“Got to love potato pancakes”
Review of Old Warsaw Buffet

Old Warsaw Buffet
Cuisines: Polish, Czech
Chicago
“Got to love potato pancakes”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Polish Buffet or it’s real name the Old Warsaw has amazing, old fashion, food I have been going there since I was a little kid. If you have time to stop there for dinner do it! But don't stay for dessert. I once tried there I think it's called "chocolate jelly cake" It was very dry and seemed stale. My favorite thing to get there is the cabbage roll and the Potato Pancakes! Yummy ow I get that every time those two things that what keeps me going to that restaurant. Atmosphere wise it's decent nice for birthday or special event. Price wise ok if you get the buffet very good but I have never ordered off the menu because that way you get terrible service and limited choices. I would stick with the buffet and maybe go somewhere else for a good desert, But if you’re in the mood for good Polish food please go and try the Old Warsaw Buffet.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Madeline L

• Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Disappointing SERVICE!!!!”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Old Warsaw is a Polish Buffet Style restaurant which offers a variety of Polish dishes.
Unfortunately....the service is beyond HORRIBLE!!!
Everyone who works there acts as if they are doing you a favor.
I had a very bad experience when I called to question if the recipe had changed on the dessert "PACZKI" as I had purchased some to take home -- they usually have the best around.
I was VERY RUDELY received on the telephone by the hostess, who told me she doesn't have time to listen to my nonsense and hung-up. I called back and asked WHY she hung up -- her reply, she doesn't have time for stupidity like mine. Again...HUNG UP!! When I asked for the manager's name, she HUNG UP!!
Obviously customer satisfaction is not a priority for this restaurant which has been a staple on the corner of Harlem & Lawrence for many years. It's truly a shame

Visited April 2012
3 Thank usha11
Skokie, Illinois
“Eat, eat, eat!”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This Polish buffet is one of the best dining bargains on the northwest fringe of Chicago. The somewhat over-the-top decor accented with rainbowish lighting and incongruous background music like "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" seems an appropriate setting for salads, entrees, sides and desserts weighing in at 70+ items. Weekday lunch at $9.95 includes all-you-can-eat. Beverages, tax and tip are additional.

Standouts on our most recent visit included crunchy oil & vinegar slaw spiked with fresh dill, mushroom pierogi, juicy roasted chicken, roast beef with mushrooms, smoked sausage with sauteed onions, melt-in-your-mouth potato dumplings and cheese blintzes, crispy-edged oniony potato pancakes, and ethereal apple fritters. Carved ham was do-it-yourself. Not every dish on the buffet is labeled, but the staff is happy to answer questions.

Somewhat less exciting were the dryish or mealy patés; fried chicken was a tad overcooked, and assorted cakes amounted to a sugary yawn. Though the restaurant touts their paczki, there was none during our visit.

Servers were on the ball with clearing away dishes and refilling beverages.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank FoodFight101
Chicago
“Okay Polish buffett and decent value”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The cheese blintzes are good; especially smothered in sour cream and apple sauce. The chopped steak in mushroom gravy is also good but stay away from the carving station as meat is old and dry.
Dessert selection is very good and service is efficient and friendly.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank tjtravelerChicago
Chicago 'Burbs, IL
“Service is bad!!!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I have been to the Old Warsaw buffet three times and the first two times enjoyed it for the most part. However, this third time has changed my mind so much I will not return. We went during a special holiday buffet and so the price was $10 more per person. That was okay, we agreed on that going in. However, when we were there the waitress did not bother to explain what was included in that price (Such as drinks) and we did not find out until we got the bill that all of us could have soda if we wanted to, for example. Then, the waitress completely ignored our table and did not refill our water glasses until I saw someone trying to pick up an empty plate and I asked them since 3 of 5 people at our table's glasses were empty. The servers continued to be rude throughout the meal and did not even look at our table when picking up plates and were usually in the middle of a conversation. Then, after this bad service they addd 15% gratuity to our bill even though there were only 5 people in our party. Overall, I have been to other Polish buffets in the city and have enjoyed other ones more and have experienced better service. We will not be back.

3 Thank etoiles78