“Great Weekend with the Folks at the Westin”

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Chicago
“Great Weekend with the Folks at the Westin”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We have now held our third annual Rotary Club President-Elect training at the Northwest Westin in Itasca, IL We will be back for years to come. The staff is just great, accommodating, courteous and consistent. Food is good, rooms are clean but starting to date. Furnishings and carpet need to be upgraded. Starwood bedding is wonderful. Easy to get to, free parking. The lounge is nice, food good and priced right. Shula's is expensive but the service is top shelf. The breakfast buffet is overpriced at $19.95. All in all, a great choice for our almost 550 attendees.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Interstate side. Get a view of the lakes if possible, higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GM-Itasca, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for your 4 star ranking! We are pleased you enjoyed your convention. It is always great to see familiar faces return again and again. We look forward to welcoming you back in 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Troy, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Well, this one is as tricky situation as any I have been in.
Lets start with Hotel itself. Very nicely situated. Very good location. Staff is friendly and show professionalism. Clean through out. Comfy rooms, decent decor to rooms. NO fridge unless you ask for it depending availability. The Bar is located right smack middle of the hotel, so yes, as some guests here mentioned before me, the noise from it can be bothersome at night. Shula's is decent food. Nothing too exciting, but a bit pricey. Good workout area with nice Swimming pool, and jet pool.
Now comes the part which annoyed the heck out of me. This was mentioned by some other guests before, so it was on my mind as I went to check in. 1000 teenage girls screaming on top of their lungs in lobby, atrium, elevators, out of their rooms welcomed me. Apparently they had Vines' meet and greet going on for 2 days. Every time a member of (attention seeking) teenage group came out of their room, the girls would go nuts, as if Jesus Christ himself appeared for them.
We were tortured for 2 days and one night. Hotel folks didnt have capability to stop them. They promised a curfew at 11 on, but nothing. The loud noice went on and on for whole night. The staff kept apologizing on and on too. The parking was over full, so some guests had parked their cars anywhere they thought they can. Cops had a field day.
The reason I am mad at this hotel is, they should have never booked other guests than these teenagers for these two days. OR they should have informed us about possible teenage apocalypse.
And PLEASE stop charging guests extra 15 bucks. You are not a resort of any sort. They didnt even tell me about this charge when I checked in, or checked out. It just appeared on my credit card.
Such a pity......

Room Tip: Go as high as possible to avoid bar noise. AND do check with them before booking the hotel, whether...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PratikA

Travelers are raving about these Itasca hotels

Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I like to take weekend trips with my kids and drive by this hotel quite often. Decided to stay here and I'm so glad I did. We had an awesome room! The hotel was quiet and clean. Loved the open lobby area. Upon check in we were treated wonderfully as for check out. Used the workout room and adjacent gym pool. Both were better that I expected. Overall, I was very pleased and will definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed several time here over last few years. This is approx 20-25 mins from the Ohare Airport. The location is not that great, however the hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. I find this an average Westin property (overall). I will not stay here for personal trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 2, 2014

So, Westin allowed some youtube kids to have a HUGE event in this hotel on 3/1/2014. There were hundreds of screaming girls in the lobby. Since the entire hotel is built around an atrium, it echoed all day until 3 a.m. They told me that they would quiet things down at 11, but it kept going until 3, and then it started again at 5 a.m.

They were gracious enough to refund me for my room, but frankly, I would have rather got a good night's sleep!

Room Tip: don't let them give you a room with an adjoining door! You can hear EVERYTHING next door.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 28, 2014

worst hotel i've ever been too. tons of screaming girls all day for a event and they weren't even being controlled. then when i was sitting in the lobby at night they threatened to kick me out of the hotel if i left my room. kick me out of the hotel? for walking around? okay. f u all

• Stayed February 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 21, 2014

It's hard to get too excited about this property. The staff certainly do a good job and keep the place very clean. It just feels sterile, which is unusual for a Westin property. The hotel must have been a Hyatt or Embassy Suites before because it has that signature 10 story atrium in the middle. There is lots of open space everywhere, including in the rooms, which can be good, but to me, it doesn't feel warm at all. My room had an adjoining room door in place and I could hear everything going on in the room next door, which made me not want to make a noise in my room.

I will likely stay here again since I stick with Starwood, but the Marriott just up the road is a much more comfortable spot if you are staying in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CLT_28211
GM-Itasca, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear oldskool66,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate our loyal Starwood guests. I am glad to hear that you feel the staff do a good job and the hotel was clean. That's important to us. And, we appreciate the feedback regarding the atrium. Your comments have been shared with our management staff and we are beginning to look at ways to create a warmer ambiance throughout the hotel. Thank you for the opportunity to improve and we do hope that you will consider us for a future visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!