“Oh my god!! Screaming girls!”

Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Chicago, Illinois
“Oh my god!! Screaming girls!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

So, Westin allowed some youtube kids to have a HUGE event in this hotel on 3/1/2014. There were hundreds of screaming girls in the lobby. Since the entire hotel is built around an atrium, it echoed all day until 3 a.m. They told me that they would quiet things down at 11, but it kept going until 3, and then it started again at 5 a.m.

They were gracious enough to refund me for my room, but frankly, I would have rather got a good night's sleep!

Room Tip: don't let them give you a room with an adjoining door! You can hear EVERYTHING next door.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 28, 2014

worst hotel i've ever been too. tons of screaming girls all day for a event and they weren't even being controlled. then when i was sitting in the lobby at night they threatened to kick me out of the hotel if i left my room. kick me out of the hotel? for walking around? okay. f u all

• Stayed February 2014

Travelers are raving about these Itasca hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 21, 2014

It's hard to get too excited about this property. The staff certainly do a good job and keep the place very clean. It just feels sterile, which is unusual for a Westin property. The hotel must have been a Hyatt or Embassy Suites before because it has that signature 10 story atrium in the middle. There is lots of open space everywhere, including in the rooms, which can be good, but to me, it doesn't feel warm at all. My room had an adjoining room door in place and I could hear everything going on in the room next door, which made me not want to make a noise in my room.

I will likely stay here again since I stick with Starwood, but the Marriott just up the road is a much more comfortable spot if you are staying in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CLT_28211
GM-Itasca, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear oldskool66,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate our loyal Starwood guests. I am glad to hear that you feel the staff do a good job and the hotel was clean. That's important to us. And, we appreciate the feedback regarding the atrium. Your comments have been shared with our management staff and we are beginning to look at ways to create a warmer ambiance throughout the hotel. Thank you for the opportunity to improve and we do hope that you will consider us for a future visit.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed January 20, 2014

staff was friendly, rooms were clean but walls thin, beds were small for doubles but we managed. There is no vending machines except a ice machine. You have to ask for a microwave and/or refrigerator in your room. Only have 15 microwaves for 100 rooms (1st come 1st serve). Pool was nice but the hot tub was not hot and it closes at 9 pm. If you want to use the exercise area it cost additional for 24 hr pass and there is no free internet in your room but you can go to lobby if you don't want to pay. There is no continental breakfast you have to pay to eat the buffet breakfast which I did not. There is no place close to eat so you have to drive to find a restaurant. It is right off the interstate For some people who like and can afford room service or don't mind paying $5 for milk or $8 for a tea then this might be the place for you. I guess you should expect when you stay at a 4 star hotel that there is not free interenet or free breakfast but amazed I had to pay to workout in the exercise room. All in all not a bad place to stay like I said rooms were clean. I went through priceline and got the room at a reasonable rate but if I had not I would probably not be happy paying full price.

Room Tip: Stayed on 11th floor so didn't hear noise from banquet rooms and view was nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cateyes C,
Thank you for your business and for sharing your comments. We value feedback from our guests and your review will be shared with our management staff. I did want to clarify one item about the fitness center. The Hamilton Lakes Athletic Club is located adjacent to the hotel. Our guests have complimentary use of the indoor pool at that facility and can purchase a day pass to use the full gym. However, we do have our Westin Workout Fitness Studio available on the 12th floor. This facility has state of the art equipment and is available 24 hours a day at no charge for our guests. Based on your comments, we will be reviewing our check in procedures to make sure that we are letting everyone know of this option. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to improve.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at the Westin back in March for business and was pleased to find it clean and well equipped with nice staff.
The entrance hall and bar area is a nice place to meet your colleagues. The steak house on site was also nice. Good choice at the breakfast buffet.

Check-in/out were straightforward and the shuttle bus to my office was very convenient if available, otherwise the hotel arranged cabs no problem.

The room was large and clean with two massive beds. Comfortable too. The water and toiletries were replensished daily - the water was especially useful.
The wifi was fine.

There was not much in walking distance but there was a little lake out back if you wanted to stretch your legs. Also a little shop onsite with essentials and gift/tourist bits.

The hotel was nice and close to the airport too.
Only downside was a dodgy cab on our way back to the airport but that is not the hotels fault! (Though they did call them for us)

We got a cab to the train station nearby and caught the train into the city which was good to see, probably about an hour but no changes.

Room Tip: If i went again I would go to the top floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM-Itasca, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Georgewina,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us. We know that you have a lot of choices in hotels and we value feedback from our guests to help us know what we are doing well, and what we can improve on. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comment about the taxi with our front desk staff to review. Thanks for letting us know - we want to make sure we are recommending the right taxi companies. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a future visit. Please keep us in mind. Thank you!
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I usually stay at the Westin O’Hare over the Christmas holidays and decided to stay at Westin Itasca instead for 3 nights over Christmas and glad we did.

We chose the hotel due to their pet friendly policy and nice grounds to walk them among. Although The Westin O’Hare puts on quite a festive holiday display, despite the salsa background music playing over the lobby intercom on Christmas day, the Itasca staff clearly made up the difference and festive spirit superior to any comparable 4 star hotel.

The staff made us feel so welcome starting with Kelly during reservations answering all my questions followed by Pat and Mary hosting the restaurant, every time we walked by, they gave our dogs so much attention and really made us feel at home.

When we noticed our room was too warm and no way to cool it down, housekeeping immediately sent up a fan along with a dog bed and followed up afterwards.

Our dogs have stayed with us in nice hotels across the country and enjoy their company on trips but non as enjoyable as with Westin Itasca staff.

Only the older bell captain must not have approved of dogs in “his” hotel and made us feel unwelcome, otherwise our stay was great. If only the weather permitted us to spend more time enjoying the grounds and endless paths, maybe next Spring.

Upon reading some negative reviews, we had our doubts at first, but found every complaint was unfounded and found our stay to be top notch as experienced. The rooms were remodeled, well maintained, clean.

The atrium was not loud as so many complained about, The staff couldn't do more for us if they tried. This was a vacation we look forward to again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GM-Itasca, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Frank M.,
Thank you for giving us a chance over the recent holiday and for sharing your experience here at the Westin Chicago Northwest! We are so happy to hear that you and your dogs enjoyed your visit! Your comments will be shared with our staff, especially Kelly, Pat and Mary. Thank you for recognizing them for their customer service. We do hope that you will return in the spring. Please feel free to contact me personally is I can help with your plans. Thank you!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Check-in was quick and easy. The room was quite large, but the bathroom was about average size. There was a fair amount of dead space in the room so the bathroom and dressing area could have been a little bigger. There was a decent desk with comfortable chair for working.

The top blanket on the bed had a some sort of stain (maybe blood) on the under side. The bed was a little firm for me. I hate when hotels use just a sheet and heavy duvet cover. I guess they all do it now for cleaning purposes.

All the rooms around a center atrium that goes to the roof on the 12th floor. An interesting look, but it carries the noise from the bar, which was right in the center of the atrium with no top on it. So, if you like to go to early, you can definitely hear the noise from the bar. Seems like a trellis over the bar area would dampen the noise while allowing light in. Other than that it is very quiet.

It is pretty much what you would expect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear skline2,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. Guest feedback is important to us. I do apologize for the condition of the blanket in your room. Your review will be shared with our Director of Housekeeping for follow up. We do hope that you will consider us again for a future stay. Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of assistance with your plans. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
The Westin O'Hare
The Westin O'Hare
#5 of 18 in Rosemont
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,131 reviews
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago

Been to Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!