“A Lovely Property But Pool Only Open 3 Days Per Week”

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a lovely property in a great location. The rooms are huge, the lobby is a gorgeous atrium and the amenities are high-end. Any poster stating otherwise has an unrealistic expectations. This is a classy place. The beds are comfortable, huge bathrooms, open feel, plenty of cable channels although the TV was a bit small because it is such a big room and the beds are so far away.

There were some service letdowns that I experienced. As usual, when checking in during the night audit shift (after 11PM), I'm not greeted with the customer service that I would during a 1st or 2nd shift check-in. OK, I can live with that.

The real disappointment for me is the pool. I purchased this property through Priceline where a pool was a "Guaranteed Amenity". I looked in and the pool was gorgeous with a nice hot tub to boot. The problem is that the pool is only open Fr-Sa-Su, so just 3 days per week. That's incredibly disappointing. Business people like to relax too.

I didn't eat here but I had some snacks and an iced beverage at the Starbucks. The food was fine but my iced mocha did not taste like it came from a real Starbucks. That was a pretty minor detail.

Please open the pool up for all guests!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear montognese,
Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience. I'm glad to hear that you found the hotel to be comfortable and in a great location. I would like to share an update on the pool hours. The adjacent Northwest Athletic Club is currently closed for a full renovation. This has affected the hours that the pool is available through the end of the year. I do apologize that this was not communicated when you booked through Priceline. The information was provided to all 3rd party booking sites and we have followed up directly with your concern to make sure the correct information is communicated on their website. We hope that you will have the opportunity to return next year once the renovations of the Northwest Athletic Club are complete. Thank you again for the feedback!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Chicago Northwest

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

There's nothing special about this property and as per earlier reviews is not really up to par with the Westin promise. It's and old property with an embassy suites like open atrium design which makes it very dated and noisy. That said, the last several times I have been upgraded to a very spacious one bedroom suite which I enjoyed. Room service was quite sad, but the sushi place next door is a gem. Otherwise this place is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Abeona,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is important to us and we appreciate your time in sharing your experience. Thank you.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had been to this Westin a few years ago. Back then, the service was great, and the atmosphere was great. This is why I returned. I figured it would be a safe bet. Sadly, this is no longer the case and I will not be returning again.

It started immediately upon check in and ran all the way through to the end of the weekend. I booked one night with points and one night with my AAA discount on the phone. I was told by the representative that breakfast would be included for my paid night. This seemed accurate, since the last time I stayed, with the same deal, I was greeted at checkout, thanked for being starwoods preferred guest and handed some vouchers for breakfast, which I didn't even know were included and didn't expect to receive.

When I got there Friday night, the girl who checked me in informed me that breakfast was not included. When I explained that it was included according to the person who took my reservation, she argued with me for a few minutes before telling me to go to my room and call 0, get connected to reservations help line, and then have them call her to confirm this. So at 10:30 pm, after working all day and driving about an hour to the hotel i proceed to my room to call the reservations help line (keep in mind, in order to do this, I have to be connected back to the front desk, who then connects me to reservations) So after holding for a few minutes, they confirmed that breakfast was included. They cannot call the hotel. So now I am back to square one... with the front desk not believing me. I called back the front desk, and luckily, got Josh, who is the only person there who seemed to know what was going on. He said breakfast would be included and a voucher would be waiting for me for breakfast at Shula's. I was really peeved b/c I have worked in hospitality, and myself (or anyone on my team) would have just called the reservation desk to confirm as opposed to putting a customer through that hassle. It's just what good representatives do and what good service looks like.

The architecture of the hotel is really beautiful, BUT I agree with the other comments about how it is loud. The rooms are centered around the bar, and it sounded like the party was happening RIGHT OUTSIDE my door. I didn't sleep well at all. Wanted to go work out, but the fitness center was closed for renovations. Tried to book a shuttle to get something to eat, but you have to "schedule" it to come and it wasn't "scheduled to come" until 8pm.

This morning, Sunday, my husband and I head to Shula's for the free breakfast. I was told I'm not on the list. I had to argue a second time about how my breakfast was included and Josh at the front desk took care of this for me Friday night. The lady at Shula's called the front desk and talked to Josh who told her to give me the free breakfast. The breakfast wasn't even good, as I remembered it being the last time. It was cold, fatty bacon, and a few pastries.

Upon checkout, I went to thank Josh for all his help in getting things sorted out. He proceeds to tell me that he did me some sort of "favor" by getting the breakfast, and that it actually wasn't included in the stay and that the reservations agent lied to me! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is the THIRD time I have had to argue for a free breakfast, which I was told TWICE was included in my stay, and it wasn't even worth the argument b/c I barely ate anything there anyway.

Honestly, this is the third starwood hotel I have had issues with in the past six months (the other two included bedbugs at a Sheraton in NYC and a rude concierge at one of the villa properties in Phoenix) I have NEVER encountered such poor service and rude representatives at any of the Hilton or Marriott properties, and probably will not stay a Starwood property again. I travel a lot and would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: There aren't really any quiet rooms b/c there is an open area where the bar is right in the midd...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear mel131,
I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you described. I would like to extend my apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced. I understand your frustration, this is not the level of service that you should expect from Westin and from the Westin Chicago Northwest. Your comments will be shared with our management team and provide us the opportunity to improve. Thank you for sharing the feedback.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I arrived at the hotel after midnight after a long flight and needed a cab for a meeting the following morning. Asked the attendant who checked me in to call and book a cab for the morning and was brushed off and instructed to just have someone call in the morning because he didn't want to lift a finger to do it.

On getting to my room discovered there was no TV remote, tried to turn the TV on manually and it wasn't even plugged in. I called the front desk to request a remote and who begrudgingly said he would send someone up to look at it. When the engineer came, he didn't have the remote that I specifically requested and wanted to move all the furniture to work on the TV. At this point, I told engineer to just deal with it in the morning.

Given it was after midnight and long flight, I was hungry, so looked in the minibar. To my SHOCK there wasn't a single drink or snack in the minibar. Now I'm not going to argue a $10 box of nuts is a good value, but at this point that is pretty standard fair in hotels. I called down for room service and was told the only thing they had available was a turkey BLT. Fine with me, you don't have a full staff at night, I get that. $24 turkey club.

Oh, also a huge stain on the carpet.

Extremely disappointed, Westin has higher standards, how has Westin allowed this operator to stay branded Westin?

1  Thank Michaelsn

Dear Michaelsn,
I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Please accept my apologies. We want to exceed our guests' expectations and we fell short during your stay. Your comments will be shared with our management staff. I did want to mention the mini bar. We do not currently stock the minibars, it was not something that was missed. I do know that this could create some confusion. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide the level of service that you deserve. Thank you for sharing your feedback, it's important for us to hear from our guests. Thank you.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I spent two nights at the hotel to attend a conference. The staff was customer-friendly, the room was clean and the food was delicious. The only downside was that there is nothing close by to do outside of the hotel; it basically is situated in a business park.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to welcome you back for a future conference. For things to do in the area, keep in mind that the hotel is approximately five miles from Woodfield Mall with many dining and entertainment options. Shuttle service is available as well, arrangements can be made with the bellstaff or front desk. Thank you!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Westin Itasca is located directly off I-290. The location is very close to Schaumburg and other west suburbs. The purpose of my trip was for a wedding. The hotel failed in almost all areas, especially service.

Hotel Itself: You can tell this hotel is renovated older hotel. I learned from staff that years ago it used to be a Wyndham. The lobby looks nice and is newly renovated in the past 3 to 5 years. The hallway carpets show severe wear and stains. I was very surprised that Starwood hotels would allow this to pass in Quality Assurance inspections. There were numerous stains from someone getting sick, pretty gross. Also was visible water damage in the hallways, I was very surprised.

Rooms: The rooms were in ok shape. Linens and towels were spotless. The housekeeper did a good job of cleaning the room. But there were a lot of stains on the carpet and tons of scratches on the furniture. The room was large, allowing us to have ample room to get ready. The iron and ironing board didn't work. Another irritating thing about this hotel were the guest room keys. I had my keys remade 8 times during a 2 night stay - this was very annoying because there was only 1 front desk agent on staff the entire time. The manager was standing off to the side - ridiculous. The bed was comfortable.

Staff: This is where the hotel really failed. All hotels have beds, tv's, numerous amenities, but what sets them apart is the service. From the moment of arrival you can tell the hotel staff didn't care. When we pulled up we couldn't find anyone to unload our luggage, no valet attendant insight. We checked in and the front desk agent was very rude. We asked if it was possible to move to a floor with the rest of our property and we offered to pay if required, her immediate answer was NO. Her tone of voice made us feel very angry. We took our room and we came back down after changing for our event and asked another clerk of why the carpet was heavily stained and she didn't have an answer. We just stayed in our room. Next morning we asked housekeeping if they could give us 30 mins before cleaning our room ( by the way it was 8:15am when we asked) because we were changing for an event and she just ignored us. Our room wasn't cleaned, oh well I thought - no one really cares here. Later in the afternoon around 1pm, I had to get my neice's diaper bag from my room and my keys didn't work again. I asked a housekeeper and her supervisor if I provide my ID - would they let me into my room. I told her I would go downstairs but the line was 20 people long. Their immediate response was NO - again in a very rude tone. I begged and my crying baby niece came up and they finally opened the door. I addressed the lock issue with front desk staff and pretty much no response. Then we went to Shula's Steakhouse for some breakfast. We got there and they stopped serving ( we were a group of 7). We ordered some juice and afterward the server said no breakfast. Ok we were looking for an alternative - while waiting we asked for glasses of water for the table. Instead of serving us the server (name started with a C) immediately started yelling at me - telling me how did I get juice, you won't get water and he made me feel like a 2nd class citizen. I was fuming and my family had to calm me down - how dare a staff of this establishment talk to me in this manner. I wasn't asking the staff to do a miracle - all I was asking for was a glass of water. I approached the manager and her response was numb. She sent someone over with a pitcher and filled up our glasses. Wow at this point I gave up on this hotel. I have been treated better at Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn's and many other lower priced hotels. The last staff fallout was at checkout. We requested luggage assistance and the service express staff said no one was available and no luggage carts. I was like what. We dragged down 3 rooms worth of luggage and loaded our cars ourself. I guess was expected from the previous 2 days of issues. Then I went to settle my bill and the front desk agent said I had $56.00 in breakfast charges. I told her no, we didn't bill anything to the room. I asked her to verify and she said it was me. She stated "oh this will take a while and we have people waiting- can I just email you a receipt". I told her NO, the entire stay all staff members were rude and I told her I want this corrected now. After 30 mins of looking the agent found the in room receipts. The charge was to go to room 401 not 427. I heard her tell the front desk manager that both rooms were charged. Something didn't seem right about the billing. Either it was an honest mistake or they were trying to make some extra money. The entire time she was rude.

Other: Skip the restaurant - horrible service and food. I filed a complaint with Starwood hotels and I haven't received a response.

Bottom line - this hotel is a skip. It is not worth price they are asking. I would skip this and look at the alternatives like the Hyatt Place or other hotels in Schaumburg.

Room Tip: Most rooms have heavily soiled carpets.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear samswildworld,
I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced. Guest satisfaction is our top priority so please accept my apologies for the issues during your stay. Your comments will be shared with our management team. Thank you for your taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Perfectly fine hotel.. clean, smells good and comfortable beds. A bit more basic than your regular Westin, though.. (for example, when I arrived at 1 am and asked the frontdesk about getting a cab to O'Hare in the morning, they said I had to arrange for one the night before and gave me a business card with a cab company's number. Normally -- at a Westin -- I kinda expect the front desk guy to make those arrangements... particularly if they have the number right there at their finger tips...) On the plus side, my room A/C was not working and they managed to get a maintenance guy up there at 130 am to fix it.. Many suburban hotels these days don't seem to have 24 hr. maintenance...

Room Tip: It's an old hotel, so if a room in perfect working order is important to you, say so when checki...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding you recent stay with us. It's feedback like yours that helps us continually review and improve our service. Your comments will be shared with our management team. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
The Westin O'Hare
The Westin O'Hare
#6 of 18 in Rosemont

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!