“Good base location while visiting Chicago!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillside
Arlington, TX
“Good base location while visiting Chicago!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while vacationing in Chicago! This is a good location not too far from downtown. I was worried about the noise as mentioned in other reviews and requested a "quiet" room. I was on the 5th floor on the train track side. It was quiet, only heard a train a few times and it was usually around 9-10am. Also, Al Capone is buried in the Mt Carmel Cemetery around the corner from this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room/room on 5th floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
UNIONTOWN, OH
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I booked this hotel because of the price, location and it is a newer hotel. I didn't realize that the hotel is also very close to the expressway and a train so bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

I arrived in Chicago early so I called to see if I could possibly check in early - I was told it would be no problem since the room was ready. I was suprised to find no towels other than a bathmat in my room. The floor in my room looked like it had not been swept after the last guest, I even found a VS Pink price ticket on my carpet. Housekeeping must not use a sweeper attachment because the carpet was also very dusty along the walls and aroud the safe. The vent in the bathroom was covered with dirt/dust. I found that a previous guest had spilled red soda or a liquid; it had apparently splashed on the wall and was never wiped off and the box spring & bedskirt were stained red from the soda. It appeard the wall mirror behind the door had not been cleaned as well as the desk top. I am not a clean-freak and never usually complain when staying at hotels, but this was just too much! It honestly looked like housekeeping had not finished cleaning the room. I spoke with the desk clerk who said that she would report it to her manager. I was there for 4 nights and when I checked out the same clerk was very suprised to hear that I had never been contacted by the manager. The desk staff was very friendly and courteous.

I received a ticket on my rental car in the hotel parking lot one morning for an expired registration so the police must patrol the lot at night.

I would recommend that management follow-up and possibly do random checks on housekeeping to prevent this issue in the future.

Room Tip: One end of the hotel is a nearby expressway and the other is the train. The hotel is also on a major...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
FENTON64,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Hillside.

Ben J
IHG Care
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I just returned after staying 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express and we were impressed with the hotel. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. I was hesitant after reading some reviews about the noise, but our room was on the second floor and it was very quiet. The room and bathroom had plenty of space and very clean! The room also had a fridge, microwave and a coffee maker. The breakfast area was clean and had a good selection of breakfast items, including pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy along with the sweet rolls, cereal, etc. The eating area was larger than most, so there was ample seating. We found this hotel a good value and has a very convenient location. We would definitly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Marys
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Me and My wife stayed here for two nights on Jan 18th, my parents were flying in from overseas into O'hare, and we drove up a couple of days early to enjoy Chicago. About the Hotel, its about 15-25 min drive from the Chicago O'hare international airport depending on traffic and which way you take, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the airport, which is very nice, it is further away from the airport compared to the other hotels, however the other amenities and nearby options make up for more than that. There is a Panda express, Qdoba, Jimmy Johns right outside the hotel, Hotel has a fantastic breakfast, cinnamon rolls oh yea they are good. There is ample amount of parking. The check inn was fast and painless, there are two elevators, our room was on the the third floor, we had a room with a king bed, room was well equipped, microwave and a refrigerator, coffee maker, among other standard items, bathroom was big and spacious, and everything was clean, we had king size bed, there were five pillows, which was awesome, because i alone use three pillows when sleeping. The best thing about the hotel was that my room was very, very quite, I have stayed in a lot of newer holiday inns & expresses, some are not very quite, I don't think they skimped on any materials, when building this place, I never heard a peep the whole days we were there, we slept in the first day, the housekeeping was out and about and we didn't hear them either. The internet was blazing fast, they do not have a cap on the individual user, unlike other hotels. a very pleasant stay for us.

Room Tip: Odd rooms are the ones which are towards the parking lot, even rooms are the ones next to Mannheim D...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, MI
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stay at this hotel to minimize the traffic compared with downtown locations. This hotel is very clean and the staff is friendly. The two bed suites (one big room) have a fridge and microwave. Breakfast area clean and with the expected selections. I stay with with the AAA rate and it is very reasonable compared with downtown locations. There is a Pizza place as a sit down restaurant choice right in the adjoining parking lot, as well as a fast food type of Mexican restaurant. Internet is reliable. I've not used the pool or work out room. I'll stay here again when I'm back for subsequent trips.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have stayed here several times over the last year. The staff is great, always willing to help. Rooms are comfortable, internet service is excellent.

The hotel is at Manheim and 290, so most of the Western Burbs and downtown are easily accessible from this hotel. It is one block south of 290, which puts you right at 294, also.

Decent local food, perhaps not as good as other areas, but enough places for some variety. Also some national chains available. Target across the parking lot, so supplies easy to get.

Room Tip: Be warned, there is a train track at the end of the property. Avoid that end of the hotel if you ar...
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel seemed brand new. It was very clean. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. There is a shuttle service that will take you to O'Hare or to the nearest "L" train station. It is conveniently located near a shopping center and restaurants. The beds were very comfortable.

I could hear a train in the distance every once in a while, but it didn't affect sleeping.

The only thing I didn't care for was the continental breakfast.

1 Thank M C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillside
The Carleton of Oak Park
Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside
Hampton Inn Chicago/Westchester (Oak Brook)
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West? Share your experiences!