“Nice clean cheap hotel perfect for Navy graduation”

Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Went to gurnee for sons graduation and it was very convinient. It was clean and staff was nice.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank clippermama
CISGurnee, Director of Sales at Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

I really thank you for choosing us as your hotel. I hope you had a grea time with the graduation and congratulations. Please do give us an oppurtunity in the future to service you better.

Director of Sales and marketing

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We booked a room with this hotel on priceline. Priceline only promises a room for 2 people, but suggests calling the hotel to request a different room. We use priceline quite frequently as we have relatives in the Chicago area. When I called to ask if we could request a different room type ( 2 beds instead of 1) the regional manager who answered the phone was less than hospitable. He was very rude once he realized I had booked with priceline. When I asked if they had a different type of room available he said no. I told him I was looking right at his website and it showed there were several available for the same dates I was staying. He argued with me and would not let me speak a word. Every time I tried to ask him a question he would get more argumentative and finally said "we don't work with priceline." When I asked why his hotel was on there he said "Priceline just picks we don't have a say in it." Really, I find that hard to believe. Why would your company work with them. A hotel does not have to participate in Priceline if they do not want to. When I would ask him a question he would mock me and say "first you wanted this, then this, now you want this...." Who talks to their customers like this. Then he wanted to argue with me about the price I got on priceline and how I should not have gotten that. For being a "Regional Manager" he had no clue how his hotel operates, why kind of rooms his hotel has, and how reservation websites work. I told him he was acting like he was mad that I used priceline. He argued that he wasn't. Really, I find that hard to believe. Most hotels are much easier to work with. This was a terrible experience and I would not expect to be spoken to like that by an employee, let alone a manager. I would never recommend this hotel to someone, nor will I ever stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank IowaGirl22
CISGurnee, Director of Sales at Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear Madam,

I apologize for the inconvenience at the hotel and also the miscommunication with our Regional Manager. Typically our Regional Manager is very hospitable, however I will speak with him regarding the same and during your next visit we can assure you a upgrad to a larger room. Since our room with two beds and sleeper sofas are priced differently we would need to request you to incur a minor rate difference.

I hope this information is helpful to you and hope you give us another chance to serve you better.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I was surprised the place was very clean and quiet. There was a nice continental breakfast downstairs where we were able to make our own heart-shaped waffles :). Staff was friendly. Room was incredibly clean. Beds were comfortable. There is also and indoor swimming pool & hot tub located on the lobby level.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

I hope you enjoyed your stay with us and the time at Sic Flags. We encourage you to come visit us and stay with us during your next visit.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed here because it was close to the Chain of Lakes State Park, it is also located convieniently right across the street from 6 Flags over Great America. The room was average sized, comfortable, clean with and outstanding free hot breakfast (the woman who kept everything stocked was extremely friendly). Newly remodeled but had some issues with the details... when we got to our room the TV did not work, I called the front desk and found this is a continuing problem and he gave me instructions on how to fix it myself (why not just solve the problem for good?), the bathroom sink stopper did not work but I carry a multi-tool in my bag and fixed it myself, the shower curtain rod was installed improperly so the curtain would not stay closed and the wall paper looked like it was installed by a 3rd grader. But overall the good things about this hotel really out-weigh the bad things.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

I hope you enjoyed your stay with us and I must thank you for pointing out all the details in the room. We will forward the same to our maintenance department and assure your next visit will be even more satisfactory.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

I booked a reservation through this hotel's own website five weeks before my stay. Three weeks later I received an email from a staff member there - " I am sorry to inform you that we will not be able to accommodate you for your stay on October 8th of 2011. Our hotel is scheduled for renovations to give our guests a more enjoyable stay. Your reservation has already been cancelled and has not been charged any fees. Again we are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.".
I found this very curious and called the hotel directly and asked if they were undergoing renovations. I was told "No", at which point I asked to speak with a manager. I explained my story to the manager who told me he would look into it and call me back. He has still not returned my call several days later. I believe that I was bumped for someone who is paying a higher rate (my AAA rate was very low), and as the hotel is fully booked now I am out of a room.
Beware of this hotel - the management is clearly lacking integrity!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank br0ckwell

Dear Sir,

I apologize for your experience. I would like you to reach me directly at the property so as I can better understand all the details and resolve this issue right away.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My mom and I stayed in mid-August. The location is great if you want to go to the Gurnee Mills Outlet or to Six Flags.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

The room was good.

Overall, it was a good stay and I would stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear Sir/Madam,

I appreciate you taking time to write this review and I hope you give us the oppurtunity to serve you better during your next visit.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I took my teenage son to Great America and Gurnee Mills for back to school shopping on an overnight stay from St. Louis. We arrived a little after noon (following a six hour drive from St. Louis) and our room was ready for us. We went to the room and it smelled profusely like smoke. I went back down to the front desk and was given another room right away. The front desk clerk informed me that the prior occupant would be charged $150 for a cleaning charge, as the room was designated as a smoke-free room.

The room we ended up getting had some wear to the carpet, but other than that, was extremely tidy and clean. The two beds were comfortable and had four pillows each, which is always a bonus to find a comfortable pillow away from home. The room also had a refrigerator, flat screen tv, desk work area, a couch and coffee table, and free wireless. The sink area is separate from the bathroom, which was nice getting ready for the day.

All staff we encountered were friendly, and the front desk couldn't have been more helpful-advising us to walk to the park instead of paying the $20 parking fee and telling us about outlet shopping 15 miles away in Wisconsin. There is a small, indoor heated pool and hot tub, but we did not use these. The breakfast area was packed and did not appeal to me whatsoever. I looked for items I could quickly grab and take to the room to enjoy, but there was nothing like that. What I saw that was offered was belgian waffles, cold and hot cereals, and assorted bread to toast. I would have enjoyed muffins and yogurt, but ended up skipping breakfast instead. Coffee, cold and hot water, and tea is available in the lobby by the front desk all day and night.

We ended up going to Great America for just five hours (crowds intense for a Monday and the heat index made for a sweltering time). We walked to the park, as suggested, a good mile or so in and out, crossing a busy intersection. By the way, the coasters and rides are crazy great at this park! After returning to the hotel, drove a couple of miles to Gurnee Mills-very easy roads to navigate-and ate at the Rainforest Cafe, shopped, then watched Captain America at the theater. The next day we decided to skip the park due to the overwhelming heat and we headed across the parking lot to Rosati's for lunch (awesome deep dish Chicago-style pizza!) and then to the Jelly Belly tour and outlets in Point Pleasant, 15 miles away. Belly flops for $9 for two pounds and an awesome selection of stores at the outlets.

This hotel was an excellent base for a great two-day trip to the area and I would definitely suggest this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Walk to Great America from this hotel!