“Nice Stay but Nickel and Dimed with a $10/day “Facility Fee””

The Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I would rate this hotel better, but I do feel that a $10/day “Facility Fee” is simply a poor choice of revenue for a premium hotel! It is just a way to nickel and dime guests.

Large hotel in middle of business area, adjacent to expressway, there is no “touristy” things in area, and downtown Chicago is far, so this place is for the businessman. Hotel is ample, has a spacious atrium, staff is quick and attentive, but not overly friendly. Hotel does have a stale feel, but that is expected of a business hotel.

Due to SPG gold, I was upgraded to 12 floor, spg floor, corner suite 1205, spacious, corner room, large windows, nice view. Rooms are ok, starting to show age with minor rug tears, and bathroom wallpaper tears. I did like that they have fridge and starbucks coffe. I think we were under hotel’s AC unit because at night I did feel a slight vibration, in morning I could hear hallway conversations, so if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.
Ample free parking.

Lobby has one free desktop with internet/printer, but there are always people on it. You can use business center for a fee. I dined at Shula’s steakhouse, excellent food/service, very pricey, but I did use a $50 coupon that you can find easily online. This was best part of stay.

The gym on 12th floor is very nice, all treadmills work, new, with built in tv, free weights and universal machine, towels, I did like this, one of the better ones I have been on.
I would not recommend this hotel unless you are in business in proximity.

Room Tip: Tip: Look for Shula’s coupon online so you can enjoy dinner. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleep...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ORD-TGU
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your feedback. Please know that we do value feedback from our guests and appreciate your comments. Your comments regarding your suite are important to us and we will make sure that the room is inspected for any needed updates. The feedback regarding the facility fee is noted as well. And, we are glad that you enjoyed Shula’s and the workout room. Again, thank you for your time in sharing your comments.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a week surrounding Christmas 2011. We stayed in a corner suite as we had before while we were at conferences at this location.

The corner suites are nicely decorated and large. We entertained 22 adults and 5 children in the suite one evening and had plenty of room. We even brought in a catering company that made fresh crepes (appetizers, sandwiches and desserts) in the small kitchen area. "GottaBeeCrepes" out of Evanston - did a great job!!

When we checked in, were asked to take the corner suite on the 3rd floor - right above the monster air conditioning and heating unit outside the hotel. We were informed that ALL of the other suites were already booked... yet there were very few cars in the parking lot, and almost nobody walking through this hotel at any time of day or night!!??? We would have greatly preferred a higher floor, but they didn't want to give us one... likely because we were using our Westin Points for the room, and they like to give you the worst room possible when you use points.

What little front desk staff we saw during this 8-day trip were pleasant, but we never saw a bell man or valet for the car. We simply parked the car in the valet spots and entered the hotel from there on our own. There was never anyone manning the bar on any of the nights were were at this hotel and there was a skeleton crew at the Shula's Steakhouse that was empty most times I poked my head inside.

The Health Center Pool was supposed to have gone through a remodel in early December, but the hot tub still didn't get very warm, and the button to work the jets didn't work!

I know we were there at Christmas, and the hotel might have been at minimum capacity, but for my 12,000 points per night, I expected better service. I expected a valet when we had bags and bags of gifts to bring into the hotel. I wanted to go downstairs and get a drink every once in a while. I wanted the hot tub to be hot. I wanted a room that didn't have the sound of a jet engine outside the window. Was that too much to ask??

Maybe at a different time of year, I would have gotten my Christmas wishes... but not during late December of 2011.

Room Tip: Go for the corner suites.... above the 5th floor... and not the ones in the Northwest corner of the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2011

As you walk into this Westin property you're immediately struck by the open atrium. Almost all rooms open directly to walkways overlooking a 12 story glass topped atrium. Even with the size and hubbub of a lobby, this large hotel was quiet. Sound didn't carry very far. The rooms themselves are slightly larger than the standard hotel room and well appointed. The mattresses were very comfy and we never had to fiddle with the thermometer. The bathroom was a little cramped, but outside it was a dressing area with a robe hanging in the closet. There were complimentary bottles of water on the desk, which came in handy.
This hotel sits alone in an upscale business park complex, which is reflected in how the rooms are priced. The expectation is a business crowd with expense accounts. There is no shuttle from O'Hare, which is located 10-12 miles from the hotel. You'll need to drive to get to mass transit to Chicago, or take a car the 27 miles to the city.
The room fridge is locked and probably contains overpriced snacks and drinks. The "facility fee" which pops up when you make reservations is a big joke. It's really part of the room charge and is reflected as such when you get the bill. If you are with a large group that has booked many rooms, they drop the charge.
Another place where you need an expense account is Shula's, the on site restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. You'll need a car if you're going to try and find food at a more reasonable price. If you're on business, eat at Shula's and let your company pick up the tab.
This is another one of those hotels that figure they'll gouge you for wi-fi. I continue to be dumfounded as to why seemingly upscale hotels do not include this in the room price, while other cheaper chains do. I also expect that most of their clientele have smart phones, so they can't be making much on this fee. I got all the connectivity I needed through my phone.
The other gripe I have with the hotel is their placement of handicap parking vis-a-vis valet parking. The valet parking spots are the closest you can get to the hotel, while the handicap parking is located at least 30 ft farther. It may not seem as much, except to the poor individual with breathing issues on a cold windy day.
All in all, this is a nice place for the business crowd. If I hadn't been there with a large group, I would have found something else that offered a free breakfast buffet and free wi-fi at a lower price...but that's because I don't have an expense account.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with a Chicago skyline. My view was of the parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My family to include my husband and 2 year old decided to take a roadtrip from St. Louis to Chicago for the weekend. So we did our research and chose this hotel as they had a pool which my son was overly interested in swimming and the hotel looked pretty decent and only approx 30min from downtown chicago. To our surprise once we got there we found out the pool was not working and the pump was out (of couse this information was not posted to the hotels website.

So to the service issue at the front Desk: Pete was the front desk attendant at check in. He told us the situation about the pool. So, we asked if there were any affiliate hotels in the area that could accomodate our family that had a pool. Pete suggested that we catch a shuttle to another hotel each time we wanted to swim and then return to the Westin once we were done. I thought so you want us to catch a shuttle with our 2 yr old son to another hotel, swim, dry off as best walk outside in CHICAGO Freezing/BREEZY wind and then be transferred back to another hotel WHAT!!!!

I told him that idea just wasnt going to work for us. I asked to speak to a manager, he said the manager wasnt in until the morning and that the manager wouldnt tell me anything differently than he'd already told me. We were so tired after driving almost 5hours we went up to the room and later came back down to the front desk and guess what, to our surprise here comes a supervisor, Richard, who asked if we needed assistance (I thought why was I told I would have to wait until the morning).

So, Richard the supervisor went through calling other hotels to see if they could accomodate us while Pete stood there twiddling his thumb doing nothing (there were no customers/guest at the front desk - Pete was just standing there). Richard even asked if Pete could let him know the city of other Westins and he said oh I dont know, so Richard had to tell Pete to get on the internet and look it up (DUH!). Pete is just not fit to troubleshoot/work with the public at least he wasnt that night.

To make a long story short Richard the supervisor end up getting us in at the Westin Yorktown at a rate of $50 higher per night, but at least the staff their were professional, and they had a working pool. If you plan to visit the Westin Northwest Chicago make sure you call before you go to find out the details as the website also says this hotel has a Kids Zone/Club which equates to a kids backpack with coloring books etc ( a little misleading)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Blessed007
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me yesterday regarding your recent experience. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed in a corner suite- very big by hotel standards (dinning, kitchen, living, bath, large king bed in bedroom). 2 large flat screens.

Very clean, quiet and an overall pleasant experience. Stayed here for a wedding and would consider staying just to get away for a weekend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bryanuww
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Our suites are a great option for more room, we would be happy to welcome you back for a weekend getaway. Be sure to check the website for availability for a suite and please let us know if we can help with your plans. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I am a Platinum SPG member and while the hotel is not horrible, some of their policies are. As a frequent Starwood guest, it is very evident that this is a franchised property and not actually managed by Starwood. What really irked me was the $10 facility charge that they try to sneak in. While I agree that the rate i paid was downright cheap, I feel like the hotel management tried to "steal" an extra $10 from me. Would have still booked this hotel if the quoted rate was $10 higher upfront? YES. I just do not like it when they try to be sneaky with a "facilities charge". Is management that desperate to garner bookings that they must rely on underhanded and sneaky practices for additional revenue - it seems so. When i asked at the desk, 2 clerks told me it was for parking (this is a large suburban hotel with a sprawling parking lot - no one ever pays for parking here) Health Club access (A platinum benefit, even though suburban hotels rarely, if ever have a fee for the gym), Water (again an included platinum benefit), and free local calls (with cell phones who ever uses the hotel phone anymore except for in house calls??). Both clerks agreed with me that this is a bad policy that only angers quests because they are made to feel nickel and dimed. They removed the charge from my bill and said they do this quite often for upset quests. PLEASE charge a fair rate, I will pay it, Please do not be underhanded and sneaky. The Westin Chicago Northwest is not a resort or a Vegas property - the facilities charge is a sham and a joke.

In addition the breakfast buffet in Shulas is downright horrible. Powdered eggs and stale muffins. PLEASE do better!!!

Room Tip: Atrium Hotel, so can be noisy. Suites are tucked in the corners and are very quite.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank addendum
patty_connolly, General Manager at The Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Thank you for staying with us recently – we appreciate your business both here and with Starwood. And, we appreciate your feedback. Please know that your comments will be taken into consideration moving forward.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

This Westin was quiet, clean, spacious, and equipped with all standard amenities (plus extras). It was a bit out of the way from downtown Chicago, but the grounds and views are beautiful. The meeting rooms (if you are planning a business meeting) are also very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if I were looking for something a bit outside of the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us – and found the meeting space to be comfortable. We do host many business and social meetings here and it is important that our guests find the space to be comfortable and productive. Keep us in mind for your next visit to the area – we hope to welcome you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)

Been to The Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!