“Very nice, well worth the price”

Westin Chicago Northwest
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Lowell, IN
“Very nice, well worth the price”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I booked this through Pricline and the deal I received was incredible. The hotel was beautiful and the rooms amazing. Everything was clean, the room was decent in size. The one thing it was missing was access to the refrigerator, they had it locked. The snack shop was overpriced but that is what I expected from a 4 star hotel. Parking was free but they did charge for Internet, which in my opinion is a bad move on their part. My little ones used the pool and just loved it. They did have a wedding going on and we could hear it even though we were on the 13th floor. We always bring a little fan which provides white noise and we were able to muffle it.

All in all my stay was pleasant and if I was able to get a good deal, would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
patty_connolly, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and are pleased to hear that you had a good experience and would stay with us again. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Thank you for your comment regarding the refrigerator. To clarify regarding the refrigerator, it's a mini-bar and does not cool to the temperature of a standard refrigerator. The units were locked and turned off to make sure that our guests do not store items in them that are temperature sensitive. Because of feedback from our guests regarding this, we have decided that we will have the key to the unit in the room for our guests with a note explaining the cooling capabilities of the unit. Hopefully, this will help make it less confusing. For those items that are temperature sensitive, we do have standard refrigerators available upon request.

Please keep us in mind for your next visit to the Chicago area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Woodridge, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I got married at the Westin Chicago- Northwest on May 28, 2011. I have been to many weddings, seen many venues, and eaten a lot of different types of wedding food. I have to say, our experience with the Westin Chicago Northwest exceeded our expectations. Susan Johnson was our wedding coordinator there. She was EXTREMELY professional, knowledgeable, patient, helpful, kind; I could go on and on. She was always quick to get back to me with answers to any questions that I had and she always had such great information for me. I truly could not have planned this wedding without her and she was a huge reason we decided to have our wedding here. Our wedding took place in the tent, which truly took my breath away when we first saw it. The food is also one of the best parts of this venue. Everything from the appetizers to the cake was AMAZING. People are still talking to this day about how wonderful the food was and how everything came out hot. My brother even said that the steak medallions we had were the best he had EVER had. The entire staff that helped out was very kind and patient with everyone. They made this experience less stressful and overwhelming for me and my family that were involved with helping. Anything anyone needed, they were there to help and take care of. During the 10 months up until the wedding, Susan never left me in the dark with anything and kept me update with whatever we needed to get done month to month. The presentation that the Westin put on for us is still discussed by our friends and family today. Like most other Westins, the hotel accommodations were outstanding and people were shocked at how reasonable the rooms were. If you want to have the wedding of your dreams and create and fun, exciting and spectacular experience for your guests, have your wedding at the Westin Chicago-Northwest. And make sure you ask to work with Susan Johnson; she is the best of the best!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kpalazzola
Thank you for choosing our hotel to be a part of your special day! It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your wedding reception and we are so thrilled that it was a wonderful experience for you, your family and friends. Your comments and feedback will be shared with our management team, our staff and with Susan. Thank you!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed here on business and although the beds were very comfortable and the staff friendly they charge $9.99 a day for WIFI and the food is overpriced! Who charges for WIFI these days? The breakfast buffet was $17.00 and it lacked the pizazz of a breakfast worth that much money. The eggs were cold and the cold meats & cheese dried out. The only reason I had it was that $8.00 will only get you a cup of coffee and a bagel. $40.00 will get you a bowl of soup, salad and a glass of wine. YIKES! I will never stay there again! I would rather drive another 10 minutes to the office for some value for my money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
patty_connolly, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
On behalf of my staff, we are sorry you were disappointed with our hotel and restaurant. Like most of the full-service hotels in the Chicago area, we charge for the services we offer such as internet service. With Shula’s Steakhouse as our on-site restaurant, the prices are in-line with others in the area.
However, your comments about the quality of the food are disappointing to us. We appreciate your feedback and your comments will be reviewed with our management team so we may find ways to make improvements. We truly hope you will consider a future stay the next time business bring you to the area so that we may provide you with the value and experience in Shula’s that you deserve.

Travelers are raving about these Itasca hotels

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Very welcoming, clean and updated rooms. Awesome stay!

• Stayed April 2011
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed one night. Comfy bed, no complaints on service. Beware if you are a light sleeper....it is an open atrium style lobby with hallways along the perimeters. Was on the fourth floor and the noise from the atrium bar (despite being on opposite side of hotel) carried right into my room. Thankfully, the TV had a sleep timer to fall asleep to! Surprisingly large room.

Room Tip: Would a higher floor be quieter?
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay. We are glad that you felt the bed was comfortable and that the service was good. We apologize that your sleep was disturbed but are glad that the sleep timer helped. Please let us know if you will be returning to our hotel in the future, we would like the opportunity to welcome you back and are always happy to note a request for a higher floor.
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I found the Westin NW hotel through internet search for a good price booking on the same day of travel.

After all activities in downtown Chicago over the July-4th weekend, I am tired and got on a 10:40 pm train at Union Station to Itasca. It was a 41-minute trip. I got off the train at Itasca station and completely get lost for where to go in the parking lot and could not see a taxi in my sight. Luckily, I saw a Westin shuttle van pulling up. I am so surprised.... because I called ahead of time, they told me the shuttle bus service stops usually at 9:30 pm. The driver told me that they extended the service hour because a couple special events going on at the hotel during the night.

The Westin Hotel is 2-mile away from the train station and in a nice and quiet neighborhood. It's right on a freeway exit and convenient for people driving. I see fewer or almost no street shops nearby within walking distance. I did not go out to explore the neighborhood because it's so late. The hotel looks good and wide open inside, but feel differently from other Westin hotels in big downtown area.The staff is friendly and helpful. I like my room which is large and nice.

I was so hungry after midnight check-in. I went downstairs looking for food, still some dancing activities going on. All restaurants closed. I checked with front desk, they told me the bar is still open because its service hour was extended to 1:00 am due to the special events. Walking into the bar, it was packed with people, some were really drunk. It's apparent there was a wedding party going on there. I saw bride still walking in and out the bar with flowers. While waiting for the service, some drunken young men and woman even approached me talking randomly, a little bit strange and intimidating. They even proposed to take picture with me. It turned out there is no food sold there except drinks and alcohols. You can only order food through room service for cold sandwiches. I guess I should not expect too much for such a late time.

I stayed for one night and took the shuttle bus back to Itasca train station on second day during normal shuttle service hour. It is very convenient and did not take long at all. The train is very much on time.

Room Tip: Book through online service
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
patty_connolly, General Manager at Westin Chicago Northwest, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thank you for spending part of your July 4th weekend with us! We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service from the Itasca Train Station. This is convenient after a long day.

We appreciate your comments regarding the helpfullness of our staff. This is always nice to hear as this is very important to us.

For our guests that check-in late, the menu is a limited menu after 11pm when Shula's and Shula's No Name Lounge nad the kitchen are closed. We hope that you found something to enjoy on that menu.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Please consider us for your next visit to our area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This property is a HUGE impersonal place. Service is professional , if slightly robotic and disinterested. Loong lines for check in remind you of wal mart. Most guests don't change that feeling either. Only 2 check in folks working during prime check in hours even with large groups checking in and the property being sold out. You don't see many business travelers here. They also do NOT HAVE A PHONE BY THE BED. Haven't seen this in many hotels. Asked service express, and they curtly said "that is how this hotel is" *click*. Mainly lots of church and pyramid sales convention type groups who walk around wearing convention group t-shirts and wheeling IMMENSE and overstuffed suitcases - I hear them checking in for two nights. Not the usual slick, plush operation you'd expect from the Westin brand. I stayed here for two nights but not by my own choice. As others have mentioned, the hallway conversations and airconditioner noise all lead to minimal use of the signature Westin heavenly bed. Since it appears that the hotel caters to many large groups like churches, schools, weddings, the aforementioned tupperware and jewelry/amway type groups (I asked the valet what all the groups were and the signage at the hotel also confirmed this), most guests don't still don't seem to demand a lot and appear to be impressed with just how big the hotel is and walk/amble around in swimming gear and workout clothes. My colleagues and I were amused at the hordes coming out of shula's marveling at how it was the best meal they had ever had. In a city like Chicago where one can get absolutely superlative steaks, this is pretty funny. The hotel is still serviceable so if you are a slave to SPG points and have to be in the area, it is an ok choice, but there are definitely hordes of better options if not.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
The Westin O'Hare
The Westin O'Hare
#5 of 18 in Rosemont

Been to Westin Chicago Northwest? Share your experiences!