“very dissatisfied”

Dining options: Reservations
Illinois City, Illinois
“very dissatisfied”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

drove 45 minutes to get there arrived at 6 P.M.was very surprised to see the parking lot was fairly empty usually its packed and standing room for seating but not tonight and after we ate there I can see why, the seafood buffet was cut down in size tremendously and they raised the price from last year, very poor lightening around the food the crablegs was horrible not much meat in them just wasnt good for what they charge for it, will probably never return..

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ladybug698

knb53
“Great family restaurant... Yum!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My family has eaten at Diamond Mineral Springs for years. In fact, ten years ago this week, my wife and I had our wedding reception there. And we've done several Thanksgivings there, usually when we've had more than one Thanksgiving to celebrate, and we didn't want to cook on multiple days. And as pretty competent home chefs with eclectic tastes, and having eaten in about every category of restaurant there is, from hole in the wall greasy spoons, to places like Emeril's, I finally decided it was time for me to review one of our old and faithful standbys.

Diamond Mineral Springs (and their sister restaurant, Blue Springs) serves up really, really good homestyle comfort food in a very nice traditional atmosphere. Our consistent favorite is the fried chicken, which is (based on its quality as well as consistency over many visits) probably the best we've ever had. (btw, for some reason we like Diamond Mineral Springs a little better than Blue Springs, even though the menus are the same.) Their fried walleye is also great, as are the roast pork and roast turkey dinners. (My only criticism on the latter two is the dressing... it is often overly moist and glommy/gluey... I like my dressing a little firmer. This has always surprised me, because most everything else there is so competently prepared.)

We like the family-style service for the sides... pickled beets, cole slaw, homemade apple sauce, biscuits, great mashed potatoes and gravy, and delicious green beens. You basically order your choice of protein, and the sides are the same for each meal, and if you want more sides, they bring them.

The portions are generous... we almost always take some home. And if you have saved room, the pies never fail to please....

They also have a bar, so wine, beer, and cocktails are available. This isn't their strong suit, and the list isn't extensive, but again, this is a family restaurant, and although alcohol is certainly available, the wine choices, etc., are modest in scope.

Bring cash or check... they don't take credit cards. And bring an appetite! This is down-home country style at its best.

• Visited October 2012
“Wonderful but too far!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I wish this restaurant was in Alton. I love to go here but the drive is so long we still make it here about twice a year and it is well worth the long drive. The pies are amazing. We always take a piece home for later.

Visited September 2012
“Great food”
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Excellent food and service! We will be back! We had the all you can eat walleye and catfish. Sides were served family style, and even the water tasted good!

1 Thank Karnkrew2
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A Local Landmark...Great Food!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Huge helpings, awesome chicken, seafood buffet as far as the eye can see and amazing pies!

• Visited April 2012