“I like this place - I will be back!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillside
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I had to come to Chicago for a family funeral. When I found out where the family was staying I called the hotel and managed to get a room. I really loved this hotel, it was close to the Eisenhouser Expressway, close to shopping and restaurants. My room, which faced the road was really quiet and clean. I really enjoyed the free breakfast, which we needed before we held the funeral.

My only concern was the wireless signal was there, but pretty weak, which I let the night manager know when I was checking out. I hope to return to the Chicago area and will be staying at this location when I do come back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed here for one night in January - the hotel was immaculate and the staff at the front desk was great. Very clean & spacious rooms - however no fridge or microwave. The morning breakfast buffet was very good w/ a great selection. The only complaint would be that the "pantry" shop in the lobby didn't have much of anything, except bottled soft drinks and very few snack items. I was hoping to grab a beer or some wine to take up to my room after returning from a long day but that was not an option. The location is very good - right in the middle of a Target shopping center w/ several restaurants and stores and just a block from the Eisenhower Expressway so you can reach downtown Chicago in 20 minutes. Overall nice stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2010

This hotel is clearly newly constructed, and the rooms are in good physical shape. That's a strong point. Unfortunately, to get new construction they had to build very near Mannheim Road, a highly traveled route. If you're on the side close to the road, as I was, you will hear commuter traffic. Also, the A/C unit was relatively noisy.
The provided amenities were nice, including mouthwash. On the other hand, there were small problems. The front desk did not inform me about continental breakfast hours. Also, the first two pages of the information book were torn out. That means I had no idea about breakfast time and missed it. A better hotel would notice these things.
Chicago is a tough market. While this isn't a bad hotel, and it has free parking, there are better options around.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
SandLHospitality, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2010

Dear ramolnar,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Hillside, IL and for taking the time to leave a comment about your experience. I'm glad you found your room to your liking and enjoyed the personal amenities offered. We are having our maintenance team look into the AC unit. Thank you also for letting us know that the hospitality book in your room was missing pages. We have since replaced those pages. Please know that we value your business and your feedback, and we hope you will give us another try.
Sincerely, Erin Ruppenthal, Hotel Management

Reviewed November 7, 2010

This is an almost brand new hotel (it's not even on Google Streetview) right off the I-290 exit at Mannheim, so it's pretty convenient to the highway to get around.
The rooms are fairly large for a hotel of this level. Since its pretty new, all the items are in good shape. The bathrooms are bright and fairly big. I was on the fifth floor in a single king room. The staff was very friendly and the parking lot is very close and easy to navigate.
The hotel is in amongst a new shopping center that features a big SuperTarget.
I like Holiday Inn Expresses because of their decent free breakfasts, featuring the really great cinnamon rolls. This one didn't disappoint. The breakfast was good. They also featured something I had never seen....a self service pancake maker. You press a button and put your plate at the side and one minute later, two freshly made pancakes roll out of the machine. The breakfast room was larger than many HOliday Inn Expresses I've stayed at. The pool was a little smallish but the hot tub was nice. The workout room was small but it does have two brand new, very little used treadmills that were very easy to work and very comfortable to use.
The bed was soft and easy to sleep in. The desk and chair were comfortable to work on.
The room would really be better if it had a microwave/fridge. There's plenty of room for them but they don't have them. The closet does not have a door. So, your stuff just sits there without a way to really cover it up. There's an inroom safe, a nice touch, except mine was locked closed and I couldn't figure out how to open it.
The Internet was free and worked great. Really, really fast connection.
The bathroom was clean and new. The amenities were as good as they always are. (The spicy vanilla smell is my favorite hotel amenity fragrance of all of them). The showerhead was in a little unusual place. It was very, very high up on the wall (most likely to prevent people from hanging things off of it), but that made it a bit hard to move. I was on the fifth floor so the water pressure was a little on the light side. I expected a bit more because of the hotel's newness.
The only other drawback to this hotel is that there are very active train tracks immediately to the south of the hotel. Normally not a problem but several times during my stay, a very long and loud train went by. Which can be unsettling.
This hotel also has a unique weekend policy that all guests get and must sign. It does not allow large raucous parties, unlike other Holiday Inn Expresses I've stayed at. It keeps the noise levels down because if a guest complains, the partiers can be kicked out. I really appreciated that after having some terrible experiences with this in the past.
Overall, because of the location and its newness this is a great place to stay for the value, especially if you don't mind a very occasional train.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank markmywordz
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Loved my stay at this hotel. I was interviewing at Loyola's med school and this hotel was close, clean, and convenient. It was easy to get to the campus-not much traffic at all! The rooms were well-kept and comfortable. The best part of our stay was the excellent continental breakfast which was available from 6-9:30, lots of hot options available and supplies were replenished frequently. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TanaLea
SandLHospitality, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2010

Dear Tanalea,
Thank you so much for taking a few minutes to share your positive experience at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suties Chicago Airport West in Hillside, IL. We value our guests' feedback, and we appreciate that you have shared your positive experience and high ratings of our hotel and free continental breakfast with others. We hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely, Erin Ruppenthal, S&L Hospitality

Reviewed July 13, 2010

As another reviewer noted, this Holiday Inn Express is new and it shows. Wide hallways, nice decor, everything quite clean and well-kept. The pool area was out of towels but this was promptly attended to when I asked at the desk. The staff was helpful with dinner suggestions for me and other guests, and giving advice about tickets for local attractions.

The hotel is in a shopping center with stores like Staples and Target. A Giordano's pizza place is not far away.

Tall people take note: I think you'd love the shower--I could barely reach the curtain rod to hang our swimsuits, and the showerhead felt miles above me The room ceilings are high, too.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Stayed here before staying elsewhere for business during the week. The hotel is new and it shows. I stopped in before my stay because needed to store some luggage and pick them up when I checked in. The front desk was extremely accomodating in this request. There was a big party at the hotel and although the pool/whirlpool was noisy that evening, my room was very quiet and I had a great night's sleep. There was a lightbulb out in my room and I notified the front desk and it was fixed immediately. It's great to get free breakfast at a hotel and it had plenty to offer anyone. Plenty of eating choices nearby (Jimmy John's, Qdoba, Panda Express, pizza joint all within walking, others nearby by car), as well as general shopping needs (Super Target and Office Max in same parking area). LaGrange isn't too far if you're looking for something more town-like and I stopped here for WiFi and coffee the day following my stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillside
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#140 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West? Share your experiences!