room or suite for a fee, since I did receive an email about the availability. I was told that there were no suites or larger rooms available. I found out 30 minutes after I checked in, that one of my friends checked in and did not ask to pay for an upgrade, but was upgraded to a suite for free since she signed up for the Starwood Preferred Guest program. I thought that was strange, because I am a Starwood member and I actually offered to pay for my upgrade and did not get one.
We also asked to use the complimentary shuttle and were told that we could not be guaranteed a ride since it was a busy day and we might have to wait a few hours for the shuttle. We were told that, even if we got a ride, we could not be guaranteed a pick-up to bring us back to the hotel. So....we spent more money and rented a car.
This hotel apparently holds lots of weddings. They had a permanent tent set up by the lake. It seems to deal more with volume than with service. It is also a very busy hotel.

The room was clean and it was rather large, but ours had some issues: the air conditioner was not working and the drain in the shower/tub was clogged so we stood in a couple inches of water during each shower. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and left for the wedding. I was told that they would fix it sometime that day. Needless to stay, it was never fixed during our entire stay and we were not given an option to move to another room.

Upon checkout, I was asked about our stay. I mentioned that we had no A/C and that the tub was clogged and all they did was offer to give me some starwood points on my account. I saw them offering this to other couples that morning also for other various reasons. It really did not make up for the hot, sleepless nights.

The room was cheap (about $60 per night). I would recommend this hotel only if you need an inexpensive hotel in the suburbs and can handle the poor service, if you have any issues. It is also approx 30-40 min to the airport and an hour or so to the city of Chicago.

Minnesota, USA
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Westin is a nice property. Very clean, comfortable, modern rooms. Polite and efficient staff. My only complaint was the noise level during a weekend stay in June. I'd have to compare the noise to a spring break hotel*. There were receptions each night I was in Itasca.

Loud/drunken shouting throughout the night, and at times what sounded like drinking games rang through the building. The rooms encircle an open area in the center of the hotel; the noise in the lobby and on each floor carries throughout the guest areas. Someone shouting on floor six was easily heard on floor twelve. And, unfortunately, the open floor plan seemed to encourage people to shout at friends across the floors.

I strongly suspect that the noise is not an issue nights when the Westin isn't hosting weddings. Also, while the hotel is right on the interstate, I could not hear a bit of traffic on floor twelve.

*Disclaimer: While I maintain that the noise level was quite high, the noise volume issue is where my comparison to spring break ends. At no time was I concerned about safety (mine, or that of others), and at no time did I encounter anything that might be even close to inappropriate behavior. The property was spotless. It was simply a volume issue that I've never encountered at any hotel hosting a wedding/event, other than a stereotypical spring break.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Hotel is located in attractive suburban business park, which includes several miles of walking trails around lakes and a golf driving range. Great setting to get away from office. Also has a full service health club adjacent.
Hotel has a full interior atrium (14 floors). The very spacious lobby and central lounge make great places to meet and greet. Lounge food is limited but well prepared.
Rooms are typical high quality Westin rooms. Staff is very helpful!
The main restaurant, Shula's, is good for breakfast and lunch, but heavily over priced for dinner. Unfortunately any other dinner choice requires travel of at least several miles.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!