“Chicago thin crust pizza”
Review of Aurelio's Pizza

Aurelio's Pizza
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Homewood
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you visit the Chicago area and don't make a trip to Homewood to check out the pizza at Aurelio's, then you haven't experienced one of the great pizza places in the area. Of course, everybody thinks Chicago is famous for its deep dish pizza (and it is), but you have to try the thin crust pizza! And one of the best places to do that is at Aurelio's. Don't be thrown of by the square cut pieces, that's just how it is done in most of the Midwest. Just enjoy the sweet sauce, the fennel sausage, and the smiles on all the faces of happy pizza eaters!

1  Thank scbob

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I ate at Aurelio's; I ordered the stuffed crust pizza while they ordered a thin crust pizza. Every time I eat at Aurelio's I order the stuffed crust pizza because I can't find another pizza place where I live that makes them like this!

I was introduced to Aurelio's as a teenager and ate there frequently when I lived in the area. Since I moved, nearly every time I return for a visit I eat there. One thing I like about this location is that it has a unique layout--not like any other restaurant I have been to. I especially like seeing the hundreds (if not thousands) of baby photos lining the walls as you enter.

I will definitely be back again next time I am in town!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Been going to this pizza restaurant for 40 years.. Best pizza on the south side of Chicagoland. Ask them to bake your pizza in the old original oven.. There is a difference.

1  Thank Eile15
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I grew up in Homewood and moved to Albuquerque, NM for school 2 years ago. If I've learned one thing from those 2 years of being in ABQ, it's that I took Aurelio's for granted. I did not live far from Aurelio's and every time I eat there pizza it reminds me of my childhood. The sauce, toppings, and crust are all unique, and although when I describe Aurelio's to my friends who have never had it I describe it as "Chicago-style thin crust", Aurelio's is truly in a class of its own. My personal favorite pizza to get here is half-cheese, half sausage and onion. When I was in high school a friend of mine always said to ask for it in "the original oven," since apparently it tastes better that way, but I can't tell the difference. I never visit home anymore without getting an Aurelio's pizza. It is somewhat pricey, but not unreasonable. You are truly getting what you pay for. I suggest the Homewood location, since that is the original, and whether you dine in or eat at home, it should be delicious. Do yourself a favor, and next time you're going to buy a pie from Pizza Hut or Papa John's, dig through the couch cushions for extra change so you can get yourself a real pie from Aurelio's.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

It's been a few years since we've been to Aurelios in Homewood but it still is a special place. Sort of like travelling back in time...not quite to the founding days of 1959, but more like back to the family-friendly days of a few decades ago.

We had a family celebration there recently and reserved what was once the outdoor patio area for our party. The staff did an excellent job of setting up a buffet for us that included two different salads--including my favorite with the olives and meat and cheeses--our beverages, and a selestion of pizzas chose by us. I am a Super Six fan and that pizza never disappoints, but the pepperoni pizza, the sausage pizza, and the green olive pizza are also great. When you get right down to it, the sauce at Aurelios is what makes it. It is so sweet and pure and rich....it sets the tone for the greatest thin crust pizza I've ever had.

It was also fun to look at all the pictures of the babies on the walls with their Aurelios baby t-shirts on and we actually found our kids photos from 20+ years ago and had them pose nect to the pictures. A very nice and memorable trip and pizza that still can't be beat.