“Food was good but service was subpar”

Froggy's French Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Froggy's French Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 57 Restaurants in Highwood
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Succulent French fare blending classic and modern styles. Specializing in seafood and wild game. Great selection of wines and attentive service.
Chicago, Illinois
“Food was good but service was subpar”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I are francophiles...traveling to France every year and trying all of the French restaurants in the Chicagoland area. I was excited to try Froggys. We decided to have a drink in the bar before dinner and the bartender gave me a white wine from Gascony when I asked for a White Burgundy telling me it was the same thing. I advised him it was a Sav Blanc grape not Chardonnay and he ignored me. My husband asked if they had any Bordeaux. He gave him a Bergerac....which was good, but I was surprised there was no Bordeaux Superior by the glass. Then to dinner...We found the dining room ecclectic. It was starting to get busy and our server quickly ran through the specials. I was told to ask about the game plate, which I did. The server said while walking away that it was on the menu. The menu states "to ask the server about the game plate". I had to flag the server down to get another glass of wine. He was not attentive and seemed bothered by any questions. I asked him which fish entree he recommended and he said "they are all good". A small salad comes with dinner which was a welcomed surprise. I had the Skatewing and my husband had the beef wellington. Both were very good. The beef wellington was "very" medium rare, but the sauce was so good my husband did not complain. We really liked the food, but felt like unwanted guests by our server.

• Visited May 2014

Las Vegas, Nevada
“French Fare with Whimsy”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Valet parking is inexpensive and prompt. The dining room is a delightful surprise full of charm and color. I attended a sold out wine dinner so every aspect of the evening was perfection. This is a white table cloth restaurant staffed by serious professionals. Service was impeccable. Each plate was beautifully prepared and arrived at perfect temperature, each a tiny masterpiece. The chef made it a point to greet each table after service. I could not be more impressed.

• Visited April 2014
Lake Forest, Illinois
“The best place for fine dining for miles in any direction. Truly European.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is an actual, real French restaurant. Superb food and the only option unless you want to go into Chicago. If you feel in need of a "virtual" trip to Paris, this is the place.

Cozy, romantic interior and cute outdoor seating in summer. Fine quality service. Quiet place but not dead. My favorite for any special occasion, or the trip to Europe I really need to take!

They also have a French bakery a block north on the same side of the street, with very nice breads and pasteries.

• Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Average at best...”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you like this restaurant's decor, then you'll love its food. The French bordello aesthetics were a complete turnoff for me and I found the food average at best. We only stayed because the weather outside was so atrocious. I ordered fish and the entire entree, including the fish and everything on the plate (potatoes and vegetables) seemed to be right out of a microwave, looking and tasting very tired. My friend had decent mussels, but the fries were just as tired and tasteless as my entree. The house salad was, in a word, dull. The service was neither attentive nor caring; the waiter mysteriously walked away as we were inquiring about some of the desserts. I won't return, but others around us seemed to enjoy the place, as they were cuddling up in their booths and discussing their upcoming catered affairs.

• Visited January 2014
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Excellent birthday dinner!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I went here for my birthday, on an extremely cold day! We chose to sit in the bar/cafe area with the fireplace, rather than the stuffy restaurant part. I am so glad we did!!! Not only is it a charming room, but the fireplace really helped keep us warm and cozy. I would NOT have liked it if we were in the main room, the "restaurant" area, too stuffy for my liking and "fancy". Had a great waiter, very attentive, spanish not french! He did help us make our selections with excellent suggestions. Would I go back? Yes, but only in the more casual cafe/bar area. This room has large french doors that in nice weather would be open. Location is weird, nothing nice to look at, busy street and train tracks.

• Visited December 2013