“Ruined our trip and charged us twice”

Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked two suites for eight of us to go to a private fright night at Great America. The hotel was close and that was the only good thing. I got prepaid rooms to save some money cause the two rooms were costing us $491.80 with breakfast for the 8 of us. I asked for early check-in and rooms next to each other if possible and I was told no problem we can get you adjoining rooms. I even asked the lady if suites had adjoining rms cause it seemed odd to me and she said oh yes we do. So we get there at 2:30pm and they check us into one room but the other room isnt ready and they will call us in about 1/2 hr or so when its ready. No Call so at 3:15 I go down to see if the rm is ready and there is a huge line to check in. I went to the front and asked if they forgot to call us and was told no they will be right with us. SO I wait for the line to go down and ask again about 3:45 and I am told that we wont have a room now till 4:30 or after. (of course not they just gave it to these other people that were in line) WHAT??? are you kidding me and I ask if they will be adjoining and big surprise she says we dont have adjoining suites. WOW now they say we cant even be on the same floor. So I said in a very irritated voice I have 6 kids and two adults we need to leave here by 4pm to get to our event and we need to be at least on the same floor. SO of course I wait there and wait till 4:30 now late for the whole reason we came. Upsetting me my husband and kids wondering why I just spent all this money and tried to have a nice lil get away with my family. SO at 4:45 we are finally in both rooms and ready to go. We get back from Great America around midnight go to shower and there are earwigs in the bathroom. My son found one in the kitchenette area ewe then in the other suite my husband found red mites and black short hairs in the bed. The trip was so unpleasant because of this hotel. We go home and the next day I go to make my house payment and realize the hotel charged me twice. Once with the pay in advance deal and then again when I checked in to rm one and again when I checked into rm two. I asked when they said they needed my credit card that they not charge me cause I paid in advance and I was told oh no we wont its just a hold for damages to the room. What ever now I call and they might be able to get me my money back in a few days but not sure I am now waiting for accounting to call me back. This place in the worst ever.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank gbpackersfan
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of the hotel I do apologize for your experience. I know that our Director of Rooms has already been in contact with you to address your issues.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

First, I want to recognize an excellent employee who made the difference during my stay. Her name is Janette and she works at the restaurant on morning shifts. She is an excellent employee with a great sense of customer service. She always make sure that your time at the restaurant is pleasant and that everything you order is correct.

Janette...keep up the good work!

Front desk employees are very cordial and friendly.

Rooms are very clean as well as the rest of the facilities. This reflects the quality of the employees and managers.

If you are in a business trip or for pleasure...this is the right place to stay!

Thank you all for make in me feel like home.

Valentin Cruz
Miami, FL

Room Tip: All rooms are awesome.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Valentine C
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to recognize Janette from the restaurant as well as the cleanliness of the hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a whole long week to attend business meeting. Its location suit me the best to be close to my venue of meeting. I could also enjoy Six Flags and shoppings at Gurnee Mall and Walmart. Hotel provides free pick u p and drop facility to all these places and the cchaufers are really very freindly polite and helpful. Overall staff behaviour at front desk and housekeeping is also noticebly impressive. Only improvement is needed in the breakfoast choices as these are limited and same over all days. I had got frusteted of same offering and the hotel should take this as a feedback for improvement. Rooms are good, clean and peaceful. there are ample parking spaces available.

Room Tip: I would not suggest for having breakfast within hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sinha_ravi

Thank you for your comments. Yes, we have a great location and are just off the highway. I will discuss with Chef your observation on breakfast selection.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Perfect hotel for our Six Flags weekend trip. The price was right, the rooms were updated and clean. The beds were comfortable and the location was great. Le Mar at the front desk was very accommodating and friendly as were the shuttle drivers to and from Six Flags which was a great added benefit. The shuttle didn't have to sit in traffic at the end of the night like everyone else who had to pay for parking. The only downside to the hotel was no free breakfast and the breakfast buffet at the restaurant we paid for wasn't very good. The food looked better than it tasted. However, the restaurant staff was super friendly so that made up for the food quality. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dawnshelle W
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently had the opportunity to attend our granddaughter's graduation from the Great Lakes Naval Training Center and chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center and we certainly were not disappointed! If I could give this hotel a 10 star rating I would! The staff was so friendly and helpful and they bent over backwards to make our stay a pleasant one. Especially Lamar at the front desk. Always a smile on his face, a kind word and anything he could do to make us more comfortable. And Patricia helped our daughter out of a pickle also. The prices are very comparable to any other hotel but the hotel was beautiful, the rooms were extremely clean and fresh and the restaurant was awesome. You won't be disappointed. We will stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nebraskafoxy
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Holiday Inn in Gurnee is a good value and located close to Gurnee Mills Mall and Six Flags. I was traveling on business and this place was priced reasonably compared to other properties in the area. The rooms are on the smaller side but big enough for me. Even though this is an older property the rooms are new and fresh. The young lady who checked us in was very nice and helpful. I will stay again when in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DAA67
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Called the night before and booked for 1 night with 2 kids. Checked in early, but had to wait about 45min-hour for room. Had lunch and by the time we finished, room was ready. Shuttle driver was getting off, but took extra time to drive us to Six Flag with info about other places to visit or dine. Very friendly. Staff very friendly. Rooms and beds are very nice and comfy. Love the bedding and plush pillows. Plenty of nice big fluffy white towels. Trouble getting shuttle back from park at night (driver had forewarned), but brought it to the staff's attention at check-out. She apologized and gave me extra reward points. The hotel is big with several entrances, easy to get turned around. I really enjoyed the stay. Good food too!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family