“Complete chaos and noisy”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillside
Atlanta, Georgia
“Complete chaos and noisy”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I was put into a noisy room right on the busy road. This is a problem because I asked for a quiet room when I made the reservation and I asked for a quiet room when I checked in. The traffic noise was really bad. The air conditioner clicked loudly on and off and on and off. We seemed to be next to a group of people that got up at 6 am on a Saturday morning and there were non-stop slams for at least an hour up and down the hall. Why can't they design a door that does not bang shut so loudly?

I am a priority club member and tried to check in 45 minutes early but was told the rooms were not clean and to come back in 1/2 an hour. OK came back in 1/2 an hour and a room still could not be found for us. We waited in the lobby for another 1/2 hour with many other people trying to check in, not enough chairs for everyone, kids running wild, people having trouble getting the shuttle, people with mixed up reservations, popcorn being spilled and ground into the rug. After 1/2 an hour I went up to the front desk and the man said "oh I was waiting for you" which is an odd thing to say because I was sitting in the chair directly in front of him.

The man then said the ominous words "I'll go clean your room myself." Whether he was lying which is bad enough, or serious which is frightening. I could only imagine sheets not being changed and towels being folded up dirty. All through this ordeal I was pleasant and cheerful even tho inside I was really frustrated and upset.

The computer in their computer room will suddenly shut down after a few minutes to limit your use! Beware. Beware of this hotel and the complete chaos of checking and lost shuttles.

Room Tip: With all the other hotels just pick a different one!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Please let me apologize for the difficulties and inconvenience you and your family experienced.
We are deeply troubled that this issue has caused so much distress to you, our valued customer. At the Holiday Inn Express in Hillside, we are in constant pursuit of perfection and are already working on a solution that will prevent similar problems from occuring in the future. We are listening to you and if any good came out of this unfortunate experience, it is that we have grown and are taking steps to ensure that that this will never happened again. We invite you to come back and let us make it right. Please feel free to contact me by phone or email to discuss this further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Loxahatchee, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just off one of the very few toll free highways in town and only a 15 to 20 minute ride to downtown (weekend traffic). Very nice clean room with flat panel TV, fridge and microwave. My back had taken a beating in a Georgia hotel a couple of nights ago and was still a little sore and this hotel's bed came to the rescue. My soreness literally melted away within minutes of lying down on that wonderful bed! The pillows and comforter were equally nice. Daughters enjoyed the indoor pool and the fitness room helped burn off some of the calories after a very filling breakfast. Great breakfast with warm items which also included an automated pancake machine that the kids were lining up to watch. At just a little over a hundred when I stayed its well worth the price, even more so in the "windy city" considering Motel 8's and others comparable to it were going for 70 to 80 a night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glad to hear you and your family experience was a good one. I think everyone loves the automatic pancake marker, can't get no easier then that just press a button. We are always striving to ensure that you and all our guest feel at home. We at the Holiday Inn Express Ohare in Hillside, appreciate your support.
HOWE
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Whenever I visit Chicago, I go to this hotel. Rather than sleeping in the center for a lot of money and paying for parking. You are just minutes away from Chicago. Usually it is up to 110 for night and I always ask for a room at the hotel front (entrance side) as the other side is facing a road. This side is VERY QUIET even if you get the room between elevator and wending machines (Room 519).
Rooms are nice and bathroom clean and roomy.
Parking is at the hotel front and well lit / secure. Nice people at the front desk. Breakfast area is large enough to accommodate a lot of people. Two tv sets are set to quiet and CNN so it is not annoying to any viewer. Breakfast is a good HI Express breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the entrance side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Yes we are right off the 290 expressway and fifteen minutes for shopping and fine dining. Our hotel is one of the best kept secret. Thirty 30 minutes for downtown and you don't have to pay downtown pricing nor parking. We deliver great service and always looking for a way to improve.
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Like all my other stays I don't need a lot. I ask for clean and nice. Great stay, staff was awesome, clean, free breakfast. A Great stay. The entire staff was great but Jeff tried extra hard to make it a great stay and the other staff was right there with him. There is restaurants right there which was convenient. If you see Deon if he has a note or letter for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Carlos M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We are pleased that we met your expectations here at the Holiday Inn Express Hillside location. We are always striving to improve our standards and are committed to making sure every guest experience is a good one.
Turin, Italy
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I rented room 220 at a rate of $140/night, because I'd experienced a power outage at home and needed somewhere to comfortably, finish some projects. I was so disgusted by stains in the chair I opted to sit on the table to work instead. Upon further inspection dust bunnies were all over, on the light bulbs, shades, tables, coffee maker, elevators also dirty. Please introduce your cleaning staff to mops and dusters. I do not anticipate another stay at this or any Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Bring a mattress protector, cleaning wipes, and book at a discounted rate.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Dee A,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with your room. We will follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I use this hotel every year and always the service is great and as a Priority Club Platinum Member and a returning customer always get upgraded to a suite complimentary. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the breakfast is included and starts at 6am so gives me time to eat before flying. The Pool area is good to chill out in after a long drive and the rooms are very big.
Never really had an issue with noise although you can hear railroad at times. I will be back again next year.

Room Tip: I tend to have rooms facing the retail park, rather than Mannheim Road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
It's good to hear a job well done, thank you. We are always trying to make all of our guest feel welcome and at home. We know as a Platinum Member you travel alot and if you can't go home we want you to feel like you are at home. Looking forward to seeing you next year!
hillside
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel accomodation is good, free breakfast included in price, but, the proximity to a railroad makes impossible to have any rest. Every morning at 4 AM there was passing the train that woke me up always.

There are big roads and the 290 interstate near around as as well that contribute to this noisy ambience.

Furthermore, one of the days we were advised that the fire alarm will be launched at 11 AM.... and it was launched at 11 PM. I know this is not very usual, but it was Sunday, and next day I had to work.

So, not a good hotel for having rest. And that's all about in a hotel, isn't it?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Leslie O,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the outside noises had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillside
Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside
Hampton Inn Chicago/Westchester (Oak Brook)
The Carleton of Oak Park
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West? Share your experiences!