“A REAL D-e-l-i”

Ranked #15 of 109 Restaurants in Highland Park
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place reminds me of a real deli. Corned beef, mmmm good! It has everything eat-in or take it to go. Reminded me of a diner/deli but the food is unbelievably tasty. It's in a mall area and you'd miss it if you weren't looking for it. I will go back.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

consistently good food. Service is as you'd expect for a NYC style deli but food is good. same wait staff for years. Owners son is a bit surly but everyone else is great.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had a quick dinner there - food and service were good.
I was surprised to hear someone I thought was the host discussing another employee saying that he was "lazy, sloppy and rude to the customers but no one complains about him..."
I thought about this for awhile and was bothered by the fact that co-workers/managers/whomever would discuss this out in the open where guests could hear.
On my way out, I spoke with the person (who I later found out was the OWNER) and said that it was too bad I had to hear how lazy sloppy and rude the employee was. The response was "So am I"
I asked for clarification as I thought he was being funny. And I said that I heard the conversation about the employee which was a little disconcerting. He walked away.
I asked for the manager and started to explain the situation. The impolite man from the previous conversation then joined us.
He said "oh so now you're coming over here to tattle on me?"
Seriously, this was like third grade behavior.
I asked if he thought that was a very good response to what I was saying.
The conversation then went spinning into the atmosphere.
Zero point zero on the Richter Scale of customer service.
I have NEVER experienced anything even remotely like this in my life. And I write a restaurant blog.
Max's is going to have to spend a lot on PR to clean up their image.
I feel sorry for the employees and sorrier for the customers!!!!

8  Thank LS421
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband, daughter and I ate dinner here last night. I had a turkey dinner, which was delicious. After packaging the leftovers, I had a small dish of cranberry sauce in front of me that I planned on eating. The host came up and picked it up without asking if I was finished. I said to him, "Hey, you picked that up without asking me!" His response was, "Calm down" and handed it back to me. If anyone tells me to calm down, my response is an even higher level of anger. I said nothing, but was quite upset. When we were leaving, I sought him out and in a quiet, calm voice said, "I don't think it was very polite of you what you said before." His response to me was, "You snapped at me, call it what you want." and turned on his heel and walked away before I had a chance to say anything. Needless to say, he ruined my evening. Any employee always asks if he/she can take away your plate before doing so, empty or full.

The interesting thing was that I was telling the story to a friend today and she said that her friends had a similar experience with rude management, and they, too, will not return. If you want good deli, drive 10 minutes west to Max and Benny's. They are polite -- without fail.

8  Thank Renee R
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great deli, broad menu selections, OK-good service, wonderful pastries, great prepared foods. At 70 y.o. I was one of the youngest folks there. These are people who know what is good and keep coming back!