“Very disappointing...coming from a Westin loyalist!”

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed December 4, 2012

As a SPG loyalist, I was looking forward to my one-night business stay at the Westin Chicago. For business travel, I'm mostly focused on a clean room, access to a fitness center, free wifi, and peace and quiet! I am writing this review past midnight so you can guess that I'm getting none of the peace and quiet. The layout of the hotel means that every conversation from the 1st floor bar level magnifies to the upper floors (I'm on 7). I'm counting down the minutes until the bar closes down so that I can get some quiet.

I am regretting this reservation and will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Doesn't appear to be any good rooms as they all open to the open-air lobby and the Hotel Bar is...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my apologies that we were not able to deliver on all of your expectations as a business traveler. We value our SPG guests and hope that you will continue to be a loyal Westin guest. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for several nights because I have an office nearby. Getting here from O'Hare was easy. The parking at the hotel was easy & complimentary. The rooms were nice & the service was very good. The only issue encountered was with breakfast. It was included in the rate, but the people administering the process were a little over zealous - telling people where to sit, repeatedly asking others to "check in", etc. Not a great way to start the day.

• Stayed: November 2012
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. And, we appreciate the feedback regarding your breakfast experience. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and your comments will be shared with the management team in the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town for business. Thank you.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We attended a business function at this Westin and stayed two nights. The hotel is spotless with wonderful friendly staff. Our large room was on the 4th floor and had a very comfortable king size bed, lovely linens and pillows, nice bathroom (shower heads to die for!) and separate vanity area, Starbuck's coffee too.
The building is gorgeous with lovely open lobby and glass elevators, all maintained perfectly.
At first glance you might think that there is nothing close, but you would be wrong. The Woodfield Mall is about ten minutes away, with restaurants and movies as well as the many shops. We asked the very accommodating young man at the door and he provided us with a two sided sheet of restaurants in the area. We also found a little diner called Teddy's that had killer breakfasts.
The hotel is located on acres of green space and lakes, as pretty as it had seemed on the internet photos. We had a number of walks around with our two collies who were very warmly welcomed at the hotel.
The hotel has a shuttle to the mall, valet parking, and plenty of free parking too.
We are looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: Our room was on the fourth floor across the atrium from the elevators. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your wonderful stay here at the Westin Chicago Northwest! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit. Your comments will be shared with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business for one night. 2 minute checkin. Nice room. Quiet given the cavernous lobby. Room was clean and shuttle driver was very courteous. Room service forgot a glass of wine but brought it right up after it was pointed out. Food was good.

• Stayed: September 2012
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and that the room service error was corrected quickly. We hope to welcome you back on your next business trip to the area. Thank you!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I understand the corporate campus of McDonald's is nearby, and there is a tall office building adjacent to this Westin, but other than that... why are would you choose to stay out here? This Westin is on the back side of O'Hare, and does not have a shuttle to/from the airport.

The building itself is pretty plain, with a 70's type atrium. The rooms are clean but spartan, and interestingly there were absolutely no information about the hotel to be found. I searched every drawer, but no hotel guide. I finally called the front desk because I wanted to know what the dining options were in the hotel. The young woman who I spoke with told me everything I needed to know, but it seems odd to have to do that.

This brings us to the dining options: Not a lot. There is a lobby bar with a food menu and there is a Shula's Steakhouse. I suspect if you're staying here you're doing business with one of the businesses in the area, so I guess you're on an expense account - so perhaps that's how you afford Shula's. It's flat out painfully expensive. The options in the lobby bar will do, but hopefully you're not eating there more than 1 or 2 nights. There is a Japanese restaurant in the office building attached to the hotel, and a deli that serves breakfast and lunch. If you're looking for other options, it's quite a drive to something else.

The staff is very good - up to Westin standards, but the hotel is just drab. If you're staying here, you must be doing business in the area, or at a meeting like I was, but there isn't really any other reason to be out in Itasca.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. Your comments will be reviewed and shared with our management staff. While we agree that we are a great choice for those doing business in the area, we also feel that we have a lot to offer for other trips as well. Keep in mind that we are located only a few miles from Woodfield Mall and the many dining and entertainment options near the mall. We do offer complimentary shuttle service to/from the mall as well as the Itasca Train Station for those that want to go downtown. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future, please let us know if we can help with future plans. Thank you.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Service is great and the entire facility is spotless. It's accessible from the airport (O'Hare) fairly quickly except at the peak of rush hour. There's a covered walkway to nearby offices, so you don't have to deal with Chicago winters to get to a meeting. The rooms are nice, and meet the standard for this price range. Bedding is comfortable, and the separate vanity area outside of the bathroom was appreciated. The breakfast buffet is excellent and worth the cost. Shula's steakhouse is some of the best food you will ever eat.

The main downside is that with the atrium style lobby that's the height of the building combined with the acoustically reflective ceiling means that you can hear a pin drop in the lobby, even up to the tenth floor. If they're setting up for a meeting or reception in the lobby, you're probably not sleeping past 630 or 700 due to noise. However, this property caters to business travelers, so you're most likely getting up at that time anyway.

Overall - Recommended.

Hint - returning to the Airport via the expressway requires 1.50 exact change. Going up route 19 will avoid that.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the room, service and food. We agree that we are a great choice for business travelers and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to the area. Thank you.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I worked with both Susan and Samantha and they were so helpful and great to work with. I had both my Wedding Ceremony and Reception in the Lakeside Pavillion and the turnover of the room looked beautiful! The staff was extremely organized and responsive to our needs throughout the day and night. The food was spectacular and I have received so many compliments on how delicious it was. The Westin truly made my Wedding Day one that I will remember forever and it totally surpassed my expectations. I would highly recommend this venue for your wedding...mine was truly magical.

Room Tip: Our corner suite was beautiful...we had a room of the lake, the downtown Chicago skyline and the Pav...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Westin Chicago Northwest as the location for your wedding. We are always honored to be a part of this special day and we are so glad to hear that it was a wonderful experience for you. Your comments will be shared with our staff. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel
Radisson Hotel Schaumburg
Radisson Hotel Schaumburg
#4 of 29 in Schaumburg
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!