“A great resort, close to faultless.”

Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I've read a few reviews on here that were a little critical. I must say I think they were being picky. I struggled to find much wrong with this place, but I suppose if I had to, there were 3 things...... firstly the "host" or "personal concierge", wasn't the best we've had. Hard to pin point, but I just don't think he added any value ( as opposed to our stay at the Nam Hai in Vietnam.... read our review on that place)...... my second criticism was that in the first 2 days of our stay we had random power outages. It took 4 visits from Maintenance to eventually get it sorted out. Our final criticism was the Dive Shop. They mixed some aspects of our bookings and some of the staff just didn't want to be there.
Anyway, now on to the good stuff !.
The resort itself is magical, from the time you are met in Male Airport and taken to a transfer lounge until the time you are farewelled on the pier by resort staff, this place is the complete deal.
It would be hard to give a full review of all the positives, but I will touch on some.
The rooms are great. Spacious, airy, furnished well, well stocked mini bar, comfortable bed. Some reviews complained about the privacy. I don't think that is an issue if you follow one rule.... Don't swim under anyone else's villa. I must say that we had neighbors either side and didn't hear or see them our entire stay. The bathroom is amazing - we just loved the glass bottom bath tub, and viewing glass in the toilet and outdoor shower. We would quite often see fish underneath.
The shower and bath look out into the attol and it is an maxing view.
The over water hammocks are great and surprisingly practical to relax in. Likewise the sun-bed on the deck was large and very comfortable.
We could have spent our entire stay in the villa without venturing out.
The snorkeling outside the villa leading to the resort reef is excellent. Lots of coral, and fish to be seen. We were lucky enough to see many Manta Rays and even a sea snake.
The breakfasts are fantastic with ample selections of Asian and Continental cuisines. We thought the fruit bar was a nice touch where you picked your own mangoes, guavas, pineapples etc. from a basket and they were freshly cut for you. The outside tables are best where you have the great water views, and of course as already mentioned, for those that want them iPads are available with international news.
We dined at each if the restaurants during our stay, and I suppose our favorite was "Sea", the underwater restaurant. The experience was amazing and the staff attentive. I would definitely go during the day so you get to see more sea life. Also, as other reviewers have said, no need to dress up, resort casual is fine. This restaurant has a set menu, but the chef is happy to customize your requirements. I think it would be nice though if they rotated the menu as it may have encouraged us to dine there more than once.
Our second favorite restaurant was "Salt". Again the staff were amazing. The menu was wide and varied with a distinctive Asian feel to it. The quirky aspect of this restaurant is that when they bring the food, the "Salt Somellier" comes to the table with a trolley of about 15 different salts and then gives you recommendations on what salt matches each food. He gives an I depth description of it's origins and qualities etc..... Quirky, but fun !.
We tried "Sky" restaurant once and it was nice, but after ordering we found out the fish was from Australia ??. With such an abundance of fish in their backyard I would much have preferred local.
We also tried "Fire" trepanyaki restaurant, and I suppose it was your typical trepanyaki restaurant. Nothing too special, but ok. Way too much butter cooked in with the grilled meat and rice. I felt 10kg heavier after dining there.
A nice option also is in the in-Villa dining. We enjoyed this several times and it was always delivered quickly and the quality was fine.
The staff at the resort were great. They took the time to learn a little about us, and remembered little things like how you like your tea, how you like your eggs prepared etc. They were attentive without being intrusive.
The only way around the island is by buggy, and we found that a call to concierge and a buggy was there within 5 minutes.
We booked the 2 hour couples massage and it was ok. I've certainly had far better, and I probably agree with some earlier comments I read that it's perhaps a little mechanical and just aimed at getting you in and out.
We booked 2 sessions with the Dive shop, firstly a refresher dive, and then a reef dive for the next day. The refresher dive was good, and it gave us the chance to practice those skills we were a bit rusty on. We were lucky enough to see some nice sealife in the resort reef including huge lobsters tucked away in the crevices.
The reef dive the following day was pretty good, with lots of great coral and sealife to be seen. We did 2 dives and each were quite different. Probably some of the best diving we have done, mind you we haven't dived extensively.
I'm summary, I think this place deserves 5 stars, we had high expectations on arrival and it would be fair to say they were met and even exceeded in several areas.
This would be a great resort for honeymooners, or those wishing to enjoy the beauty of the Maldives.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank howard_and_bec

Reviewed December 25, 2011

This is a great 5 star resort, My 3rd Trip to the Maldives and i just love this country. I wont mention any of the standard things about maldives and the resorts here, but rather i will mention the things that stood out (good & bad). We stayed at the Over Water Pool Villas

The Good Parts

SERVICE, never had such good service ever, and all thanks to Hossame who was our Villa butler, the idea of the butler was honestly very very good, i never thought would make a difference but it does, Anything i wanted i would have one point of contact, i would pick up the phone and speak to him, rather than to 3 or 4 different people. For example, when we arrived he explained some of the activities and right there and then i told him i wanna go diving once, private island once, we need snorkling kits, we want to arrange a snorkling trip etc.. and all that was done in one conversation to one individual and it was all set, i didnt have to follow up with the dive centre seperately etc. Service was perfect! Everyone at the resort is extremely friendly.

The Room is great with spacious closets and spacious bathroom and a great sized pool (not a plunge pool! which i find useless), free wifi which is standard at most places (except Four Seasons Landaa). The tub has a glass floor which is cool, and there is also an outdoor shower which is pretty funky.

The private island trip. Amazing! if complete privacy is what ur looking for and money isnt too much of an issue (shouldnt be as ur spending a hell of a lot to be there anyways) try this! They set up the island beautifully and we had our lunch there, we were there for 4 hours and honestly it passes sooo fast i could have stayed longer, very romantic and completley 100% private.

Snorkling Trip. We did a private snorkling trip just me and my wife with the female marine biologist, was amazing, she took great pics of us and the fish and we had an amazing time. Try it!

Underwater Restaurant. Food not great, but the view is, and that why ur there. Lot of different fish and we just spent forever just watching them.

The Bad Parts

Privacy! The bathroom, more importantly the shower is not private at all, the shower has a huge window faccing the ocean and is not tinted nor has any blinds or coverings for it. Which means if anyone is swimming in the ocean outside your villa they can clearly see into your shower should u be in it. I was swimming out and could cleary see into my neighbors shower. Big problem if u ask me, at least they should have put some sort of blind so you can chose whether u want it open or closed.
Another Privacy issue is when you are on your sun loungers, it is very possible for you neighbour to be able to see you while he is on his deck, which causes a problem is you are naked and dont want people to be able to see you. (Other resorts i had been to didnt have this issue)

Bathroom no A/C. The bathroom has no A/C which is a problem, at first what we did to combat this is left the bathroom door open, when we did that what happened was our room wasnt cooling as much. This was an issue i never faced at any other maldivian resort.

The Water Level outside the water villas are quite low (i know this is mother nature but its just a note), doesnt go above your waist or upper chest max. There is no coral next to the water villas and hence no fish so snorkling was useless there. I was at W Retreat Maldives and our water villa had nice coral and fish right next to our villa, and water level high enough that you could jump out of your deck and into the ocean, not possible here.

There is no space in the bedroom to properly eat your meal while watching tv, the seating area is outside, but in the villa we found it very hard to eat our meal as there was not enough space for a table and chairs.

Overall, a great reost apart from the cons i have mentioned. Like all of maldives the main problem is its very expensive.

(I passed by to see the beach villa and honestly wouldnt recomend it as the ENTIRE bathroom is outdoors, it has a roof but its fully outdoors which is nice in a way but not very practical as the weather is hot usually(The bathroom is completey private though))

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Resort_Maniac
Reviewed December 16, 2011

room is clean. we had the ocean villa.
the cleaner made effort to clean up the algae on the stair way into the sea when we ask for it.
weather was gd. it was stormy for the 1st 2 days but sunny for the next 3.
they make the bed once in the morning n once in the night.
we had a great time in our pool n chasing fishes ard the villa.
we had a baby manta swim right across our villa.
do go!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Hongzter
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We are just back from 1 week to anantara kihavah ....we had book a over water pool villas and it was truly wonderful with every details we can dream off ... this was our 5 th resort in maldives ( after w , conrad , one and only and huvafen fushi ) and we found in anantara kihavah a mix of we what we really appreciate in each other resort ... the island is not too big and the lagoon is womderful with so many fish , turtles and coral to see around and dolphins quite every day ... the food offering is huge with an italian restaurant , manzaru with a really good italian cook ...then the japanese teppanyaki table restaurant offer us 2 wonderful diner and really excellent ...the asian restaurant salt offer a salt for each topic and a good cook ...then we also try the underwater restaurant sea where you will have a good diner with wines and see so many fishes while dining a unforgettable experience .... we try the buffet on friday dinner and it was amazing with oysters and so many raw fish and other prawns by the grill .... and at last we have an dining by design on the beach ( lobster dinner ) and they prepare us a so wonderful atmosphere and a fantastic dinner .... special thanks to our villa guest , houssame , from morocco for his kindness and for all that he do for us to make this stay wonderful ...... also special thanks to gino , the resort manager for all he do for us ...and thanks to all the team

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank jacob s
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Went there early October 2011 for our Honeymoon and had a wonderful experience.

Resort was exclusive enough, yet, you don't really feel too "alone". Beautifully decorated rooms. Food at all the restaurants, especially SEA, was amazing. However food at FIRE was unprofessional and lacking, they need to refine their technique in both making their rolls and tempura --> you don't soak it in oil for 10 minutes. =\ Breakfast spread was really good, love the variety.

Took up beginners Dive course there, and was taught by an amazing instructor - Kristina. We were lucky to have her introduce us to diving. Best thing, there was a drop right within swimming distance from the beach, so you can actually dive 15-40m without leaving the resort.

Only drawback was that there were too many people who brought their children, and there was a group of tourist that were just too noisy. Well, just our luck I guess.

Strongly recommend this resort if you are considering a Maldives trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paupaung
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We like to try different 5-star resorts in the Maldives and this is now one of our favorites and definitely had the best service! We felt like VIPs!

Even before we arrived service was fantastic: When I emailed back and forth with the resort I was got a response within 24 hours of my email (which is great considering the time difference). The hotel was also great in taking advance reservations, answering questions and providing special service since we were celebrating my birthday.

The moment you arrive you are given a Villa host that takes care of you the entire stay. Ours was Ishaaq and he was WONDERFUL! He is actually the best villa host we have had at any hotel in any destination. He arranged all of our dinner reservations, scuba, checked in on us, always had a buggy waiting to take us places if we wanted it, specific sea plane departure time, DVDs----you name it, Ishaaq made it happen! He also went above and beyond. An example of this was it was my birthday and instead of just arranging a cake (like they do at most resorts), Ishaaq asked me what type of cake I wanted and he arranged the exact cream and fruit cake that I wanted - complementary, of course. We were very impressed. Ishaaq also got to know us personally which was a nice touch and made us feel special and we enjoyed the bespoke service.

Another example of what a great villa host Ishaaq is was that we were going to another hotel after Anantara Kihavah and our sea plan transfer was late (no fault of Anantara...it was the sea plane company's fault but it was stressful since we had to fly back to Male and then take the other sea plane company to our next resort) but Ishaaq saved the day by personally calling our other hotel AND the other sea plane company to rearrange our transfers and to make sure that everything was perfect for our arrival. We were so appreciative!

Getting back to the specifics of the resort, in addition to the service, our other favorite aspect was Sea (the underwater restaurant). I would come to Anantarah Kihavah just for this restaurant. It was an awesome experience. My tip would be to eat there for BOTH lunch and dinner. The reason is that during lunch there is better visibility since it is daylight and you get better photos (unless you have a camera that takes great night photos---ours was only average). Nighttime you see well because there are lights and you also get to see different types of sea-life/fish that come out at night as opposed to the day. It was interesting for us to see more predator fish at night. I really would do both since it would be hard to choose which one. Sea is open from 12pm-2pm for lunch and 7:30pm-10:30pm for dinner. My tip for both lunch and dinner would be to make reservations for the earliest time (12pm or 7:30pm) and make sure you arrive slightly early so that you can get the best table. You should make reservations ahead of time by email or immediately with your villa host when you arrive. (Anantara recommends advance reservations for all restaurants but the ones you really need it for are Sea and Fire <Fire because there are only 12 seats>) In Sea, all tables are good but the table directly in the center (if the restaurant is a clock face as you walk in the table would be 11/12 o'clock) and then the table to the left of it (again if the restaurant is a clock face it would be 10 o'clock) are the 2 tables that had the most fish and sea life when we were there. Lunch is a 3 course meal that has lobster in each course. You also get an amuse-bouche, fresh baked warm bread & butter and 2-3 glasses of white wine (Sea is also a wine cellar with an impressive selection of wines). The price per person for lunch is $185/person. This may seem like a lot but the Maldives in general are expensive for food and in addition to getting a delicious lobster lunch you also get the amazing experience. We were at lunch almost 3 hours just enthralled looking out into the sea. It was really fantastic. The quality of food was also the best out of all of the restaurants on the Island. For dinner at Sea it is a 5-course set menu with a wine pairing and you get a glass of wine with each course. Unlike lunch (where it is a set menu without choices) for dinner, there are 2 choices for each course so there is a lot of flexibility. My husband and I purposely chose different courses so that we could try them all and each one was delicious. When you arrive you are also given a glass of champagne and an amuse-bouche. Dinner is $240/person but it was definitely worth it. Doing both lunch and dinner at Sea is something I highly recommend. If you can only do one because of budget constraints then lunch is a fine choice since it is less expensive and you will get better photos since it is daylight and the visibility is better. Dinner though is delicious and when you consider the wine pairings and ambiance it isn't a bad deal. I really do recommend doing both!

The other restaurant I would recommend making advance reservations for is Fire since it only has 12 seats (6 on each side). Fire is open for the first dining from 7pm-9pm and for the second dining from 9pm-10:30pm. Fire is an outdoor restaurant where you can watch the chefs doing teppanyaki and they also have sushi. Be careful though since some of the sushi rolls (such as the one with rock crab) did not say in the menu that they were fried and I was a bit surprised when I got a sushi roll that was soaked in oil and batter. They were nice (again, the service is great) and I was able to send it back and not pay for it but still, they should specify on the menu if the roll is going to be deep fried. I ended up just getting individual sushi which was actually the least expensive meal we had at the resort. My husband got one of the set meals and enjoyed it as well.

Fire was our second favorite restaurant at the resort although we did not eat at Manzaru (the Italian restaurant that is closed for dinner on Tuesdays/Fridays when the dinner buffet at Plates is open but otherwise open for dinner from 7pm-10pm and doubles as the pool bar and you can also get snacks and lunch there from 12pm-5pm (the bar is open from 8am-midnight). We did got to the pool bar at Manzaru and if you ask (here's a tip :-) ) they give you complementary bruschetta with your drinks that was very tasty.

We were also at Manzaru for the Managers Reception which was a classy event with a variety of alcohol, appetizers and an impressive Oyster Bar where you could have as many oysters as you wanted. It was also a nice opportunity to meet and socialize with the staff.

Salt is the other main restaurant where you order dishes and you can choose a variety of salts to accompany each dish (Asian themed). This was our least favorite restaurant. The food was okay but for the high price we paid it was not great value for what we received. Sea is open daily for dinner only from 6pm-10pm.

Sky is the bar that is open from 12pm-midnight. They serve tapas there that were very tasty snacks from 5pm-7pm. Although when we arrived one afternoon at 6:15pm and tried to order tapas one of the waiters said that they no longer served them past 6pm. When we asked another waiter and told them that it was written in the dining guide 7pm, the other waiter promptly gave us menus and let us order. This is just a warning to you if you show up there and they tell you it is not available, to just ask someone else since they do honor the times in the dining guide. Sky also has a selection of drinks that is DIFFERENT from the menu at the Manzaru pool bar so I would recommend going to both Manzaru and Sky for different fun specialty drinks. The reason they call the bar Sky is that you can choose to sit on the terrace over the water or you can climb upstairs to the rooftop bar so see the beautiful views from above.

Breakfast is complementary and it is delicious with a large variety. The variety only changed slightly day to day but this was okay with us as we were happy that we could get our favorite foods each day. The different made-to-order omelets, noodle dishes and crepes/pancakes were the highlight. They also had different soups, cheeses & meats each day and offered a great mix of Asian, American, European and British breakfast favorites. They also have a large variety of fresh fruit and you can ask them to prepare you everything from passion fruit to pomegranates, to lichee, to mangosteen to mango to pineapple to melons, I could go on and on, the fresh fruit variety was impressive. They also offer a variety of fresh juices and champagne with breakfast - all included.

Jean Luca is the food and beverage manager and I must thank him for making my birthday very special as he gave me my favorite drink (mango blended with kurumba coconut milk) served in a coconut he carved for my birthday breakfast. That was very nice of him and made me feel special.

The resort has an extensive Room Service Menu (In-Villa-Dining) and you can actually order dishes from all of the restaurants (except Sea) in addition to normal Room Service type foods. The prices were actually very reasonable with only about a $3 or $4 mark up from the prices in the restaurants. You can also choose special "Dining by Design" where you can choose to eat at any location on the beach, boardwalk, etc.

One of the best things about the resort was the Villa. It was amazing and the nicest one we have been in (overwater) in the Maldives. It was huge with a large pool, lounge chairs w/umbrella, table & chairs, swinging bed, 3 hammocks built into the balcony, an indoor and outdoor shower, daybed inside, bar area, 2 dressing rooms with closets (his & hers and hers had a lit makeup mirror with seat, hairdryer). There are 3 windows in the floor to the sea: one in front of the toilet, one in the outdoor shower, and most impressive the entire bottom of the sunken bathtub is see through down to the sea. We stayed in Villa 218 (we requested a villa private far out along the jetty and we were very happy with 218) and we were delighted that a Ray seemed to live under our villa at night as it was fun to see him swimming around down below. There were also pencil fish and a few other fish. Interestingly, there seemed to be more sea life below at night than during the day.

That brings me to our only negative about this resort....there is not much sea life or snorkeling opportunities close to the over-water villas. The island does have a house reef that drops off along the reef wall that we scuba dived on (12 meters is one of the best views so if you snorkel out far and swim along the reef wall and don't mind looking down a bit then it will be good) but it was a bit of a swim from the water villas. A tip would be to walk to the dive center and then swim out from there since it is a much shorter swim to the reef wall. We were thrilled when we scuba dove on the house reef wall that we saw both a sea turtle and a dolphin! We were hoping to see a turtle but the dolphin was an added bonus. It swam right up to us, did a little twirl around us before swimming off. It was a great experience!

Overall, the resort is expensive but we found it to be good value in the high quality of the villas and the excellent service we received. We hope to return one day in the future and highly recommend this resort to others!

Room Tip: Email in advance to request a room - it is not guaranteed but they are very nice and will try to acc...