“Excellent”

Real Urban Barbecue
Ranked #6 of 109 Restaurants in Highland Park
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Real Urban Barbecue has four Chicagoland locations in Downtown Highland Park (610 Central Ave. #177), Vernon Hills (1260 S. Milwaukee Ave.), Oak Brook (2119 Clearwater Drive) and Skokie, IL (5328 W. Touhy Ave). Real Urban Barbecue specializes in dine in, carryout, and private or corporate catering. Their menu features homemade BBQ sauce and slow-smoked items like their famous burnt ends, award winning ribs, pulled pork, turkey, brisket and chicken, all slowly rotated on 11 Cookshack smokers capable of smoking 12,000 pounds of meat daily. RUB also offers sandwiches, fresh salads, comfort sides… And come for the barbecue, stay for the dessert! Real Urban Barbecue has recently expanded their spread of baked goods to satisfy your sweet tooth courtesy of the Real Urban Bakery.
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

This is excellent BBQ. We always have a tough time deciding between the beef brisket, pork and chicken- they're all so good. We also like the choice of sauces. I'm partial to the Texas BBQ and the Cherry Bomb. Sides are also very good. Atmosphere is "country." Clean and comfortable.

Highland Park, Illinois
“RUB”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The very first thing you will notice as you approach the RUB (Real Urban BBQ) is the intoxicating smell. If you crave BBQ (as I often do) your nose alone will drag you in here.

ENTREES
I like to stick with the sandwiches. My favorite is the pulled pork. It's moist, luscious melt in your mouth good! I'm not so keen on the burnt ends even though they are supposed to be the best. Personally I find them to be dried out and chewy. For the first time I tried the smoked turkey sandwich the other day and it was pretty darn good I have to say.

SIDES
Our favorite side is the coleslaw! Kind of pedestrian I know but seriously what is BBQ without some slaw? The son loves RUB slaw. He buys it in the quart size! They also make some decent mac and cheese. The husband always gets the green beans. They are good but personally if I'm having BBQ I'm most likely not thinking...mmmm I need me some green beans.

STAR OF THE SHOW
Really great original sauce is what makes RUB so successful. I could drink the stuff!

• Visited February 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellent barbecue”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Good portions, delicious burnt ends, tasty sides and friendly service. My favorite barbecue place on the North Shore.

Visited January 2014
Upstate NY
“Good Quality Barbeque”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at real Urban Barbecue twice so far. Both experiences have been very good, but not exceptional. The first meal I had there was over the summer. I ordered the brisket. It was good quality meat and had descent flavor, but it didn't blow me away. For Thanksgiving yesterday, the meat was from Real Urban Barbecue. We had the brisket as well as the turkey. Everything was tender and cooked well, but, the turkey was a little on the bland side. I would recommend Real Urban Barbecue, but would also advise you to temper your expectations.

1 Thank rhdoug
Deerfield, Illinois
“Best BBQ on the North Shore”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We love this place for lunch or dinner, whenever we crave good BBQ! Having lived in Texas, we always look for great brisket and RUB has it. The sandwiches are all good and the sides can't be beat.

Visited November 2013