“Reasonable Hotel Stay”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
New York City, New York
“Reasonable Hotel Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed here for one night on a quick trip to Chicago. The hotel was an excellent price considering it was Lollapalooza weekend and everything in the city was booked or expensive. The downtown Westin location was charging $529 a night!

We did rent a car from O'Hare and it only took about 15 minutes to get to the hotel. Just a few exits up on the Interstate from the hotel, there were a few, upscale restaurants where we ate before heading downtown to see a concert which took about an hour because of traffic.

The room was huge. The carpet looked gross and because it was a light celery color, the spots showed and it definitely could have used a cleaning. I didn't feel comfortable walking barefoot around the room. The bathroom was decent but can only fit one person at a time. Standard Westin, comfortable beds.

The elevators are disgustingly slow. Because there were several events going on here, people were going up and down floors continuously so expect to wait for a long time if something is going on here.

Because of the way the hotel interior is designed -- large open floors that overlook a beautiful atrium, I assumed there would be a lot of noise at night from kids running around (and because I did the same thing when I was a teenager and stayed at hotels like this!) but this wasn't a problem. There were several receptions and weddings going on throughout the day and evening during our stay. We had to catch a 6am flight so we left the hotel at 3:45am and there were still a few people hanging around in the lobby and outside! Luckily, I didn't hear anything at all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
patty_connolly, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to Chicago. Lollapalooza was a busy weekend here in the city and we are glad you were able to take advantage of our weekend rates! We are also glad you were able to get a good night’s sleep before your early flight.
Your comment regarding the carpet in your guest room is noted. We do regularly deep clean the carpet in all of our guest rooms. We do not want our guests to feel uncomfortable in our rooms. Our apologies for that experience. If you have a chance to contact us and let us know what room number you were in, we will be happy to double check and make sure that the room receives extra attention.
If you make the trip back for Lollapalooza in 2012, we’d love to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed one night enjoyed the quiet and comfort, until awakend at 4:20 am by fire alarm, It was a false alarm, it would have been nice to have an apology to the guests for the alarms going off, but none were offered, but other than that our overnight stay was comfortable, The pool and Hot tub area were nice and clean and the whole hotel was serene and well appointed. Would definitley stay again.

Room Tip: loved the dual showerheads in the bath.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
We were glad to have you stay with us recently. It’s nice to hear that you would stay with us again – we hope to have that opportunity! We did have a recent false alarm with the fire alarm. I know that is not a good experience to be awakened early in the morning to a fire alarm. While this sometimes happens, your comment about how it would have been nice to have received an apology is noted as something we could work on in a similar situation in the future. Thank you for that feedback.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Just stayed at the Westin for a quick trip to Chicago. All the rooms open on to the large atrium and the bar is on the ground floor in the middle. The noise echoes and can be heard in the rooms. I was on the 7th floor. Rooms are fine, staff was friendly. Easy to get to O'Hare.

Room Tip: higher is probably better for noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us recently. Our hotel does have an atrium lobby which makes for a dramatic and open feel to the hotel. We are always happy to note a request for a room on a higher floor if noise is a concern. If you have the opportunity to stay with us again, please let us know and will be happy to note your request. Thank you for your time in posting your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a wheelchair accessible room for the weekend.

Maybe my expectations are too high and my stay this weekend should rate 4 stars instead of 3 but I think that a room should be fully set up before a guest checks in. There were several minor issues. All that I reported were addressed satisfactorily but I felt like I spent a good deal of my weekend taking care of these items that should have been noticed and resolved by the staff before my arrival.

1. My room had a total of 2 towels; 1 bath towel and 1 bath mat. Two full sets of towels were immediately delivered to the room.

2. No in-room refrigerator key was given to us at check-in. Key was given to us by the front desk person, when I reported this.

3. Once I got the in-room refrigerator key, I noticed that the refrigerator was not plugged in and therefore not cold. I went to plug in the refrigerator but the only outlet that the cord could reach was behind the huge, too heavy for me to move armoire. I didn't feel like waiting for a maintenance person to come up and move the armoire, so I did not report it.

4. Now that I think about it, the refrigerator was empty, of course, which meant that we had no in-room snacks.

5. Found water on the bathroom floor between the sink and toilet. Could not determine how it got there until the following morning when I saw water dripping from the ceiling down through a light fixture onto the floor. Guess the room above us had a leak. Reported leak to front desk during check-out.

6. Saturday morning I noticed some cardboard trash next to the garbage can on the 4th floor elevator area. Trash was still there on Sunday morning. I would have expected some hotel employee to have removed this trash within that 24 hr. time period.

Those were the low points of my 2 night stay. High points were a very comfortable bed, good ergonomic desk chair, adequate number of TV channels and nice flat screen TV. If you like mirrors in your room, you would love the room we stayed in. The room had a huge mirror in the bathroom and 2 huge mirrors in the room, itself.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
patty_connolly, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. While we are glad that your requests were responded to in a satisfactory manner, we appreciate your feedback so that we can make improvements in our service.

First, regarding the refrigerator, we have had similar feedback from other guests as well - it's a mini-bar and does not cool to the temperature of a standard refrigerator. The units were locked and turned off to make sure that our guests do not store items in them that are temperature sensitive. Based on the feedback we have received, we have decided that we will have the key to the unit in the room for our guests with a note explaining the cooling capabilities of the unit. Hopefully, this will help make it less confusing. For those items that are temperature sensitive, we do have standard refrigerators available upon request.

Your additional comments will be reviewed and will give us additional areas to focus on in order to continue to improve to meet your expectations. We hope you will return on your next visit to the Chicago area.
Lowell, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I booked this through Pricline and the deal I received was incredible. The hotel was beautiful and the rooms amazing. Everything was clean, the room was decent in size. The one thing it was missing was access to the refrigerator, they had it locked. The snack shop was overpriced but that is what I expected from a 4 star hotel. Parking was free but they did charge for Internet, which in my opinion is a bad move on their part. My little ones used the pool and just loved it. They did have a wedding going on and we could hear it even though we were on the 13th floor. We always bring a little fan which provides white noise and we were able to muffle it.

All in all my stay was pleasant and if I was able to get a good deal, would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and are pleased to hear that you had a good experience and would stay with us again. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Thank you for your comment regarding the refrigerator. To clarify regarding the refrigerator, it's a mini-bar and does not cool to the temperature of a standard refrigerator. The units were locked and turned off to make sure that our guests do not store items in them that are temperature sensitive. Because of feedback from our guests regarding this, we have decided that we will have the key to the unit in the room for our guests with a note explaining the cooling capabilities of the unit. Hopefully, this will help make it less confusing. For those items that are temperature sensitive, we do have standard refrigerators available upon request.

Please keep us in mind for your next visit to the Chicago area.
Woodridge, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I got married at the Westin Chicago- Northwest on May 28, 2011. I have been to many weddings, seen many venues, and eaten a lot of different types of wedding food. I have to say, our experience with the Westin Chicago Northwest exceeded our expectations. Susan Johnson was our wedding coordinator there. She was EXTREMELY professional, knowledgeable, patient, helpful, kind; I could go on and on. She was always quick to get back to me with answers to any questions that I had and she always had such great information for me. I truly could not have planned this wedding without her and she was a huge reason we decided to have our wedding here. Our wedding took place in the tent, which truly took my breath away when we first saw it. The food is also one of the best parts of this venue. Everything from the appetizers to the cake was AMAZING. People are still talking to this day about how wonderful the food was and how everything came out hot. My brother even said that the steak medallions we had were the best he had EVER had. The entire staff that helped out was very kind and patient with everyone. They made this experience less stressful and overwhelming for me and my family that were involved with helping. Anything anyone needed, they were there to help and take care of. During the 10 months up until the wedding, Susan never left me in the dark with anything and kept me update with whatever we needed to get done month to month. The presentation that the Westin put on for us is still discussed by our friends and family today. Like most other Westins, the hotel accommodations were outstanding and people were shocked at how reasonable the rooms were. If you want to have the wedding of your dreams and create and fun, exciting and spectacular experience for your guests, have your wedding at the Westin Chicago-Northwest. And make sure you ask to work with Susan Johnson; she is the best of the best!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kpalazzola
Thank you for choosing our hotel to be a part of your special day! It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your wedding reception and we are so thrilled that it was a wonderful experience for you, your family and friends. Your comments and feedback will be shared with our management team, our staff and with Susan. Thank you!
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here on business and although the beds were very comfortable and the staff friendly they charge $9.99 a day for WIFI and the food is overpriced! Who charges for WIFI these days? The breakfast buffet was $17.00 and it lacked the pizazz of a breakfast worth that much money. The eggs were cold and the cold meats & cheese dried out. The only reason I had it was that $8.00 will only get you a cup of coffee and a bagel. $40.00 will get you a bowl of soup, salad and a glass of wine. YIKES! I will never stay there again! I would rather drive another 10 minutes to the office for some value for my money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
On behalf of my staff, we are sorry you were disappointed with our hotel and restaurant. Like most of the full-service hotels in the Chicago area, we charge for the services we offer such as internet service. With Shula’s Steakhouse as our on-site restaurant, the prices are in-line with others in the area.
However, your comments about the quality of the food are disappointing to us. We appreciate your feedback and your comments will be reviewed with our management team so we may find ways to make improvements. We truly hope you will consider a future stay the next time business bring you to the area so that we may provide you with the value and experience in Shula’s that you deserve.

Travelers are raving about these Itasca hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
The Westin O'Hare
The Westin O'Hare
#5 of 18 in Rosemont
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,123 reviews
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago

Been to Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!