“Perfect for a fix of BBQ when you dont want to travel”

Real Urban Barbecue
Ranked #6 of 109 Restaurants in Highland Park
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Real Urban Barbecue has four Chicagoland locations in Downtown Highland Park (610 Central Ave. #177), Vernon Hills (1260 S. Milwaukee Ave.), Oak Brook (2119 Clearwater Drive) and Skokie, IL (5328 W. Touhy Ave). Real Urban Barbecue specializes in dine in, carryout, and private or corporate catering. Their menu features homemade BBQ sauce and slow-smoked items like their famous burnt ends, award winning ribs, pulled pork, turkey, brisket and chicken, all slowly rotated on 11 Cookshack smokers capable of smoking 12,000 pounds of meat daily. RUB also offers sandwiches, fresh salads, comfort sides… And come for the barbecue, stay for the dessert! Real Urban Barbecue has recently expanded their spread of baked goods to satisfy your sweet tooth courtesy of the Real Urban Bakery.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We're no BBQ experts, but we do love it and have tried many of the BBQ places around Chicago. Real Urban is good, we will go back because its close to home, but its not our favorite for any of the mainstays. The brisket is tasty but usually too dry... go to Smoque. The ribs are just ok, not as meaty as Fat Willsy or Smoke Daddy, and sauces are a personal preference.. I could eat a 1/2 order at RUBBQ, but never a full slab like I have elsewhere. RUBBQ does have a great setting, nicer than the palces we like better. Interior is attractive, and one of the best outdoor pation anywhere.. on a veranda, covered, and quiet... so decent BBQ , close to home and great setting will keep it on our "need a BBQ fix" list. Its self service, but the staff is friendly and efficient.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Some in our party had Burnt Ends and said the signature dish was very good. I ordered a combo with pork rib and BBQ sausage. The rib were literally the worst I've ever had. Dry and tough which is unforgivable in any BBQ house. Sausage tasted like a hot dog with BBQ sauce. Sides were small and marginal at best. I went in hungry and most of the food was on my plate when they took it away. No one asked me about my meal.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The fish tacos are good, great flavor. Also loved the side dishes although the portions are a bit small on the sides. Since I don't eat meat I can't speak on that, but the husband was fairly happy with his ribs. The place does smell great.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Hands down the best place for ribs on the Northshore,
tried a full slab, dry rub. Delicious !
There is also a pretty good variety of side dishes.

Going early might help if you do not want to wait in line.

I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

The bbq meats and turkey are really good. The Cobb salad with bbq turkey is my favorite lunch. Sometimes I will have a variety of sliders with all the different types of meats. They also have deserts.