“Unusual” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cottage on Dixie

The Cottage on Dixie
Ranked #4 of 54 Restaurants in Homewood
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Unusual”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

It was our first time at The Cottage, and we had a couple of questions. The staff was pleasant, however, all questions had to be answered by the chef. First, the menu offers a gluten free option which was one reason we went there. When the bread was served we asked if there was GF bread. Staff went and asked. No. OK. We notice one dinner which average $25 has a wheat/spelt. We asked how the GF option could be implemented. We were told there were no substitutions so they would just leave the spelt off...one third of the dinner would be missing. OK.
We ordered an appetizer then were told the whole meal had to be ordered at once, as that is how the chef like it. So we could not order the appetizer until we each knew what we wanted to have for dinner. The salmon was excellent,though the haddock was not memorable. The house wine, which was reasonable, was very good. The portions are gourmet sized which is good for most of us.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is lovely though we were one of 5 tables occupied the whole time we were there. I noticed as a previous reviewer mentioned that couples were seated at tables lined up against the window where tables for 2 are placed closely to each other. Since there were such few people there I wonder why these couples weren't given more room and privacy.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gerri C

“Great service great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Nicely priced very appealing healthy menu. Will be back . This place brings the downtown to you without the parking and long wait. SHANNON is a master at pleasing the most difficult customer my fiance . Thank you cottage team nice place to relax

• Visited May 2013
Port Charlotte, Florida
“South Suburban Treasure!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our family in Homewood told us about this great new restaurant that recently opened. So last weekend while visiting we made a reservation. What a warm and inviting place! We arrived early and enjoyed a cocktail and appetizer at the bar. Talked with the manager, Robert, who was very nice and told us about the buildings' transformation. The dinner menu featured Brazilian dishes, wine and beer specials. Local and green markets and farms supply most of the ingredients. We tried the scallops and lamb dishes. Great choice, everything was beautifully prepared. Next time we will try to save room for dessert. We noticed people taking photos of their desserts, they looked spectacular! Can't wait to visit again! Check out their website!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Was Looking Forward to this Restaurant but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were so looking forward to this new restaurant opening in Homewood, IL. We had high expectation from what we heard about the Cottage on Dixie was going to be. We went on a Thursday night to avoid the weekend crowds. We were 1 of only 6 tables in the restaurant
which suprised us since they just openend a couple of months ago. The hostess seated us next to a table of 4 in a small 2 seat table with my back a couple of inches away from the chair in back of me with no way for the wait staff to get thru. Why they crowded us all together like ants is beyond me since the resturant was empty. Menu had limited choices and should at least included another cut of steak and a pasta dish. The scallop dish I ordered only had 3 medium scallops on the plate and the dish was barely warm; and became cold within a few minutes; it should of been an appetizer not a main dish for the $28 price tag. My husband had
the lamb which was barely warm too.

I wish I could say better things about the food and the experience, but I think they need to rethink the menu and work on serving hot food and checking back to see if everything is okay. Tried it once but probably won't be back - too bad I really wanted to like this place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SceneITNOW
Frankfort, Illinois
“If It Is A New Restaurant…We Have To Give It A Try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Cottage On Dixie opened about six week ago; January 26, 2013. The owners have taken an old plain vacant restaurant building and transformed it into a very attractive and welcoming upscale dining establishment. Inside you find a warm comfortable room complete with exposed wood rafters and a waiting area with a burning fireplace. Lighting and other aesthetics compliment the interior.

My spouse and I along with another couple decided to dine there on Saturday Night. Not knowing how busy it would be we made reservations for 5:30 p.m. Upon arrival we were promptly greeted by pleasant front desk staff and taken to our table. Soon thereafter, although he apologized (why I do not know) for not being there sooner, our Server Zach was tableside. He was an extremely friendly person and you could tell he wanted to make our experience at The Cottage a great one. He very enthusiastically shared with us some of the history of the new restaurant including the staffs’ general training and education regarding the menu items. Upon request, he described his favorite menu items. In addition to our server there appeared to be many other staff present to assist. Water, bread and butter quickly found their way to our table and were replenished as needed. Interesting “amuses” (you have to visit to find out about these) were provided for our dining enjoyment.

The menu is very interesting. Although ample in variety, it is somewhat smaller than what you sometimes see. Emphasis is placed on fresh and organic whenever possible. For entrées my spouse and I both chose the seared duck while our “dinner mates” had the smoked scallops and lamb selections. Preparation and presentation of all three selections were very nice and all entrées were delicious. Everything was prepared to our wishes. I was pleased that sides were somewhat atypical and different from the potatoes, beans, and peas that you usually see. One of our side dishes was rutabaga and I was thrilled. I only can hope that brussel sprouts show up soon. Portions were sufficient however; our dining companion thought the lamb selection could have been slightly larger. My wife says that I am picky however; I would have liked everything to be a “touch” warmer; that is just me. We all finished the meal with crème brulee, coffee, tea, or a cappuccino.

Throughout the evening, our server and the ancillary wait staff returned to our table to check on everything, replenish items if needed, and quickly clear dishes when appropriate. All were quite efficient. We were never rushed or hurried and were allowed to have a leisurely dining experience from entrée selection to last cup of coffee.

It was a very enjoyable dining experience. It is nice to have an upscale restaurant near by and we hope that it will have a long and successful history in Homewood. I am confident that we will soon dine there again.

• Visited March 2013