“Excellent BBQ!”

BBQ Pit
Ranked #30 of 106 Restaurants in Highland Park
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Highland Park, Illinois
“Excellent BBQ!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Eat in or carry out, Gus and his wonderful team provide outstanding BBQ - sauce is tangy and delicious. Great ribs chicken and big Greek salads are our favorites (been there numerous times). Nice selection of craft beers. Very comfortable family style dining. Parking is easy. Great place to go to watch sports if your game is on TV. Close to Renaissance Place theaters for after a movie bite, or before the movie

Visited October 2013

“Great BBQ”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great BBQ in a nice friendly family restaurant. Also choice of many other items on the menu, including Greek dishes. Gus, the owner, is always there with a smile and a friendly greeting. Good customer service. Also has a bar with sports TV.

• Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Not the place if you're a true BBQ fan.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you want a sandwich piled with sliced pork then covered in BBQ sauce, give this restaurant a try. The sandwich was okay, but not really sure what all the hype is about. Had my expectations not been so high, I may have enjoyed it more. I'm such an addict of BBQ that I drive around when I have the opportunity and try restaurants that I've never been to. Then, I take a photo of myself in front of the establishment and post it online. This time, I didn't bother with the photo.
There are two flags that I completely missed that, had I been paying attention, would have prompted me to leave before I sat down. First, when I walked in, there was no tell tale scent of thick BBQ smoke wafting through the air. Second, it was high noon in downtown Highland Park and this place was dead. For the 30 minutes or so that I was there, the only other person to walk through the door was a woman looking for donations to a women's shelter.
He has many other items on the menu, but I was there for BBQ. In my opinion, anyone who says the BBQ here is good has never had Texas or Kansas City style BBQ.
In all fairness though, I've heard he's got a great dinner menu.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank GOTYER6
Highland Park, Illinois
“Doesn't honor gift certificates”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A group bought friends a gift certificate and when they tried to use it, the owner would not honor it. He embarrassed our friends, who had regularly frequented this restaurant, and made them feel like they were trying to cheat him saying it was not sold by him. It was and we have the paid credit card receipt. As a result many of the locals will not eat at the BBQ Pit. Gus has shown he has poor business practice.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank 433NancyR43
“Great joint.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

When you first walk into the BBQ Pit, you might be worried because it is always usually pretty empty- but do not be worried. The food is very good!! The service can be a little slow sometimes- but not often. It is very good for take out also. Their homemade chocolate cake is to die for!!

• Visited January 2013