“The "Cheers" bar in Highland Park”

Norton's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 109 Restaurants in Highland Park
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The theme song from Cheers reminds me of Norton's..."where everybody knows your name..."
And yu know what, even if they don't know your name, you'treatedlike an old friend.
Everthing from burgers (excellent) to chili (terrific) to all kinds of salads. And don't miss the sweet potato fries!!!
We never have room for dessert, because all the portions are so BIG!
Many TVs around the room make this a sports bar, but it's also very comfortable for women alone.
Fun!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Usually my wife and I go to Norton's when we want to relax and want a good hamburger but the menu has a wide variety of appetizers, hamburgers, sandwiches and entrees. You can view the menu and hours at the restaurant's Web site. There's a full bar and a limited choice of beer and wine. After drinks, I ordered the 8-ounce Norton burger. That's a plain burger with lettuce and tomato on a bun or dark bread. I chose the bun and the great thing about it was it was soft. The burger itself was medium rare and about half an inch thick, meaning it was easy to eat. You get a wide choice of sides with it such as French fries, sweet potato fries, cole slaw, etc. I chose the slaw because from experience I knew it would be creamy and tasty. I also had a side order of an eight-inch thin crust pizza. Not only is there a wide choice of hamburger combinations but also a wide choice of pizza toppings. My wife had a turkey burger with cheese and mushrooms and a side cup of macaroni and cheese. Both of us thought our meals were delicious. Without drinks, tax and tip our bill was $18.25 a person. With drinks, tax and tip it was $32.50 each.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

we love Nortons--great service, friendly, good food-always feel welcome-gosh, even FREE popcorn and once in awhile a FREE drink- customer service has us hooked!

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I'm always excited when my parents suggest we go to Norton's!

My boyfriend and I came here the other day, revisiting the location of our first date. We both got the veggie burger, with grilled onions, and agreed that they were really tasty, and very hearty. I couldn't finish the sweet potato I ordered as my side, which was perfectly baked.

It's true that it's a little overpriced for what it is (over $2 for soft drinks is a little unreasonable, even with free refills), and I think it feels like home to a very specific clientele: the HP lifers, local moms and dads especially. Those are the people who are welcomed most graciously immediately when they come in, and maybe even recognize some faces on the walls. Still, for good grill food, it's a solid choice-- probably the best in Highland Park-- you just have to be ready to pay a little for it.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We needed a restaurant to go to before Ravinia Festival Concert. We went there because it was close and the menu seemed general enough for everybody's taste. My friends had chicken parm and spaghetti w/meatballs priced on the high side but the portions were large and they said the it was good, looked good. My husband had a corned beef sandwich w/fries, which for 12.50 was little on the small side but he said it was good. I had portebella mushroom sandwich and the waiter said "so good" but I was quite disappointed as the mushroom was not grilled enough and tasted like vinagar. It had on it grilled peppers, onions and cheese but that didn't help. Also, it had a tomato but being from Chicago in August I could not understand why they would put a supermarket tomato on a sandwich and not go to a farmer's market for good midwest garden tomatos. The fries were perfect, perfectly crunchy. Don't think we would go back as it was too pricey for what you got.