“Convenient Stay”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Hoffman Estates
Nuremberg, Germany
“Convenient Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

Rooms were reasonable big and well equipped.
Friendly staff.
Breakfast quality at American average level.
Overall good price value relation

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Poor Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman. The staff is polite, engaged and willing to help, but they just can't overcome an obstinate owner who won't bring the rooms up to HGI standards.

This HGI is directly off I-90 at the Barrington exit and is probably of early 90s vintage. However, it's apparent that the property has never had a renovation since opening. Rooms will take you back 20 years, with hulking tube TVs, circus/candy stripe curtains and bedskirts, overwrought wallpaper and a white divet cover that is embarrassingly lumpy. Throw in some bright yellow brass door hardware and you have a total picture that just says "tired."

At least the hotel realizes how behind the curve it is and charges accordingly - you can get some corporate rates including breakfast as low as $60. That almost makes up for the motel-ish decor, and the service levels are definitely up to snuff. Unfortunately, the dated decor incents me to check out alternative accommodations when I next stay in the area. Too bad, really.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Matthew_HGIHoffman, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Dear DenverDave,

Greetings from the Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates! Thank you for trying us out and thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear your experience was less than perfect. Although we appreciate your positive comments regarding service delivery, we know that each guest has unique needs when travelling, and clearly we've missed the mark for you.

Please contact me personally. I love to share our upcoming product enhancement plans. More importantly, we would like to host your next visit to Northwest Chicago. Thanks again for the business and I hope this note finds you well.

Best regards,

Matthew Kramer
lawrenceville,ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

I am a Hilton Honors Gold and typically love the Garden Inn. This location is easy to find, clean and the facility bright and new looking. My bed was not as comfortable as most and the springs made BOING sounds when you sat on the bed. Both beds in the room were the same. Very odd to me. Otherwise, the hotel was perfectly acceptable. The breakfast is one of my favorite parts! The staff were all kind and helpful.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank motherjanegoose
Lake Geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

I stayed here last minute -VERY last minute, I didnt check in until 9pm. I got my room for only $50 as a last minute deal off Expedia.com - very much worth it.

The room was spotless and a very nice size, same with the bathroom. The bed was sort of like a Sleep Number bed in a way, a dial on each side of the bed to control the firmness. There was a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker with coffee too. The bathroom had Neutogena products in it. We never heard any other guests or kids or anything like that, we got a very nice night of sleep. We never had trouble using the Wifi.

I only have a couple of small complaints, but nothing that would keep me from coming back again.
On the bathroom wall above the shower by the ceiling there was a section of paint cracking really bad, probably because there was no vent in the bathroom. I found it very odd that there was no vent in the bathroom! Also, when I was reserving the room I requested a smoking room, which wasnt promised since it was so last minute, not a big deal, but when I asked the guy at the front desk if I had a smoking room all he said was, "I will charge $150 to you room." He said it kind of rude, but the girl at the front desk and everyone else who worked there was very nice.

We didnt get to go swimming or use the whirlpool like we had hoped, but my fiance said the pool was actually pretty small.

I would recommend this place to anyone! One of the cleanest hotels Ive ever stayed in!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

One of the best hotels of the HGI chain. The new beds are firm foam beds that contour to the body and have very little bounce. Flat screen television and closet with microwave and fridge. Friendly front office staff and solid exercise and office facilities.

Excellent stand alone location off of I-90, though turning left out of the facility can be cumbersome during morning rush.

A very nice breakfast and happy hour. No real complaints about this stay. If you can take the 15 minute drive or so in the morning, it's a nice place to stay while doing business in Schaumburg. Quality, comfort, and breathing room.

• Liked — Location, Comfort, Quality
  • Disliked — Awkward access and exit
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

As a travel agent for over 20 years (owner for 10 years) I have seen my good share of hotel rooms. My husband and I decided to not do our vacation due to the hurricanes but I needed to get away, so we booked on Thursday for a 3 nights stay in the Chicago area. At least we where out of Wisconsin and relaxing.

Well, I must admit that this resort was not their best. Actually I was very disappointed with the overall resort. The housekeeping on the 6th floor was not the best. I think all she did was make the bed and give us towels because there was a pen on the floor by the desk that did not move. I remember dropping it then thinking I will get it later. Well, it was still there.

Due to 90 degrees outside we went to a grocery store to buy bottle water. Then next morning I took it out to make coffee and take with us, it was warmer then the room. So when we left I advised the front desk to fit it. We came back our room was not made and refrig not taken care of. Again we asked, nothing. The next morning talked to the front desk again, came back, still warm. The whole 4 day/3 night stay we did not have a refrig that worked, after repeated requests. Then when I checked out I told that to them again. The comment I got was very rude, no sorry about that. Just a big smile on her face "have a great day", was all I got. No acknowledgment that there was a problem, almost like she was laughing at us.

The room was nice but the bed was a bit off. It made you roll towards the center or if you got to close to the side, it gave you the impression that you would fall off. And the shower had black mold growing on some of the grout lines. Another issue with the rooms is none of the waste bins had a liner. So if you have to throw away, let's say the creamers for the coffee, there is not a place to do so. Even in the bathroom there no liner. Not very sanitary!

Let me address this breakfast issue. There was several websites out there regarding this resort that stated their was a Continental Breakfast included. Ok, they did not but the $9 hit up for a breakfast buffet in the front was a bit much. You could tell that with this breakfast was a part of the rate at one time by the layout of the resort. This is not a place where you come to for breakfast, truly it is just for the guests, but to cough up $9 is just a bit much. If they wanted it so bad then just included it within the rate. It would be very hard for any one to not get caught up within this because it looks so much like what other hotels have for breakfast area. What I found interesting is that I asked what was on it, instead of listing anything I was told to walk over there to the other side of the wall. It is listed.

The pool and whirlpool yes where dirty and disgusting. And the show to go into the pool was missing the handle to turn it on. The walls of the pool where yellow. Not the best thing to see when you walk in.

The staff, yes there where not the most friendly. One of the rudest I have ever met. Actually started from check in and on. You just did not feel the warmth here. And to have an employee sitting in the lobby watching TV several nights, it just did not give a great impression.

I would not sat in this one when the Hyatt Place across the bridge is 10x better for the same money, and you get some kind of breakfast. It is worth the special price we paid however if I paid the rate of $99per night, I would be upset!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Silicon Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

This is a very pleasant business hotel. New, spotless facilities. Efficient, reasonably friendly staff. Not really "fun", but this is suburban hotel. No free breakfast (at least for me).

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Hilton Garden Inn Schaumburg
#1 of 29 in Schaumburg
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Chicago Hoffman Estates
La Quinta Inn Chicago Hoffman Estates

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates? Share your experiences!