“Left Wanting More”

Cuisines: Thai
Schaumburg
“Left Wanting More”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Recently, my wife and I were on a kick to try all the different Thai places near us and after having visited Thai Cuisine in Palatine, this was next on our list. Despite being set back in a strip mall and having hours that weren't exactly conducive for us initially, we made the time for a visit. While it wasn't a culinary treasure trove, Jaded Thai offered dishes competently made that avoid running the gambit of doing anything revolutionary.

Walking in out of the simmering summer heat, we noticed a sign stating that the A/C was out of service and to not mind the fans struggling to maintain a comfortable temperature inside. It was noticeably warm inside, but not unbearable enough to chase us away. Taking a seat, we waiting a few moments for our water to be brought as we perused over the menu.

Seeking to try some of the typical fare we'd sampled at other locales, we opted for the Crab Rangoon and Pad See Ew made to our individual specifications. The server was friendly enough taking our orders and bringing out refills at relatively routine intervals, but didn't really make an effort to share with us anything that might be a specialty to the restaurant or particularly worth trying -- hence defaulting to what we'd had tried previously.

When the Rangoons arrived, the first noticeable implication is that they're small. Almost undersized, as if their weightiness may have made the plate heavier than was necessary for gravity to withstand such mass. It was disappointing as we'd had significantly better and more sizable portions in the not too distant past. They were flavorful without standing out and served to, more or less, make me yearn albeit slightly for Thai Cuisine. Comparatively, when taking cost into account versus the size of the portion, it solidified the below average value of the appetizer in both me and my wife's minds.

The same sadly held true for the entrees. Both my wife's Seafood Pad See Ew and mine accoutered with chicken and shrimp left both of us wanting, disheartened by the size of the plates put on the table before us. The food was demonstratively average, with the most stand-out fault being that the shrimp tails were left attached in the cases of both our dishes. The taste was somewhat less profound that what we felt should be encompassed, but we still both finished the dishes with surprising expedience. Then we realized again how small the dishes our food was served upon.

Taking into account the cost out the door, we felt like we could've gotten significantly more at better quality for less if we'd gone to the place we tried prior. The bar had been set high to be sure, and while we weren't jaded, the eatery doesn't exactly demand a repeat visit when there's a better alternative a mere stone throw away. A resoundingly okay meal that definitely left two foodies wanting more -- quite more -- just elsewhere.

• Visited July 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Jaded Thai is tucked in a sleepy strip mall, and though I've lived near it for over three years I just recently tried it - I could kick myself for not going sooner! The food was outstanding, generous portions. Service was good, prompt, polite. There isn't a whole lot of seating so I don't think it's well suited to big groups, but it's great for date night and there are a couple of tables for four. They have carry out too. Anxious to go back!

• Visited August 2013
Illinois
“Fresh!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant set in a strip mall is a pleasant surprise! I've been here several times with family and as a couple and each time we experienced well prepared food, great fresh quality, all within a quaint, spa-like atmosphere. The delight is the extremely friendly staff!

• Visited March 2013
“Outstanding food!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food at Jaded Thai is amazing! I have had the privilege of eating here for multiple dinners and lunches. If you like things a bit spicy with curry try the panang curry. Fantastic!!! They offer brown rice for the more health conscious. Their shrimp shu Mai is outstanding. I prefer it steamed. Just ask and they will cater to you. There is no alcohol served at this restaurant so be advised.

Chicago, Illinois
“Thoroughly average Thai fare-”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I have carried out from here a few times and as a big fan of Thai food I found it to be quite average. The dishes were not executed with much care and the flavor profiles were muted. That being said- I you're really craving Thai food this place will probably work- but if you're looking for something really tasty and memorable then you will be decidedly underwhelmed.