Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Aloha Rasdhoo(Rasdhoo)
Excellent 5/5
  • Pool
Great 4.5/5
    Velidhu Island Resort(Velidhoo Island)
    • Beachfront
    Bathala Island Resort(Bathala Island)
    Very Good 4/5
    • Restaurant
    VOI Maayafushi Resort(Maayafushi Island)
    • Beachfront
    Gangehi Island Resort(Gangehi Island)
    • Restaurant
    Nika Island Resort & Spa(Kudafolhudhoo Island)
    2,876 results
    All reviewsjacuzzi water villaall inclusive packageour honeymoonsunset dolphin cruisefishgames roomwest sidemini barsea planea la carte restaurantevery mealno shoesout of this worldhouse tourbeach dinnerwindsurfing lessoncurries
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed July 1, 2012

We don't normally do beach & pool holidays, but as it was our 10th wedding anniversary, I decided to surprise my wife with somewhere special and it more than lived up to my expectations. I decided to maximise the holiday itself, choosing this 4* island and compromise on the flights and length of the holiday to keep it in my budget. Flying Economy class from Heathrow to Colombo & then on to Male is what it is, but then the holiday begins. The Sea Plane transfer, although loud (they gave us ear plugs) was spectacular and as we approached our island we knew our eyes were due a feast for all the time we were there.

Door to door it was a 21 hour journey, so we ended up missing the welcome drink, partly because we were stunned with our Jacuzzi Beach Villa. My wife had a tear in her eye as she gazed from the bedroom across the deck and 20 yards of pure white sandy beach surrounded by vegetation to the turquoise sea.

We had travelled light, but I soon realised we could have travelled lighter, with English electric sockets, free flip flops & bathrobes, beach towels as well as bathroom towels. In fact we never sues our own or the free flip flops as we stayed barefoot, the restaurant & bar both had sand floors.

But this was just the start - I had chosen the all inclusive package to prevent me having to keep an eye on spending and would recommend that option. drinks were served, but the food was an all you can eat buffet and was of the highest quality with a huge choice, something for everyone. I had expected some limitations due to it being a Muslim country, but no I had bacon every morning with my cooked to order omelette.

The infinity pool was large and there never seemed to more than 4 people in it, even the children's paddling pool was an infinity style.

The Maldives is a great place for divers, but that is not our thing so we did not take up the included 1/2 snorkelling lesson, or the 1/2 windsurfing lesson for that matter, or even the free use of the kayaks. This place really is all inclusive.

We did take up the sunset boat trip and were delighted to see about 50 dolphins at close quarters. I shot a lot of video. To sit with my feet dangling over the bow of the boat about 1' above the water with a dolphin a foot or two under the water is something I will never forget.

We also took advantage of the boat trip to the local inhabited island 20 minutes away, and it is very clear how dependent the country is on tourism, so we bought the tee shirts.

On our actual anniversary we upgraded our free introductory 15 minute massage (to be taken in the first 3 days of the stay) to a full hour each, and had same room simultaneous massages - not cheap, but very therapeutic after the long flights.

We did manage to spend $270 on the island, mainly in the gift shop, which has a great range.

It was mostly couples, many on honeymoon, but some a bit older (probably also anniversaries). One couple had a baby with them, who was doted over by the waiters, there were also some families with pre teen children and even a mother & daughter (40s & 20s) I am sure none of them felt out of place, but it is probably not the place for boisterous teenagers wanting to drink & dance all night long.

Mostly it was Germans & English, with a few Japanese, and a Canadian couple (yes it is worth that journey). I suspect the balance between Germans and the English reflected the current status of the European economy.

We travelled with Kuoni and it was so seamless I was worried I was missing something, but I wasn't.

In conclusion, if you want the holiday of a lifetime in a place that looks like paradise choose the Maldives & if you want the service to match choose Veligandu

Room Tip: All the Beach villas are on the same side of the island & so there is nothing really to choose although the higher numbers are further from the facilities and probably a bit quieter
    6  Thank Dave P
    Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon for 2 weeks at the beginning of May. When we arrived in Male we were taken to the Veligandu lounge by bus where we filled out some forms before boarding the seaplane. The lounge was wonderfully air-conditioned with a selection of free soft drinks which was very welcome as the main airport was very hot. I would suggest waiting, if you can, to use the bathroom until you get to the lounge!
    When we arrived we were taken to reception and given a cold glass of ice tea and a cold towel before being taken to our room. We had a jacuzzi villa on the sunrise side. The room was beautiful and spacious with plenty of space to unpack. The bathroom was large and my husband especially enjoyed the monsoon shower. The jacuzzi was maybe not necessary but we did use it as it was there and you could control the temperature easily so it wasn't too hot. Our room boy was excellent and on our first night we came back from dinner and our bed was decorated with flowers and we had a basket of fruit. We did change rooms during our stay so we could also spend some time on the sunrise side as the reef was meant to be better. We were moved after 5 days and it was lovely to get to try both sides. We did prefer the sunset side as this got a breeze and sun in the afternoon. The sunsets we gorgeous too.
    The food was wonderful and often I would have such a strange assortment on my plate but I just wanted to try as much as possible! We never had the same meal twice and I got the impression the menu was on a 2 week rotation. Sunday nights were Maldivian night and they had a wonderful selection of curries. If this wasn't to your taste they also had steak and other options but I would suggest at least giving the curry a go. Dessert was my favourite part of the meal, this never disappointed. Buffet can get a bit tiring after two weeks but we weren't sure the a la carte was worth paying all the extra money for as the buffet food was so good.
    The pool was nice but we only sat round it a couple of times. The bar staff would come out and bring you drinks and cold towels which was a treat. We preferred the loungers on the sand spit as it meant easy access to the reef if we fancied snorkelling. There were some beautiful fish as well as sharks and I did see a turtle but had to go out quite far to see this. I did get quite a shock once when a manta ray swam right past me and sadly didn't recover in time to take a photo. There are lots of sting rays and you have to look out for them as I almost stood on one at the bottom of our steps leading into the sea.
    We did a couple of trips including the snorkelling one and the Rashdoo trip where you could get souvenirs at a much cheaper price than in the Veligandu shop. The dolphin cruise was wonderful and we saw lots of dolphins.
    The only thing that was slightly annoying was the All Inclusive. It didn't include the mini bar but they say this is changing in November. We would stock up at the bar and take big bottles of water and soft drink to our room.
    I'm not sure how much tipping was done here but we did tip a few of the waiters in the bar and after that they could not do enough for us.
    We went to the spa twice and this was wonderful. The honeymoon indulgence package was excellent.
    All in all we had a wonderful time and would love to go back here anytime.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
    2  Thank Natalie R
    Reviewed June 29, 2012

After a 33 hour total travel time - we were VERY tired, achy and crank...but very excited to finally arrive at Veligandu. It started raining during the short 15 min seaplane ride (the ride itself wasn't bad at all, but the smell of fuel was overwhelming), but it was expected since we were at the beginning of rainy season ;-) Check-in did not go as expected (despite emailing and receiving confirmation from the resort a week before our arrival) and like other reviewers have complained, our room was not available the first night. We weren't in the jacuzzi over-water bungalow we originally reserved, but an over-water bungalow on the sunset side (which had choppier water and was noticeably louder). They offered to comp us a bottle of wine and $50 off our total bill. We were not pleased and BF instead asked to be comped an hour-massage for each of us, which they were fine with. On our second day we waited for an attendant to take our luggage at the time we were told, but after a couple calls someone finally came an hour later after the scheduled time. It was just a bit of a hassle since we rushed through lunch and we just wanted to be settled into our actual room.
    We were very happy in our second room (jacuzzi, over-water villa) on the sunrise side (so much quieter, not as choppy) and we couldn't stop staring at the water from our deck, waiting to see what marine life would swim by (sting rays, black-tip reef sharks, various fish, dolphins in the distance)
    Staff was very nice and helpful, but service was a little slow for us at times. But I understand that is just how 'island' time works.
    We didn't tire of the food (though we were there for 7 days, while most were there at least 10 days or so). There was a variety of foods at every meal (try the various curries and rice!) and the chefs were happy to prepare your dishes at the egg/waffle or pasta stations.
    Many times we felt like we were the only ones on the island. The beach wasn't too crowded, though we did have to save loungers on the non-windy side before breakfast.
    We snorkeled many times right off our deck or at the far end of the beach. We saw so much marine life snorkeling that we opted to skip the dive that we were planning. The best thing was seeing so many sharks right on the beach, the literally swim on the shore! We also did the snorkeling excursion (speed boat) which we highly recommend! We were taken to two places 45 min away from the resort. At one of the places we saw a baby turtle that we followed for about 10 min! We also highly recommend the dolphin/sunset cruise. No sunset for us, but saw around 15-20 dolphins!
    We went to the spa 3 times! I enjoyed the coconut treatment (coconut hair mask, fresh scrub and a bath overlooking the water!) and two massages. I would've preferred more pressure, but otherwise it was very relaxing.
    We used the gym a few times during our stay. On the small side with a couple treadmills, and a few machines, but clean and usable equipment.
    We felt the all-inclusive option was the way to go, esp since I enjoy a glass of wine or two during lunch and dinner (btw, their house white wine is DELISH and I didn't have anything else the entire trip!). It was a bit of a hassle that the mini-fridge wasn't included in the all-inclusive package. Like most people did, we just had to remember to bring water bottles from the bar back to our villa. It also would've been nice to have internet available at more areas of the resort (not just the bar AND not at such a high rate). But oh, well - no internet on vacation isn't a bad thing! ;-)
    Overall a wonderful and memorable vacation at Veligandu. The views from the villa have probably ruined all future tropical vacations for us!

Room Tip: Sunrise side was the way to go. We were in Villa 105 which was a perfect location, not far from the restaurant, spa or gym. Bring an iPod to listen to on the iPod dock while you lay out on your private deck ;-)
    3  Thank Michele W
    Reviewed June 23, 2012

i just come back from there,every thing is good ,the waiter in the island are all kindly and nice.
    the service are very excelent. and the food are good .
    evert thing feel perfect.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Wonderful island nothing we can add to previous reviews it is everythng you could wish for and more.Jacuzzi water villas spotless ,staff couldnt do enough for you and always with a smile.Meals and choice absolutely beautiful and delicious.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple