“Will go back but am not in a rush”

Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2006

I found a really great rate of about $60 for the Eaglewood so my husband and I decided to go for it. It was a very cold January day. When we pulled up to the resort the bell man took a look outside and decided not to offer to assist us. The check in was relatively simple. I was not charged a resort fee. I was supposed to pay for incidentals on top of the room charge and though I didn't have the extra cash on me, I was checked in anyway for just the room fee and tax. The lobby was gorgeous but the bar was closed. Burnham's restaurant was closed. My husband and I walked around to our room which was in the nearest building to the lobby. The buildings have a charming octagonal shape but they made me feel a bit claustrophobic. I was quite disappointed with the room. The furnishings were pretty but the rooms are smallish. The balcony was nice but it was rainy and cold. The ice bucket was dirty and had no plastic liner. There was a warm bottle of expensive Hawaiian water that we didn't bother to enjoy--oh yeah and two champagne glasses to enjoy it in. It was a standard room with a vanity with the premium toiletries, a closet with the luggage rack, a bed, an ottoman, an armoire, and a bureau. The Cd player was attached to a small clock radio. I expected bathrobes because of something I read at the website. When I called the other restaurant that I never located on site the person who answered the phone acted like he never heard of the buffet they advertised on their website. It was too cold to walk over to the bowling alley and pool so we didn't bother going over to see it until the next day after we checked out. The pool is large but the bowling alley and game room is small. There is a small shop also with not too much to offer. The walls by the elevator were dirty and without the frills and amenities I expected out of a spa resort I could not help but estimating that the Eaglewood is going downhill fast. I am considering a return visit with the kids for the pizza/bowling package. Oh the room service is reasonable but we didn't try it. We crossed over into Addison and ate at one of the restaurants for dinner and breakfast since Burnham's was closed.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank LorettaDN

Reviewed February 19, 2006

We stayed one night with the Stay and Play package on an extremely cold February weekend.

Our room was beautiful and spacious. The kids LOVED the bowling, large pool, and choosing a Pay-per-View movie. The package seems like a decent deal with the bowling, pizza, soda, cocktails, and movie included. The resort was near full, but we "put our name in" and just waited a half hour to bowl. The pool could have been "a hair" warmer, but it was okay. The locker facilities are nice, which is good, because you unfortunately have to go outside to go back to your room. (The recreation center and spa are in a separate building.)

If you have kids under 12, you might want to check upon arrival if there are kids activities scheduled at the recreation center. Overall, the Eaglewood had a fun family atmosphere that outweighed any negatives.

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank Tracey G
Milpitas,CA
Reviewed September 6, 2005

The staff was rude. The food was mediocre. The fascilities (bowling alley, pool, restaurant) closed early. I will never go back.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gary Indiana
Reviewed July 26, 2005

We checked in for our family reunion. We went to the Spa and the Pool. We had fun at the Boling allie and really liked the food. We were here to honor our grand parents and they were in a large room. We were there with other famil reunions and it made it a fun weekend. We got to use the computers for free in the business place. There was free food out one day but not the next. We like the swimming area because you can sit outside. They have a diverse staff which made our family real comfertable. All in All it was reall nice. We will come back next year for the next reunion.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chicago, illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2005

I stayed there for four days and three nights on a business trip. The first night they moved me to a different hotel because they were oversold. The good thing is that they paid for my hotel room, but the move was such a pain. We had meetings scheduled all day at the hotel and everyone from my group was there and I had to travel back and forth between the two hotels and spend extra money on the transportation. The front desk staff was all new and they had no idea what they were doing. When we had a dinner at the restaurant downstairs we had to wait 20 minutes for someone to ask us if we wanted something to drink and 45 minutes for the meal. When we complaied about how poor the service is, they promised us a free bottle of wine, which we never received! Some of our meetings were located in different rooms and we had to move from session to session to a diffferent room. The following day we went to the fitness center to work out, which was located in a separate building and quite a walk. The fintess center did not have any towels and no water to drink. There was no staff to help us.
So many of us were dissppointed and told our meeting planner and vp, that we would never like to comeback. Overall, the property looks ok and the rooms are nice but small. I was very dissapointed about the service and would not come back.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

Have stayed here previously when it was the Doral Eaglewood, and fortunately, they are still honoring the Doral Club card which I purchased back in April. It gives us one free Saturday night for the year and two Friday or Sunday night stays with the purchase of a Saturday night stay AND provides a Jr. Suite upgrade for only $30. It also gives us various dining, spa & activity discounts. This was the second year I've purchased the card and it's been a great value for us living so close to the resort (alas, they told me this would be the last year it's offered because of the new ownership.) Anyway, back to my review. We booked this "kids" package for Saturday night at $129 - it included a manicure for my daughter, $5 for the arcade, and hour of bowling incl. shoes for 6 people, a s'mores dessert in the restaurant, and cookies and milk room service at bedtime. I used a free voucher for Friday night and paid the $30 for the Jr. Suite upgrade. I ran into a little glitch here in that the $30 upgrade fee is only good for the free night - to change our kids package to a Jr. Suite would cost almost double the rate for a reg. room - $259, however, I spoke with the reservations mgr. and asked if she could do any better and she came down to $199. Seemed pretty fair to me, and even more so after I realized the value of the package amenities. The Jr. Suites here are just lovely, very nice color scheme with rich green and burgundy tones. It is one large room with two sections - a very spacious living area with 2 club chairs and a really comfortable high back sofabed. Then there is a centrally located armoire with drawers and the TV. In the other section is a king size bed, a padded bench at the end of the bed, as well as a very large desk with office chair and another club chair. The room is incredibly spacious, and there is also a balcony overlooking the golf course with a table and chairs. The bathrooms are pretty typical for a hotel, one area with a nice large vanity and another with the toilet and bathtub/shower combo. Nice Gilchrest & Soames products for the bath in large bottles! If you can get a deal on one of these suites, I highly recommend them. That's all I've ever stayed in at the Eaglewood, so I can't comment on the reg. rooms. We stayed in the tower furthest away from the lobby, which is a bit of a hike. Elevators are also really slow. Those were really my only complaints along with poor water pressure in the shower. Everything else we experienced during our stay was awesome. Started out on Friday with my daughter's manicure, which included the gratuity. I indulged in a spa pedicure at the same time and I was just pampered. I've never had so many different soothing treatments for my feet! We had dinner at the bar/grill type restaurant downstairs on Friday - we just had sandwiches which were fine; we got our s'mores dessert which was great. They bring a small "grill" with sterno, 4 chocolate bars graham crackers and marshmallows on a tray with fondue forks and you make your own. There was more than enough for the 4 of us. We then enjoyed the pool for a few hours where they showed "dive-in" movies. Keep in mind that the pool, spa & fitness center are in a separate facility from the hotel - some people might find this to be inconvenient, but during the summer, it's not really a problem as far as I'm concerned. The pool is open until Midnight on the weekend which is great. The 6 lane bowling alley is also housed in the facility along with a small cocktail lounge. We checked this out on Saturday for our hour of bowling which was a lot of fun - it was not crowded at all. We bought a few sodas at the bar which were $2 each but included free refills. Enjoyed the pool some more before dinner. I generally find room service prices to be outrageous, but here they were the same prices as in the restaurant, and pretty much the same menu. So, we went out and got McDonald's for our kids, then ordered room service for ourselves. We got a potato skins appetizer and the Sat. night BBQ ribs special to share, along with the cookies and milk that came with our package. A half hour later, the food arrived in an insulated picnic basket. Our total cost was less than $30. The food was great and portions were enormous - there was more than a full slab of ribs, plenty to share and we couldn't even finish the appetizer. They brought 2 large glasses of milk for the kids and 8 giant homemade cookies (consistent with others who have reported back on this package!) I was really impressed with the room service experience overall. And for us so much more preferable than trying to dine out with our young children. By the way, the desk in the room was plenty big to substitute for a dining table.

What more can I say? This place was just great for a weekend getaway and the package inclusions were well worth the cost. The rooms are really nice and the location kind of tucked away and secluded in a pleasant residential neighborhood (some might say it resembles a country club more than a resort but we were pleased regardless.) The staff was pleasant and accomodating, especially those that were running the numerous free kids activities they offer on summer weekends - my kids made kites and participated in sack races. Of course, I wholeheartedly endorse the kids package we booked, which is usually only $30 more than the room price alone (but I would recommend booking an extra night independent of the package so that you have plenty of time to enjoy the inclusions.) Our stay was incredible and plan to return before the summer is over (maybe without the kids next time!) Sorry for the lengthy review but I really wanted to elaborate on this great facility!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank lindabobhat
Somerset, England
Reviewed June 19, 2005

I'd never heard of Eaglewood resort before and was somewhat hesitant to book a reservation (the prices were very low and I was afraid it might be one of those "you get what you pay for" places). My family just returned and I am happy to report my fears were completely unfounded!

We bought the "Are We There Yet?" package. For only $129 per night, we got an hour of free bowling at the resort's own bowling alley -- it's not a large bowling alley but it more than suited our needs, a manicure at the spa for our girls (very nice spa, by the way), $5 toward video games, milk and cookies delivered to our room for a bedtime snack (large glasses of milk and a plate of eight very big, delicious cookies). The next night, we enjoyed s'mores (again, part of the package) before bedtime. The kids also enjoyed "dive in" movies at the pool. They watched Jumanji while they splashed around -- it was great! You also get 20% off any toy in the gift shop when you purchase the package.

Other good things to know: the resort is located in an out-of-the-way subdivision so it's not visible from any highways but it's very easy to find. You can park your car and never have to get in it again until it's time to leave. If you want to leave the resort, the extremely friendly concierge offers a free shuttle to just about anywhere you'd need to go in the area (we took the shuttle to the metra so we could spend the day in Chicago).

The only drawbacks we saw were that the rooms were fairly small and our bathroom didn't smell very good. It wasn't horrible but... we definitely noticed it.

We were extremely pleased with our stay and we *will* be returning!

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
The Peninsula Chicago
#2 of 192 in Chicago
Near North Side
Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago

Been to Eaglewood Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!