“Building grandchildren's memories”

Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
GreenLeadersBronze level
chicago
“Building grandchildren's memories”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

SENT TO HOTEL MANAGER - HOLIDAY INN ITASCA

I am attaching a copy of some notes my 6 year-old-granddaughter wrote while staying at your location. I promised her that I would give it to the owner of the hotel and forgot to turn it in when I checked out.

My annual Christmas gift to my daughter, son-in-law, grandchildren (ages 6 to 14 months), for the past 4 years, has been a mini-vacation staying at a hotel, doing fun things, and swimming in hotel pool. The first 2 years, I tried other locations/hotel chains - last year I found Itasca. The pool temperature and water temperature was ideal for my small ones who turn blue in cooler water.

So, this year, the entire family was very excited to go back to Itasca and, as you can see by the attached, Natalie "took charge" of our activities.

Reservation was December 25 to December 28. Although close to home (I live in Chicago, my kids in Villa Park), the fun memories are just as good as if we were hundreds of miles away. And, we'll be back next year!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Eastern Iowa
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I booked this hotel becuase I actually thought it was a different one. The hotel is old and it shows. The room heat was very difficult to control and if you turned it off you could feel the cold air coming into the room. I ordered room service and the potatoe skins were overcooked and the ribeye steak was tough and fatty. The hotel was virtually empty but yet I didn't receive an upgrade even though I'm a platinum member. There's nothing much around the hotel either. There is another Holiday Inn north of this one by the Woodfield mall. That's the one I thought I was booking. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Itasca hotels

Dumont, NJ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed one evening at the Holiday Inn Itasca in September 2009. I had stayed at this hotel previously based on its proximity to family in Addison. In the past, I had booked through the Holiday Inn website, this time through Expedia in an air/car/hotel package.

The hotel is as clean and nicely maintained as last time. I was very pleased with my the cleanliness of the room and bathroom. I did not use the pool or gym on this trip. I would say that things are status quo from my last stay in August of 2008. I did try the restaurant on this trip and the food was very good and the prices were reasonable.

Two changes:

1) in the past, the hotel would setup a complimentary coffee/tea station in the lobby for guests. This very convenient feature is no longer offered. Somewhat disappointed since the only way to get a cup of coffee seemed to be to have breakfast in the restaurant. Not a great option when you are on the run.

2) the McDonalds that was located next door is no longer there. This made it very convenient in the morning to grab something and go or, for those traveling with children, to pick up a Happy Meal for the kids.

Other than these two minor points, the staff was very friendly and attentive and the hotel is a good value for the price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This hotel has a great view from the outside and is easily viewed from the expressway. But unless you are from the area, like myself, you may have difficulty finding it, which I overheard from other guests. This hotel is undergoing some construction, so in a few months, it should be at 100%. My issue with the hotel is that I mistakenly did not indicate I had 2 guests and this hotel charges $10 per guest. I did not like the way this was presented to me AND the fact that my Holiday Inn points do not count because I booked using Expedia. Had those incidents not occurred, I could give this hotel a higher score.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank natalya1299
fulushu, Manager at Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area), responded to this review, September 28, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your response and review.

We apologize for the handling and dissemination of information by our Front Desk agent.

The Internet booking site should have provded information on additional guest charges over and above the 2 persons per room at time of booking.

We will look into this issue and verify with this booking website so that this incident would not happen again.

We are happy to learn of your positive experience while at the hotel. We ensure that guest satisfaction is paramount in spite of the on-going renovation.

The improvement plan is what we hope to accomplish soon and provide our guests with a higher level of satisfaction and functionality.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are lookng forward to your next visit.

Manager
starchild101
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Here is the good, neutral, and bad on this holiday inn:

Good: Room was very clean, bed was comfey, a/c worked great. Bathroom was fine, shower had plenty of water pressure with hot water. Hotel had a nice game room with an old Gilligan's Island Pinball machine, sound didn't work, but had fun playing it. Surprised it had a nice lounge/pub with several plasma tv's, bartenders were pleasant and drinks were reasonably priced. Location of the hotel is within a 5 mile radius of numerous restaurants & pubs (note also see under neutral about location.)

Neutral: things that didn't bother me, but may bother you - bathroom mirror needed replacing (lots of flaking). Location - this place is sitting right on top of a highway, we had a room facing the highway. We kept the a/c on most of the time and the highway noise didn't really bother us, but in the morning we turned the air off, and the noise was very pronounced - if you are a light sleeper for sure get an inside room.

Bad - The front desk staff are about as smart as a box of rocks, (in fact a box of rocks may be smarter) and slower than a turtle in peanut butter. Took 20 minutes to check in, I could understand the wait if they were busy, but there were only 3 people waiting to check in and 2 people working the check in desk - there were no phone interuptions, nor other hotel guest interuptions during any of this time and basically the staff were clueless on any & every guest question pertaining to check in. The next morning had a simple question on my bill, the "new" receptionist was just as bad as the two from the previous day, not having a freaking clue. My response to my question was don't worry about it, it won't be charged to your card, with no coherent explanation what so ever. Now that's comforting! My conclusion is they send the Holiday Inn reject employees to work the front desk at this Holiday Inn.

final review: comfort - good, clean - good, bartenders - friendly, location - decent, front desk staff - HORRIDE. So if you can put up with an incompitent front desk staff and get a good deal, it's not a bad place to stay. But if you appreciate competency from a hotel's staff - they you may want to look elsewhere with numerous choices in the area.

• Liked — Clean, comfey room.
  • Disliked — Front desk staff was the worst!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank starchild101
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed May 28, 2008

(1) The front desk first wrote down the wrong room number (somebody was in the room when I tried to get into their room). Then, on my second trip, to the correct room, the key wouldn't work. Finally, on my third trip, I was able to get into my room.

(2) When I requested coffee only at breakfast in the in-house restaurant, I got a strange look. I asked for milk for my coffee and was given a cartoon of milk. When I asked if I had to pay for this, the waiter took the cartoon away with explanation. I finally was able to receive my "free" cream. When I went to pay for my coffee, I discovered the reason for the bad service - the coffee was free and I guess the waiter was upset that I wasn't buying "tippable" food. Earlier, the restaurant tried to cheat my mother at breakfast.

(3) The maid woke me up at 8:30 a.m. for clean-up.

(4) The room was slighly run-down.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank joeyjewel
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I needed a room for one night while in Chicago on business. This hotel was close to my customers, so I gave it a try. What a mistake!

Despite being a Priority Club Platinum member, I was given probably the smallest room in the property. It desperately needed remodeling and overlooked the indoor Holidome. The elevator was ancient and small, so I chose to use the stairs.

This hotel isn't in the best neighborhood, and I wasn't comfortable leaving my vehicle unattended in the lot despite the presence of a security guard in the lobby (having onsite security tells you how bad the area is).

I didn't eat at the restaurant, but the only other option looked like a McDonalds next door.

During checkout, there was a problem with the computers at the front desk, so it took forever and didn't have a price on the printout. Check out the Holiday Inn Carol Stream location if you are staying in the area. It was much nicer than this one in Itasca.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BlastChamber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Hilton Garden Inn Addison

Been to Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)? Share your experiences!