“"You need screen doors!!"”

Abigail's American Bistro
Ranked #3 of 109 Restaurants in Highland Park
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Philosophy/Mission: We strive to be an unpretentious neighborhood restaurant with profes-sional services, a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere, offering an affordable regional menu with honest and simple preparations. The decor evokes the character of its neighborhood. The soothing earth tones with splashes of color and creative organic finishes, wooden bistro chairs, long banquettes, and joint tables; all lend themselves to a vibrant social atmosphere. Informed and professional yet warm and relaxed...there is a sincere effort at Abigail's to educate our staff on all aspects of food and beverage culture. The staff at Abigail's goes to great lengths to make everyone feel at home, and well taken care of. Our philosophy was born from the love of pure flavor. Using ingredients at their best, capturing the essence of the season will be Abigail's mantra. Abigail's goes to great lengths to procure the best products and prepare them with respect, creating menu items with simple appeal and elevated technique.
“"You need screen doors!!"”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We've eaten there a few times especially on birthdays and loved it EXCEPT for the fly issue!! It's a beautiful day and the door is left open so we spend the meal swatting flys away, so gross!! All it would take is a screen door! Someone in our party remembered this happening the last time we ate there!! So unappetizing and an easy fix, GET A SCREEN DOOR!

Abigails B, General Manager at Abigail's American Bistro, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Yes those flies can be soo pesky sorry and at that time of the year they eagerly charge through the back door as well with all the deliveries. Thank you for the thoughts, we will keep them in mind for next years season.

Des Moines
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My friends and I found ourselves in Highland Park at the Ravinia stop after a concert we had planned to attend in Ravinia Park was cancelled. Abigail's was the only restaurant in sight, so we took a chance. From the South African wine recommended by the server to the sides of polenta fries and brussels sprouts, the food was fabulous. Nothing was ordinary, yet everything was tasty and satisfying. We savored every bite as if we hadn't eaten for days. I would make the train ride from downtown Chicago just to go to this restaurant the next time I am in town. Abigail's is amazing and worth the trip to get there.

• Visited August 2012
Chicago
“Did the chef change?”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was our #1 restaurant favorite in the area, but in the last few months, the menu has changed along with the chef, perhaps? We used to adore absolutely everything, despite the wait to get in. However, our last trip was a major disappointment, and a costly one at that. I have talked to others in the neighborhood who have had similar recent experiences. Too bad!

Visited May 2012
Abigails B, General Manager at Abigail's American Bistro, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that your last experience wasn't everything you've come to expect here at Abigail's. We are very concerned that we have dissapointed you and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to regain your trust. Feedback is so important to correct and improve any establishment, we welcome your thoughts. Please accept our invitation for you and a friend to join us for a meal we know will renew your faith in Abigail's. Contact Cindy to make arrangements. Thank you.
Lockport, IL
“Loved It!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our kids took my wife and I to Abigails for our birthday before attending a concert at Ravinia. We cannot say enough about the food and the service. I had their "Beef and Brie Melt" and it was amazing. My wife had pan seared sea scallops and ravioli that were cooked to perfection. Our waiter could not have been more accommodating and attentive. Although this bistro is not a large place, it has great ambiance. This will be our "go to" eatery when we find ourselves in the northern suburbs.

• Visited July 2012
Highland Park, IL
“Memorable food”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I'm very impressed with the flavors of the food at Abigail's and the creativity of the cooks.

My wife and I dined here last night and split the crusted salmon and the duck breast. Both dishes had memorable flavor combinations that made creative use of a number of foods.The fish came surrounded by miniature pieces of curried cauliflower that were exceptionally good, with a nice Indian flavor; as well as numerous roasted leafs of some sort that had a satisfying crunchiness akin to eating a crispy french fry. We couldn't figure out what vegetable it was, so we asked the waiter, and he told us it was brussel sprouts, a vegetable I've never liked. Until now! The salmon itself was high quality and nicely spiced. "Crusted" wasn't really the correct word for it. Had the menu said it was rubbed with spices, that would have been more accurate, as there was no actual crust to speak of. It tasted fresh to me, and we agreed it must have been wild-caught.

The tender sliced duck breast was in an orange sauce and came with twigs of cilantro, slices of orange, spicy roasted bok choy and sweet potatoes. Again, the flavor combination was a real winner. There was spice from the bok choy, accompanied by the fresh tang of the cilantro and the fruitiness of the orange.

In both cases, the salmon and the duck were extremely nice, but the sides were my favorite part of the dish, which seldom happens for me elsewhere and attests to the brilliance of the kitchen.

This place misses a 5-star rating for a couple of reasons. It's way too noisy for me, and the wait for a table is too long. We were told 30-40 minutes (on a Wednesday night), so we opted to sit at the bar instead, which would have been OK except people kept coming up to the bar next to me and standing there waiting for their drinks, which didn't make for an elegant dining experience.

We didn't find the meal overly expensive - it was $54 for the two of us including a shared house salad and a shared glass of wine.

• Visited July 2012