“A relaxing break in a peaceful setting with outstanding hosts”
Review of Mission Oak Inn

and 1 more site!
Mission Oak Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Henry B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Who would have guessed that this treasure would be hidden just off a gravel road in rural Henry, Illinois? Leaving the cornfields behind and driving onto the property was like Dorothy leaving her black-and-white house and emerging into the glorious Technicolor of Oz. The property is absolutely stunning -- the tranquility of the lake, the vibrant colors of the flowers, the vigorous activity of countless hummingbirds, all suggesting the unspoiled beauty of the Creation as it was intended. The house itself combines the warmth of rustic charm with the indulgence of modern convenience. Everything is immaculate -- the room, the dining area, the common areas, the porch -- and the garden and lake are well-tended. The food is outstanding, artfully prepared and elegantly served. And the crowning feature of this gem is the gracious hospitality of its hosts, Denny and Jan Reed, whose openhearted friendliness (coupled with their skill and passion in what they do) make Mission Oak Inn truly unique.

Room Tip: There are two rooms to choose from, and I don't see how anyone could go wrong with either. We s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank weber93

Reviewed February 26, 2012

My husband surprised me with a week end away at Mission Oak Inn. It was lovely. When we arrived Jan and Denny had made a picnic basket for us and left in our room. The food was incredible. The next morning Denny made us breakfast, and honestly I have never had such a wonderful meal. I think what we enjoyed most was the quiet and the views. Our room looked over the lake and it was just beautiful. We have already booked another week end in October. Hopefully the trees will cooperate and we can enjoy the fall colors. It was so nice to get away. Jan and Denny were the perfect hosts. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We enjoyed there company during dinner, to have adult, uninterrupted conversation was priceless. However, when we decided to be alone then we were alone and Jan and Denny respected that. I highly recommend a visit here, if not for the peace and quiet then for the food.

Room Tip: If you like a view and your own porch the bird lovers is perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChristineB42372
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our first wedding anniversary! First of all....the food was simply delicious and creative! The hosts were very kind, soft spoken and non-intrusive. They were like pleasant, silent overseers...making sure your experience was just right! The room was spotlessly clean...no icky feeling when you look at the bathroom or bedding...LOL We loved the his and her bathrobes..plush and cozy. The room had a fireplace of which you could enjoy while relaxing in the hot tub. There were tasty treats left in our room each night. Loved that the hosts anticipated our needs. Now let me say this...I am a "towel" fan. Meaning...I enjoy quality towels. This may not be relevant to some but when one travels extensively, the little things matter. ..LOL. The kitchen where we had breakfast was classy, modern, cozy and spotless. The soft music over the intercom was calming and refreshing. You felt like you were at home...or how you wished your home was like. I highly recommend Mission Oak Inn!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SPGal
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Our thoughts and conversation have drifted back countless times to the peaceful, yet rejuvenating stay we had at the Mission Oak Inn. Denny and Jan were wonderful hosts, so warm and hospitable. The food was wonderful- from the picnic basket of meats we enjoyed for dinner to the exquisite breakfast Denny made! And the quality of the home with the beautiful mission architecture and woodwork really makes this inn stand out as something special.The peaceful environment stands in stark contrast to the busyness of life, and we so appreciated the rest and relaxation. We had such a memorable time! Thank you, Denny and Jan!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wright861
Reviewed July 24, 2011

What a surprise to find a bed and breakfast that could accommodate my husband who loves to fish and the foodie in his wife! Such an elegant treasure hidden in Henry, Illinois. This bed and breakfast was such a delight in so many ways. Almost like a sleepy Italian fishing town hidden in the Henry Illinois countryside. I would never have imagined such scrumptious food at a b and b. I have to say that this was the best dinner I have ever had at a bed and breakfast and maybe at any restaurant I have ever been to.

We were so lucky to stumble across this gem and have already booked 2 more stays in the upcoming months.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Dudesmommy11
Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you want a secluded, country attmosphere, fishing on a private lake right outside your door, gourmet breakfasts AND dinners, plus hosts that make you feel at home, yet allow you your privacy...then look no further! I'm almost reluctant to review Mission Oak Inn only because I'm afraid it will be impossible to book if word gets out! I've been to several bed & breakfasts and country inns, but this Inn goes way beyond my expectations. The meals the innkeeper provides are truly gormet and desserts are to die for! You never have to leave. Wildlife is literally right out your door as well as hiking and birdwatching. Truly, a relaxing getaway!

Room Tip: Two rooms, both with private entrances.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dramajoy
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We were on a long bicycle trip to my 50th college reunion and this was a perfect day off before the final 100+ miles. We had been very stressed by the weather and were considering canceling when Denny offered to pick us and our bikes up in Peoria (he was going in for weekly groceries) and this made all the difference. He is an excellent cook, and his wife Jan, does the books and cleaning. It works. We enjoyed their company and that of their other guests.
This is a large place with a lake, but only has accommodations for two couples or two small families so you must book ahead...it is worth it.

Room Tip: early booking
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick575

Been to Mission Oak Inn? Share your experiences!