“A decent option if you live nearby, but otherwise not worth it.”
Review of Merlo

Merlo
Reserve with OpenTable
Merlo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 106 Restaurants in Highland Park
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“A decent option if you live nearby, but otherwise not worth it.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I ate here with 3 people including myself. The restaurant is a bit loud but not the end of the world. The waitstaff was a aggressive, including removing all out plates when we still had some food on the table in family style plates even though our individual plates were empty. Seemed like they were in a big rush or something, and maybe they were since it was Mother's Day. But if that was the case, then they took way too long to deliver our food. Don't rush us if you can't speed things up on your end too. We ordered the Tilapia special, the Merlo salad, and the Rigatoni Bolognese. The salad was pretty good, the others were at best average. If I lived in the area I would probably come here from time to time considering the proximity and other options, but since I don't I will not return.

• Visited May 2013

Glenview, Illinois
“Disgusting”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This just sucks. Everyone is incredibly rude and their food is poorly prepared and unauthentic. This shouldn't even be called italian food because my 10 year old son could make better.

Visited February 2013
Chicago
“Mostly good, some ok”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Not sure what tourists would go to this restaurant as it's in Highland Park, but for those who find themselves at Ravinia, it might be a place you would visit. Let me start by saying I enjoyed this restaurant. The same could not be said for the rest of our party. My wife, especially didn't like her chicken and she also thought the apps were not good. I thought the apps were very good and the veal excellent. The wine list was horrible. It's not that it was expensive - it's just that the choices were so uninspired and boring. The restaurant was very loud - I mean really loud as the tables were crammed together but the décor was nice. All in all, I guess my wife would give it a C+ and I'd give it a B+/A-.

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, IL
“Pleasant food, unpleasant sound level”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I visited on a Tuesday evening ... should be a quiet crowd on a weekday night in suburbia, right? Not at Merlo - by 8 pm the sound level had become unbearable. Lots of 30s, 40s, and maybe even 50s having a boys' or girls' night out -- and really enjoying themselves~! As for the food, my wife had spaghetti bolognese, which she liked, while I had the PEI mussels over pasta - think it was linguini. The mussels were just 'ok' -- not quite that freshly steamed greatness one always hopes for, but still acceptable. Our side of escarole as a starter was outstanding. Service was good. Our next visit, however, will probably be in the summer, when they open the patio --

• Visited January 2013
Highland Park,IL
“Just what Highland Park needed..”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just what the doctor ordered… Excellent straightforward food, reasonable prices, excellent service… (Rigatoni Bolognese is world class)..Bingo.. Everything Moderno was not.. Their attempt to teach people how to eat Italian food failed miserably , and people voted with their feet.. This place got it ALL right.. Welcome to the neighborhood ! Hope you're in for a LONG run!! I'm a local , and I will have eaten there three times this week (and my wife is an excellent cook!)..I've never done THAT before..

1 Thank gr5806