“Sleepless at the Eaglewood”

Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I arrived at the Eaglewood Resort on a Sunday for a conference that started on Monday, and the place was deserted, with the lobby bar and restaurant closed. My room, spacious in size and sparsely furnished, had a balcony overlooking the parking lot. As I settled in to bed, I realized the parking lot lights were shining brightly through two triangular uncurtained windows over the sliding glass doors. And with the interior lights off, the room was extremely light. Add to that the uncomfortable mattress and the fact the room was so hot (this was December, mind you), that I only managed to catch a few hours of sleep with a towel over my eyes and the heat completely powered off.

When I complained the next morning, the front desk staff offered to move me, but I had already unpacked, plus the conference was starting.

I found the service ranged from helpful to untrained to downright indifferent. The architecture of the wing with the guest rooms is bizarre, and you will indeed walk quite a ways to get to anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel, not the front, which overlooks the brightly lit parking...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CoolAZMom
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Eaglewood with us, only through the efforts of guests like you are we able to identify our areas in need of improvement. I am disappointed to learn of the problems you had with your guest room. Your experience is not typical of what we are accustomed to providing our guests, rest assured the comments will be addressed with the respective team members.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Golf course has been going down hill for years now. This season I played there in the spring, summer and fall. All 3 times the course was in poor condition. The putting greens were spray painted green to cover the dead, diseased areas. Several greens were roped off and a hole was cut in the fairway. Hotel is old. You can see the paint peeling off. Overpriced, over rated.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bman414
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

My apologies your golf experience was not what you expected. This year was a challenging one for our golf course. We acknowledge the course was not up to our previous high standards and have invested in the resources needed to bring it back. Rest assured next year we will be back. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to address your concerns. Best regards.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I loved this place, great vibe, nice people to deal with, beautiful property....but.... it's SO long and winding throughout the property. If you're going by yourself, this would be a great location. If you're going for golf, again - great location. Weddings? We saw four of them in three days there and they all seemed very happy. Going there with a sports team? Not so much. To say this property is sprawling is an understatement. We got lost, couldn't find kids, etc. But this is a complaint for groups only. Otherwise a beautiful property. Would also recommend bringing your own drinks - the bar is REALLY expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Eaglewood, rest assured I will share your sentiments with our team. We appreciate you choosing us for your getaway and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Best regards.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had a great time at this hotel. The rooms were large, clean, and well decorated. The amplitheater worked great for our presentation. At night, we bowled and swam, what a wonderful place. The service was excellent. In particular, there was this one guy named Brian Mulhall who was very helpful and showed exceptional hopsitality. I can't wait to go back there again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

We are thrilled your stay exceeded all expectations. The feedback you provided will be shared with Brian and everyone at Eaglewood. We hope to have the pleasure to be of service in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have never been to Itasca, and I don't even have business here, but I was unable to find a decent hotel room any closer to OHare. The "Resort & Spa" in the property name made it a no-brainer -- I mean if I'm going to be inconvenienced, I may as well be comfortable!

The room was quite large and comfortable, and there was a large flat screen TV with HBO (although no channel guide). Happily, I found a bathrobe in the closet (always a plus!), and there was a coffeemaker in the bathroom if I don't feel like going downstairs for a cup (free in the morning),

Being it is November, I couldn't take advantage of the balcony outside my room -- also a plus. Unfortunately, it overlooks the parking lot, so I didn't have to give up much a view. There is a golf course on site, but I got here too late in the day to see it firsthand (although i do not golf, I may have been able to use it for my daily run, as I have on other properties).

The restaurant, located downstairs, was nice and covenient, and the room service menu was reflective of the in-restaurant menu, prices and all (of course, they add an 18% + $2 service/delivery fee, but at least they didn't jack up the price of the food itself.

My only complaint was the confusing layout of the rooms -- trying to find my room and identifying which tower it was in, not to mention the fact that the Lobby is on the 4th floor (not explained at the front desk). Also the fact that the spa itself is in a building separate from the hotel, so it necessitates going outside (not always pleasant in inclement weather). Also spa prices were rather high given its suburban (not urban) location.

The room rate was reasonable (about $150), although you have to add the $60 taxi fare from OHare when taking everything into account. Breakfast is included, although I left too early the next day to take advantage of it. I would definitely stay here again, and hope that it would be in warmer weather during daylight hours!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank beentheredonethat56
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We always value feedback provided by our guests and appreciate the extra time you have taken to provide this information. I have shared this message with everyone at Eaglewood and we are pleased to read your stay was an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Gorgeous room, wonderful staff. One of the best part of the room is the size, our 2 year old had plenty of space to stretch out legs and run around it a bit. And the balconies allowed in some fresh air so it wasn't like staying at a standard big box hotel. Also it's not often that you come across a hotel with a bowling alley on property. Kids had a great time bowling and the bartenders Bobby and Erick took great care of the adults.
It was a fun safe weekend with a lot of friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your very positive experience at Eaglewood Resort and Spa with us. It is rewarding to see the investment made in training paying dividends; rest assured I will share your comments with Bobby and Erick and the Team. Thank you again and we hope to be of service again.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Eaglewood Resort is by far the best place to get married at (or even just to stay for a night on the town)! Not only do they have such an amazing hotel/resort, but they have the most unbelievable employees, specifically their wedding planners. Maureen, our Eaglewood Wedding Planner, was a huge part in making the wedding of our dreams and by far the best wedding planner EVER!! I had sooo many people come up to me, my parents and my Husband's parents and tell us that our wedding was the best wedding they have EVER been too, ever!! From the magical ceremony in the Pavillion to the stunning reception room, the FOOD, the service, everything was just wonderful!!! Maureen was right there with me through the entire process, if I needed anything at all, even advise, she was right there always, with a quick response time and answers to my questions. She made planning our wedding alot less stressful, that is for sure!!! So many people told us that they never knew how stunning and beautiful Eaglewood actually was!! I am so so grateful for being able to work with such an amazing planner and such an amazing venue!! The hotel rooms are modern and impressive and the golfside view was awesome, all our guests raved about the stay and how accommodating Eaglewood was! We had our rehearsal dinner in the Kegler's Bowling alley area of Eaglewood and it was a blast!! Many people appreciated the different, relaxing and fun rehearsal we had there and the best part was that we all just walked across the sidewalk to our rooms when it was over! We also had a brunch there the day after the wedding and had more than 30 people join us for the wonderful Buffet that they provide, again, right downstairs in the lobby!! We never left the grounds of Eaglewood after we arrived Friday and that is the one thing I will truly value about picking our venue, that Eaglewood has anything and everything you would need!!! Eaglewood had everything planned down to the very last minute of our wedding, and I cannot be more grateful!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments, rest assured I will share them with Maureen and the rest of the team. We appreciate the opportunity you gave us to be of service on this special occasion. Best wishes to you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Comfort Suites Lombard
Comfort Suites Lombard
#7 of 10 in Lombard
Champagne Lodge and Luxury Suites

Been to Eaglewood Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!