“Attended a Conference”

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I spent two nights at the hotel to attend a conference. The staff was customer-friendly, the room was clean and the food was delicious. The only downside was that there is nothing close by to do outside of the hotel; it basically is situated in a business park.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to welcome you back for a future conference. For things to do in the area, keep in mind that the hotel is approximately five miles from Woodfield Mall with many dining and entertainment options. Shuttle service is available as well, arrangements can be made with the bellstaff or front desk. Thank you!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Westin Itasca is located directly off I-290. The location is very close to Schaumburg and other west suburbs. The purpose of my trip was for a wedding. The hotel failed in almost all areas, especially service.

Hotel Itself: You can tell this hotel is renovated older hotel. I learned from staff that years ago it used to be a Wyndham. The lobby looks nice and is newly renovated in the past 3 to 5 years. The hallway carpets show severe wear and stains. I was very surprised that Starwood hotels would allow this to pass in Quality Assurance inspections. There were numerous stains from someone getting sick, pretty gross. Also was visible water damage in the hallways, I was very surprised.

Rooms: The rooms were in ok shape. Linens and towels were spotless. The housekeeper did a good job of cleaning the room. But there were a lot of stains on the carpet and tons of scratches on the furniture. The room was large, allowing us to have ample room to get ready. The iron and ironing board didn't work. Another irritating thing about this hotel were the guest room keys. I had my keys remade 8 times during a 2 night stay - this was very annoying because there was only 1 front desk agent on staff the entire time. The manager was standing off to the side - ridiculous. The bed was comfortable.

Staff: This is where the hotel really failed. All hotels have beds, tv's, numerous amenities, but what sets them apart is the service. From the moment of arrival you can tell the hotel staff didn't care. When we pulled up we couldn't find anyone to unload our luggage, no valet attendant insight. We checked in and the front desk agent was very rude. We asked if it was possible to move to a floor with the rest of our property and we offered to pay if required, her immediate answer was NO. Her tone of voice made us feel very angry. We took our room and we came back down after changing for our event and asked another clerk of why the carpet was heavily stained and she didn't have an answer. We just stayed in our room. Next morning we asked housekeeping if they could give us 30 mins before cleaning our room ( by the way it was 8:15am when we asked) because we were changing for an event and she just ignored us. Our room wasn't cleaned, oh well I thought - no one really cares here. Later in the afternoon around 1pm, I had to get my neice's diaper bag from my room and my keys didn't work again. I asked a housekeeper and her supervisor if I provide my ID - would they let me into my room. I told her I would go downstairs but the line was 20 people long. Their immediate response was NO - again in a very rude tone. I begged and my crying baby niece came up and they finally opened the door. I addressed the lock issue with front desk staff and pretty much no response. Then we went to Shula's Steakhouse for some breakfast. We got there and they stopped serving ( we were a group of 7). We ordered some juice and afterward the server said no breakfast. Ok we were looking for an alternative - while waiting we asked for glasses of water for the table. Instead of serving us the server (name started with a C) immediately started yelling at me - telling me how did I get juice, you won't get water and he made me feel like a 2nd class citizen. I was fuming and my family had to calm me down - how dare a staff of this establishment talk to me in this manner. I wasn't asking the staff to do a miracle - all I was asking for was a glass of water. I approached the manager and her response was numb. She sent someone over with a pitcher and filled up our glasses. Wow at this point I gave up on this hotel. I have been treated better at Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn's and many other lower priced hotels. The last staff fallout was at checkout. We requested luggage assistance and the service express staff said no one was available and no luggage carts. I was like what. We dragged down 3 rooms worth of luggage and loaded our cars ourself. I guess was expected from the previous 2 days of issues. Then I went to settle my bill and the front desk agent said I had $56.00 in breakfast charges. I told her no, we didn't bill anything to the room. I asked her to verify and she said it was me. She stated "oh this will take a while and we have people waiting- can I just email you a receipt". I told her NO, the entire stay all staff members were rude and I told her I want this corrected now. After 30 mins of looking the agent found the in room receipts. The charge was to go to room 401 not 427. I heard her tell the front desk manager that both rooms were charged. Something didn't seem right about the billing. Either it was an honest mistake or they were trying to make some extra money. The entire time she was rude.

Other: Skip the restaurant - horrible service and food. I filed a complaint with Starwood hotels and I haven't received a response.

Bottom line - this hotel is a skip. It is not worth price they are asking. I would skip this and look at the alternatives like the Hyatt Place or other hotels in Schaumburg.

Room Tip: Most rooms have heavily soiled carpets.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear samswildworld,
I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced. Guest satisfaction is our top priority so please accept my apologies for the issues during your stay. Your comments will be shared with our management team. Thank you for your taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Perfectly fine hotel.. clean, smells good and comfortable beds. A bit more basic than your regular Westin, though.. (for example, when I arrived at 1 am and asked the frontdesk about getting a cab to O'Hare in the morning, they said I had to arrange for one the night before and gave me a business card with a cab company's number. Normally -- at a Westin -- I kinda expect the front desk guy to make those arrangements... particularly if they have the number right there at their finger tips...) On the plus side, my room A/C was not working and they managed to get a maintenance guy up there at 130 am to fix it.. Many suburban hotels these days don't seem to have 24 hr. maintenance...

Room Tip: It's an old hotel, so if a room in perfect working order is important to you, say so when checki...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding you recent stay with us. It's feedback like yours that helps us continually review and improve our service. Your comments will be shared with our management team. Thank you!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just paid double for a room the fraction of the size in lower Manhattan last week, so when I walked into this room, it felt cavernous - so much space! The hotel is fine - I stayed there b/c a friend's wedding was held there. Not the most luxurious place, but everyone was nice, the rooms were clean - and yes, the Westin beds never disappoint. It's quite far from Chicago, so I'll likely never stay there again (unless there's another wedding there), but it met my needs for the night I was there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We are glad that you chose to stay with us for your friend's wedding. We appreciate your comments and will share your feedback with our management team. Thank you.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The lobby was very nice upon arrival. We had our two children with us and they loved the pool. I was very pleased they offered cribs. The only complaint was the noise from the lobby when my family was trying to sleep but it's expected when wedding receptions are happening.i would definitely stay here again. My only recommendation would be to make sure to bring your own snacks and drinks unless you want to spend a lot at the gift shop.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to the area. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would stay here again. We hope to welcome you back!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Drove up to a beautiful looking property & walked in to a lovely lobby. Upon check in, I asked for the concierge floor as a preferred SPG member. I was told there was no concierge floor. When asked about breakfast, I was told only at Shula's Steak House. When given my room, the internet didn't work. When I called the front desk, they told me there is problems on the top floor & I could move to the 8th floor where WIFI seemed historically better. After being refused a 'better' room when I asked, I was especially turned off when I found they were only 15% full. Only restaurant was Shula's for dinner or breakfast....not much for options. Hotel bar was closed on Sunday. Tub area in bathroom was old & needed new grout, etc. Bottom line disappointment for a Westin.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. It's disappointing for me to hear that we did not meet your expecations and I do apologize for that. Your feedback is important for us to hear and will be reviewed by our management team. We always look for ways to improve our service. Thank you and I do hope you will give us another opportunity.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Where do I begin? Our daughter was getting married at a nearby CC & we chose the Westin as our "home base" for the wedding weekend. We did not secure a "block" of rooms for the out of town guests because there just wouldn't be that many out of towners & we had to guarantee 30 rooms. Our other selection for guests was the nearby Hyatt Place Itasca. The only reason we did not use Hyatt Place was that they didn't have suites. (This little "boutique" hotel is a gem with great staff who actually get to know you, free breakfast, a little bar & small Starbucks type cafe.) At the Westin, we originally booked a regular room, but changed our minds to a suite since we were to host family members in between ceremony & reception. The suite came with a wet bar. NO REFRIGERATOR, NO MICROWAVE. Upon check-in, we were told that we had to request a refrigerator if we wanted one & they had none. When we were insistent that a refrig was necessary, they blah, blah, blahed us & said as soon as one came available...never heard anything more about that the whole weekend. This suite was very spacious & did accommodate our in-between party just fine, thanks to our two insulated coolers & purchased ice. There was a "wine refrig" that only goes to 50F, but it never worked. This room had carpet that has probably been there since it was the Hamilton back in 1990. Yes, copious & unnecessary bedding as mentioned in previous reviews. The small toilet/bathtub is lit by a 30 watt bulb. It is inconceivable to us that you would provide such a big space for entertaining & not have a refrigerator. This hotel is isolated amongst industrial/office complex so you will have to get back on the highway & travel a bit to find any other restaurants or convenient stores, like when you need ice to fill your coolers since there is no refrigerator in the room. This weekend the hotel was filled due to several weddings taking place, so long lines at check-in, long waits for elevators. There was also a convention of old car owners, so a good portion of the parking lot was roped off for the old car club parking, which meant a filled parking lot. The under-staff staff was friendly, I must admit, under the above circumstances & after complaining about the refrig, they did knock off some ridiculous extra room fee of $10 a nite (which is taxed at 20+%?). This hotel is not easily near ORD & is at least 30 miles from Chicago.

Room Tip: Take a sleeping pill.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing our hotel. We value your feedback and I do apologize that we did not meet your expecations. Your comments will be reviewed. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Radisson Hotel Schaumburg
Radisson Hotel Schaumburg
#4 of 29 in Schaumburg

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!