“Carlos' it isn't!!”

Cuisines: American, European, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Waukegan
Description: New incarnation of Carlos' a former gourmet restaurant in the Chicago suburbs
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nieto's, owned by the same owners and in the same place as the top of the line Carlos' restaurant, is a poor substitute. I should have been suspicious when I was able to get a reservation with fairly short notice for 7:30 on a Saturday night. Yes, it is energetic(read that as very noisy), and it definetly attracted an older crowd(I say that recognizing our group was in the 55-65 range and we were some of the youngest folks there). Our waiter was terrible; he was rude and inatttentive, except near tip time. Except for the guacomole(which was quite good) the food was very AVERAGE. The salmon was very fishy, the hamburger quite average and the lobster cobb very uninspired. Average food but substantial prices.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

What was once Carlos' is now Nieto's. It's a nice update. The food is very good, the room is busy and the atmosphere is energetic. Lovely!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

What the three of us ordered: After drinks, Cecy's Tacquitos -- quesco fresco, red onion, crema, lettuce and tomato in and over tacquitos; Guacamole and chips, prepared tableside with cilantro and other ingredients, so good I licked the spoon, and spinach-artichoke dip. For entrees we all had the risotto of the day: risotto with shrimp.corn and peas in a cheese sauce. For dessert I had Homer's cappucino ice cream and my wife had flan. We all liked everything and have reservations for a return, since my wife found several other entrees appealing. It was Saturday night, the place was jammed and moderately noisy but we could hear each other. Our waiter explained everything and he was attentive to our needs. Our table was in the rear of the restaurant where we could view the vitality of the place which we found to be infectious. Without drinks, tax and tip, our cost was about $28.00 a person. With drinks, tax and tip, the cost was $60.00 a person. Note: With the quacamole order a margarita, not a Campari and tonic as I did.
Also, a glass of a dry white wine would have been perfect with the risotto.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Went with family expecting a really great burger...but it was quite average. My son had a brisket sandwich which was also quite average. Rest of the menu can be quite pricey, don't know if it would have been worth it. There seem to be a lot of restaurants today serving safe items but at lower price points, but not standing out from the crowd.