“this definitely can't not be HEAVEN..........” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas

Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“this definitely can't not be HEAVEN..........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

words are not enough to describe this property, each and every villa is with a private pool, again we opted for the beach villas purely for asccessibility.........my 15 yr old was free to cycle around the property, use the aqua activities area.........fantastic private villa, massive bathrooms..almost 80 sq mtrs huge just the bathrooms, the villa and the pool included seemed almost 250 sq mtrs..........the access to beach was mindblown, the privacy fantastic, you could be naughty in your villa with not a soul watching............the best part was the restaurant the SEA, its underwater and not artificial waterbed aquarium sorts, its actually submerged in the sea bed and has beautiful live corals and marine life with some amazing food over some brilliant wines, they have a wine cellar down there...........any pictures I put for this will not do justice to this place...........the spa was uber romantic, their beauty salon was just PERFECT..........they have managemnet cocktails once a week where every member of the management mingles with the guests and I must say each and every one in this hotel was fun, alive, lively and so friendly, you almost felt like family here...........brilliant vacation, I wish I could go back here again and again and again

Room Tip: I would recommend beach villas if you are with kids...........water villas are away but perfect for...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AjayChhabria
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Ajay,

First of all, it was a great pleasure to meet you and your family. These comments are really much appreciated, especially from a so well travelled person like you.

Yes you are right the lead category villa in Anantara Kihavah is 258 Sq., only for you. And as we discussed i would like to underline the magic of Kihavah is coming from the exceptional team who have a passion to create unique stay for our guest, nothing is too much.

Of course you will be always welcome back to our paradise, just jump in the plane and let s handle the rest. We are always working on new surprise for the guest and you must come back to discover it.

On behalf of the entire team, I would once again to thank you for sharing your experience with others. This world is very small and I am sure our path will cross again soon.

Wishing you and the family and fantastic year ahead.

Lionel Valla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

There is no one word that encompasses the beauty and uniqueness of Anantara Kihavah. Having just spent the last 8 days at the resort, we were totally blown away from the moment that we boarded the seaplane taxi until we returned to Male. The Villas are truly amazing and well thought out to ensure privacy is guaranteed. On arrival at our villa we were treated to a foot cleansing ritual by our charming villa attendant, while completing our checking in process at our villa.

The swinging day bed, outdoor seating area as well as the 2 days beds set in our pool was perfect to relax while looking over the pristine sea, when not exploring the island. It takes a lot to drag you away from the villa as they are so luxurious. The dining was of a much higher caliber of what was anticipated and dining in "Sea", the underwater restaurant, is a must and an overall magical experience. "Salt" was great and nice to see food cooked on the Himalayan salt blocks, and was not disappointed with the friendly salt sommelier who was on hand to guide us through which salt was best served with the food that we had ordered. Breakfast is served with free flow Champagne every day, and a great touch of being given your own i pad at breakfast so you can catch up with the daily news. Manzaru, the Italian restaurant serves amazing pizza and the risotto was out of this world. The staff are extremely attentive and anticipate your needs before you need to voice your request, which is so refreshing to see.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alex T
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Alex T,

First of All, on behalf of the entire team at Anantara Kihavah, I would like to express my recognition for sharing such praising comments.

I am delighted to read you had kept great memories from the various aspect of the resort and services. Our main Asset is our team and we always strive for perfection. It is important in such growing industry to push ourselves to review our guest offerings to show the difference and then create unique stay for all our guest.

I sincerely hope we will be lucky to welcome you back soon.

Burbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

where do i begin..... ? from the moment you step off your flight you are treated like royalty. We arrived at the resort around 11:30 am. We were met at the dock by a large welcome party including our villa host, Solah. After a quick tour of the island( which is beautiful beyond compare) we were taken directly to our room. At most resorts they make you wait until check in , usually 3 pm, holding your bags as you wander aimlessly around the resort. not Anantara! our room was ready upon arrival, and what a room! we stayed in overwater villa #215. we did take a tour of the beach bungalows and the overwater is definitely the way to go. It felt completely private and you can't beat jumping from your balcony into the ocean.

FOOD: we only ate at Plates for breakfast and lunch as it was included in our package. Find Maria. She is a wonderful waitress and made our dining experience! One day we were late to eat lunch and the sushi had been picked through. when i asked her if they would replace it she brought me a plate from the back with all my favorite things ...... how did she know? every day after i got my own plate of sushi. this i just one of the many things she did to make our experience special. the food was very good. my boyfriend complained about lack of variety ( we ate there every day for 8 days) but i was quite happy and we both thought the quality was excellent!

SPA: wonderful ambience, great service. the massage was one of the best of my life! masseuse was really skilled.
facial was great but they don't do extractions which i found disappointing. products were wonderful and smelled great!

Dive center: these guys were great. the most spoiled i have ever been scuba diving. after your dive you get a fruit skewer ..... delicious. we saw many many fish and a huge manta ray ( my personal trip highlight!

weather: we were there in early May, the begining of monsoon season. we had a wonderful thunder storm, some cloudy days and some super hot sunny days. we enjoyed the variety but if you are looking for all sun all the time May is probably not the best time for you. also, the water visibility was not as good as in Dec through Jan. but the mantas don't come around until May.

Solah, our villa host, was wonderful and very helpful. whenever we had a problem ( few and far between) or a request it was addressed right away. He always answered his phone every time we called. he arranged a late check out for us ( our flight from Male left at 11pm and the latest sea plane is at 5. for a small fee we stayed in our room until 6:30 then took a boat to a neighboring island with an airport and flew from there to male. instead of a 7 hour layover we only had to wait 2 hours in Male and we were helped with checkin by hotel staff at all airports.

on our last day the manger, Sobnem( i hope i am spelling that correctly) offered us a complementary massage. What a great ending to a perfect trip. I highly recommend this resort! i cannot rave enough about the enchanting location and top notch staff. thank you all so much!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mariac32123
Dear Mariac32123,

Thank you so much for for taking your valuable time to rate Anantara Kihavah and describe your stay to assist other guest to make the right choice for their next holidays in Maldives.

Once again, it clearly demonstrate that our team made the difference, as manage i am so lucky to work with such lovely people with the only wish to offer the best of the best to each guest.

Of course this praising will be shared with all the team and motivate them more to exceed their performance. Any hard work deserve a recognition and i cannot thank you enough for this.

I wish you a great year ahead and hopefully it will not be long before to see you again in our little paradise to share with you new experiences.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

My world stopped all of a sudden during my 6 days on Anantara Kivahah Villas on Baa Atoll, Maldives!!! This place is unique, uncomparable and prettier than any poster. I have never experienced such a welcoming, personal and excellent service! The staff at this resort is absolutely amazing!!! Without them, the place wouldn´t even be half of what it is! Even Lionel, the GM, is welcoming every guest by himself (AND saying farewell too!). The island and it´s surroundings are true paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean. I stayed in the over water villa....every morning there where baby black tips reefsharks swimming underneath....and dolphins in the horizon :-) That´s when my world stopped spinning... I highly recommend this beautiful place to everyone looking for some real relaxation, luxury and time to think. Thank you Anantara Kivahah, Lionel, all the rockin´staff (especially big thanks to Ranga for the best cocktails! Strong NOT sweet, exactly my taste) AND my lovely cousin Christian - the best dive instructor in the world <3 Love you guys and I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BineBeth
Dear BineBeth,

How to express my gratitude for such lovely comments. Anantara Kihavah is the result of a great team work to make every guest very special and unique. It always feel great to read so. Yes we are blessed to work in this industry where our duty is to create amazing memories.
Now all the guest will all request Christian to be their dive instructor ;-)
Thank you so much for this stunning recommendation. It was a sincere pleasure to welcome you both.

You will be always welcome to our resort.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Thank you for an unforgettable holiday. We had an amazing time. Special thanks to all the staff at kids club who were fantastic (thoi, adam everyone)and of course Maria, Jerry, Tom, Ali and all the restaurant team. And houssam who was a fantastic villa host. Thank you also to Ahmed who did a great job with our room.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ayu S
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Ayu S,

Greetings from Anantara Kihavah Villas in the Maldives!

Firstly, I want to thank you for staying with us at Anantara Kihavah Villas, Maldives. I truly appreciate you taking the time to rate our Resort.

Your compliments come as a great motivator in our quest for excellence and have been communicated to the entire team.
We are extremely proud of our team for their professionalism, dedication and service excellence, they are the essence of the success at Kihavah

On behalf of team, I wish you a great year ahead and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future in our little paradise. If there is anything I can do in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me.

In hospitality yours,

lvalla@anantara.com
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was a difficult rating for us since my husband and I enjoyed our stay very much and met the kindest of people working at the Anantara. However, we believe the resort falls short on a few aspects given its price tag.

During our stay, the hotel was at almost full capacity and was, to my surprise, hosting mainly big groups and families. If you fall in this category, book now - they are top notch. If you are on your honeymoon, you will not go wrong either, with the idyllic setting. However, if you are "just" a couple and a more discerning traveler... Well, then you might not find all the value you would expect for your money.

Island

The resort's setting is simply fantastic. We had chosen this resort over Four Seasons and Reethi Rah based on the pictures and, as some other reviewers would say, how balanced this resort is. We did not go wrong in this aspect.

The lagoon is simply amazing! I think that even the most beautiful pictures do not do it justice. We tried to compare it with many of the hotels we saw for the sea plane and it was, believe me, unrivaled. The island has a nice size, enough to keep you entertained if you walk by the beach of if you prefer to go inland to enjoy the beautifully kept vegetation.

Beaches in this island are also particularly beautiful, with powdery white sand and little coral by the shore (and they do clean up dead coral every day). And no sand bags or anything else spoiling the natural beauty.

Activities

Snorkeling is very good, especially on the very close house reef (between the water sports center and the spa), but also in some areas close to the water villas. I was surprised by the size of the schools of fish that we saw as well as by the variety. The big drop into the ocean is one of the most impressive I have seen.

There is also a good selection of water sports. The downside is that certain activities such as parasailing are only available at predefined and infrequent time slots (regardless of the weather or having a big number of people). For exactly the same price, which is already very expensive, other resorts will take off with a min of 2 people whenever you wanted to.

Accommodation

Water villas are out of this world! It is exactly as you can see in the pictures: huge rooms, beautifully decorated, big pool, wooden floor and the most amazing transparent bathtub. I could rave about them for a while, but there is not much to add to other reviews or the hotel's website.

They have truly minor design issues though (more of a concern for the hotel that you as a guest):
- there is a open window between the shower and the toilet, which means you cannot shower without getting the toilet paper wet ;)
- you cannot get into the pool (let alone jump) without flooding the lower part of the deck and all the side. The drain size and height is poorly calculated.

The only fact that you should indeed take with careful consideration as a guest is how transparent everything is. And don't mean the glass floors (very nice) but also the sides, in particular the shower and toilet area (there is only a curtain in front of the bathtub). I found this fantastic since you have unobstructed views of the lagoon from wherever you are in the bathroom. However, it also means that anyone swimming in front of your villa would have an unobstructed view of you :) Well, IMO, that's their problem :)

Additionally, while they have an appealing layout for adults, I do not personally find them suitable for children (although we saw many during our stay!).

Please note that unless you go around by the beach at all times, you will need a buggy to move around, in particular to reach the restaurants.

Villa location

I have also read very contradictory reviews about the "best" water villas. Now I understand that every side has its pros and cons and there is no location that is better or worse than the others, it's all a question of taste. Let me try to describe the different aspects you might be interested in (take the map of the resort and imagine that you are looking from the island towards the end of the pontoon).

- Lagoon view. If what you are looking for is the sight of the turquoise waters this resort is famous for, you will have more of it on the left side, especially the first villas and in the middle. The end of the left would be comparable to the first villas on the right.
- Sandy bottom. You have bigger stretches of sand before you reach dead coral on the left than on the right and seems better suited for swimming.
- Wind. At least while we where there, the right side was way windier that the left side. This also impacts the view on the "calm" lagoon.
- Sun exposure. Left side (faces south) and even better from the middle until the end.
- Sunset. There is no such thing as a sunset villa or a sunset side, except for the 2-bedroom residences at the end of the pontoon. However, in the last regular water villas you can still get a nice side view, I would say the last 5 on each side (and maybe a few more and better on the right side). Of course this changes depending on the time of the year; although the closer you are to end of the pontoon the better.
- Privacy. The ones on the left had more things to watch, planes and water sports, but everything was just too far to impact your privacy - I would probably just avoid the first 4-5 on the left because of the proximity to the beach. Some reviews have described certain location of water villas to be more private that others. I don't agree with this. I think privacy is only challenged by other guests swimming directly in front of your villa - and that can happen in any location. Nothing that you or the hotel can do to prevent it :)
- Noise. Unfortunately sea planes are TRULY noisy. It means that if you are close to the end of the pontoon, left side, you'll never be able to sleep past 6:45 or 7:00 am. I'm not sure it gets much better on other locations, bit if this is a problem to you then I suggest you ask for something far away from the platform (so best would be right side, beginning to mid of the pontoon). I wish Anantara could do something about this but I'm not sure what, maybe make then "land" and take off away for the main island during early hours?

Because Maldives is all about the water experience, I would recommend water villas over beach villas. But beach villas were also very nice, with a good stretch of beach for them and nice sun loungers (and you don't get the noise of the sea planes). The nicest beaches were, IMO, the ones facing south, in particular between the restaurant complex and the jetty - but you do have the proximity to the restaurants. On the other side, it is windier, with coarser sand - but you have direct access to reef if you are on the right on the water sports center and the most secluded part if you are on the left.

Overall, we found the food from very good to excellent.

- Fire was our favorite, menu is great and both sushi and teppanyaki chefs were amazing! Better seats starting from the right and then turning counterclockwise.
- Manzaru is a real Italian restaurant and a very good one
- Sea had an interesting setting but the food and wines, although not bad, were not worth the price. I would recommend doing it once if you are keen on the underwater experience
- Salt looked nice but I do not eat Asian so I can't comment. Other guests said it was very good.
- Room service was very good, fast and arriving hot!
- Breakfast was of good quality but lacked certain variety, in particular of charcuterie (no ham!) and of fruits (eg. no bananas during our stay and pineapple only for a few days). However, it had a good gluten free corner.

What's truly excellent about service at this resort is the way employees take pride on what they do and their hotel. They make you feel welcome and never want to leave.

- Housekeeping was fantastic, with someone taking care of your room twice a day throughout your stay. We had Rambe, who was very friendly, attentive and always doing little extras.
- Our villa host Mausool was also friendly and efficient. He was there whenever we needed him - but we didn't really need him that much :)
- Buggy service was perfect
- Service for dinner (restaurants and room service) was outstanding. In particular Angeline, Maria, Hunain and Sherpa.
- And I cannot stress enough the kindness and willingness of every single person we talked to at this resort

General resort manager Lionel was also fantastic: kind, professional, always present. He behaves the way all managers should.

However we had 2 main issues:
- Once during our stay they had to cut off power for 3 hours, from 2 to 5pm (or so they said). I don't know how frequently they need to do it, but I find it a problem on its own (especially since most people pay these prices to spend the day in their villa) and here you find yourself with no water, AC, fridge, TV, Internet connection or even phone. I think the hotel should compensate somehow for this inconvenience. Anyway, let's say you live with it. But then things take longer than expected and you start getting them one by one, electricity first, hot water at 5:30... At that point my husband went out and ask an employees passing if it was normal not to have a phone line or tv or Internet. He said he would bring someone. No one came. At 6:30 my husband went out again, under the rain, to get someone else. This guy said it would be fixed right away. Nothing. At 6:45 I used my own cell phone, with roaming charges or course, to find the hotel number, ask for the reception and very unhappily explain the problem. At 7:15 we got TV and phone, Internet came back much later. At that point we could go out for dinner (finally we could call a buggy) and complained to our villa host and to the manager (who was doing the round of restaurants). He was very apologetic and invited us with glasses of champagne. Nonetheless, I find the situation unacceptable for a resort of this caliber. Maintenance needs to take place, but organization and assistance to the guests should prevail.
- Breakfast service was very poor for most of our stay. You had to ask for everything several times and be prepared to wait... 15 minutes for orange juice, maybe 10 for a fork, etc. I heard several people complaining and some of them getting quite rude (which is not the way to show your discontent). We did not complain about this (we had already complained about the first point) but got a few apologies from the team about them being busy with big groups and kids. But on our 5th and 6th day things changed radically thanks to Tom, who somehow realized things were not going well and started taking care of us, making sure we had all we needed. Last day was back to normal since Tom was not there :( The funny thing is that they were all working really hard and trying to help so I can only thing of 2 causes: lack of personnel or lack of supervision (which surprises me a bit given the Manager's example)

Additionally, the resort seemed to have been taken over by assault by kids and groups. Impossible to reach the pool table or ping pong, kids were running uncontrolled (while nannies played with their iPhones). I think that the hotel should know how to put some limits in order to allow everyone to have a good time.

Problematic hotel policies

- Smoking. I thought that other reviews were exaggerating a bit and I kept telling myself, how bad can it be? Actually, very bad. Hotel policies state that smoking is not allowed inside your villa or IN restaurants (literally) But the definition of IN covers almost nothing (except for the Sea restaurant and a few almost unusable tables inside Plates for breakfast. The means that all the areas that have a roof and close pillars are considered outside and therefore smoker's paradise. Honestly, breakfast surrounded by smoke is a disgrace.

- Kids at restaurants. So I have explained that this resort seems family-oriented, but they could have been respectful to couples as well and at more respectful of their written commitments. When you arrive, you get a description of activities and restaurants, including the fact that Sea was for adults only except on Wednesdays. Having seen the way kids were behaving in the rest of the resort, we thought that Sea could be haven of peace. However, without knowing we had booked from home on Wednesday, so we explained and asked for a change which was granted to Thursday... Once there, and without any prior warning, we ended up anyway surrounded by kids of all ages running around like a kindergarten. At 240 USD + taxes pp, I would have liked and expected a more romantic dinner. We found other guests complaining about the same issue on other days of the week.

Conclusion

We are not people looking for royal treatment or a thousand activities, but at 2k the night, we expect a great location and a resort that gets all the basics right. Unfortunately it falls short on the latter, but did somehow compensate with a lot of extras where you could get the true "luxury" feeling.

We had a fantastic stay and would not hesitate to recommend it and come back - but I will monitor the Tripadvisor reviews closely to check if some little improvements do take place :)

Room Tip: All rooms have pros and cons, please read review for full details.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
24 Thank sebaysole
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Sebaysole,

Ola or i must say Bonjour ;-)

On behalf of the team, thank you so so much for your review. I really appreciate your time to comment your stay within our Resort. It is a great privilege to work in such lovely place and welcome guest as you both. Of course i understand there were few shortfall in services which we are working all together to solve this at the earlier. For sure our target is only 5 stars rating and i am confident with such product and amazing team it will happen soon. Once again my apologises for the power cut and this will happen only this time for some preventive maintenance. The team is dedicated to service excellence and each constructive comments is much appreciated and taken in account for improvement. Now Easter, true is perhaps not the best time for honeymoon, we have been victim of our amazing kids club team success who have created such wonderful word of mouth and it exceeded our expectations. I hope you will stay again with us soon and I will be delighted to show you the improvement myself.
Don't hesitate to contact me anytime,

lvalla@anantara.com
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our first visit to northern Maldives island and can guarantee that the seaplane flight is worth the extra money you have to pay for it, get's you into the mood as you are treated to fresh cold towels and drinks in the special Kihavah lounge waiting for your flight.
The island is stunning with a lot of natural beauty. All the villas have pools and the decor in the main areas is stunning. Like the timber finishes in the villas. Food was excellent, best bread in the world which was amazing to get out in the middle of the Indian Ocean. The uniquely painted buggies are wonderful, great idea and couldn't stop taking photos of them flitting through the trees or out on the overwater villas. Dream holiday and good memories but to short.

Room Tip: Overwater sunset side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaraA612
Dear SaraA612,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience.
it is always great to read such excellent comment and all the praise! On behalf of the team i would like to express our recognition. We are happy to create such wonderful stay memories to all our guest.

Hope to see you back at Anantara Kihavah in the near future.

With kind regards,
Kihaad Maldives
Kihaad Maldives
#10 of 13 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,294 reviews
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#3 of 13 in Baa Atoll

Been to Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas? Share your experiences!