“Incredible dining experience exceeded expectations!”
Review of Benjamin Tapas - CLOSED

Benjamin Tapas
Cuisines: Spanish, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Central and Second
Transit: Metra Union Pacific North Line. Highland Park stop is a 2 minute walk.
Description: We support many local distributors by obtaining products from local farms, artisans and boutique food growers. We will do everything on our part to stay as “green” and all natural as possible. Our focus is to provide top quality food and beverage within an elegant yet comfortable dining atmosphere at a an affordable price. You may also enjoy the celebrated cuisine of Benjamin Restaurant in the comfort of your own home with our full service catering. Choose from a selection of delicious offerings on our menu or allow us to create a customized bill of fare exclusively for your event.
Chicago, Illinois
“Incredible dining experience exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We made reservations at this restaurant last night because we were looking for a nice restaurant in Highland Park to go to before before we attended a concert at Ravinia. I read some on line reviews at both trip advisor and yelp. It sounded interesting but there were several reviews that had a negative tone too so I wasn't totally sure if we would like it or not. By the way, they offer a 15% discount off the bill if you present Ravinia tickets either before or after the show ...this was a draw for us.

Once we stepped in the door, I was delighted. Quaint, intimate, hip and fresh would be a good description. It wasn't crowded because it was 5:30pm on a Friday night. They brought incredible pretzels out with a cheese fondue dip instead of a traditional bread basket and I loved them!! I traditionally ignore all bread baskets..not wanting to fill up on bread. We ordered the Benjamin Signature Martini and I loved this drink! Martini that is spicy with tobasco sauce and blue cheese stuffed olives! I asked for the recipe before we left...... All the dishes we ordered were robust with flavor and had exquisite presentation. We ordered the crab avocado appetttizer and the scallops (must order unless you hate scallops!) and the grilled salmon for entrees. We loved both and shared the dishes. We ordered the banana chocolate crepe with Carmel for desert ..incredible. The General Manager greeted us several times and the staff was highly professional. We left there thinking what a great restaurant and we will be back with future Ravinia concerts! Go..you won't be sorry!!

• Visited September 2012

Chicago, Illinois
“Enjoyable evening, good food and service”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We went for an after theater dinner with some friends, the place is noisy but not intolerable. Service is both friendly and knowledgeable.

The food is complex, almost to the point of fussy, but is well prepared and with good combinations. I had the steak with the truffle fries which come with "truffle oil, parmesan, and garlic salt". Three of us had the fries, only one wanted them as described. (No parmesan for me, no truffle oil for another.) The steak was nicely prepared, it comes with pearl onions and mushrooms and has a balsamic vinaigrette sauce as an underlayer on plate. I found the sauce interacted poorly with the onions, I would order this again without the vinaigrette, and perhaps without the onions!

Desserts looked nice and they were very accommodating about my request for a single scoop of raspberry sorbet. Of course, as was the pattern with all of their plates, in came garnished with a sauce and a couple of berries! I was happy to eat the berries, really didn't want a sauce, just the single scoop of sorbet requested.

All in all, I would return, but I would be careful to explore exactly what was coming on plates to make sure I didn't get unwanted extras!

• Visited July 2012
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
“We Will Return!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Although Benjamin's has been open about a year already this was our first visit. It has a very nice comfortable ambience. The music was little loud when we first walked in, but when asked the staff turned the music down. By the time we left almost every table was occupied, and the noise level was well under control. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly but not obtrusive.

The food was terrific. I had the veal chop special and my wife had the NY strip. Both done perfectly. The bison skewer and crab & avocado appetizer were great, as was the cream of mushroom soup.

I don't know how we missed this place the past year. We will return!

• Visited July 2012
Chicago
“One of the Best Restaurants in the Northshore”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Benjamin sits at the edge of fine dining, serving very well crafted dishes reminiscent of the top restaurants in Chicago but at moderate prices. Dishes emphasize local, responsible agriculture, and they show great aspirations - interesting and complex combinations of ingredients and flavors on each plate. Most dishes reveal pleasant surprises, and many could not be done better. It is apparent that, whoever is running Benjamin's kitchen, is a person that wants to elevate each dish to something special, but still make the restaurant a very approachable, regular dining option. Well done!

• Visited June 2012
Lincolnshire
“Good food, atmosphere”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We went for "date night" to Benjamin's and had a first rate experience. The presentation of the food was excellent - the spicy tuna rolls were an excellent opening course and both the sirloin and the salmon met our expectations. The atmosphere upstairs was cozy and would have been romantic but for one loud table next to us. Our server was knowledgable and helped choose a nice bottle of wine.. This was definitely a place we will return to with our friends.

• Visited April 2012