“First timers!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Went here during a pit-stop in Gurnee on 4th of July. We went in the evening and it wasn't really busy. Only a few tables of people. The atmosphere was really chill and fun.

Although pricey, we couldn't have been happier! My husband and I split the Sampler platter for an appetizer, it was reccommended by our server. We really liked it! The crab dip and the tortilla chips were superb. Warm, huge flakes of real crab, cheesy, and amazing! The fried calamari was top notch, the batter they used was nothing like I've tasted before but I liked it. It wasn't too greasy at all. Their "Great Balls of Fire" are their twist on jalapeno poppers. Small chunks of jalapenos, gooey cream cheese, and pieces of seafood all battered and fried. They weren't spicy at all but they were good!

I ordered the Arctic Bay Steampot (seasoned with Old Bay spices) and my husband got the KJ Steampot (steamed in KJ beer or wine?). We waited a long time for them but both were very good. The wait time for the steampots was about 30-40 minutes, and this was when they WEREN'T busy so we could imagine it'd be worse when they were dealing with a full dining room. It was completely worth it though, our seafood was perfectly cooked as well as the corn and potatoes. My husband said his scallops and mussels were some of the freshest he's had. We both really enjoyed the crab legs and my Arctic Bay steampot came with a whole lobster. We had fun crackin open the crab legs and lobster. Definitely worth all the work.

For dessert, we ordered the Campfire S'mores and it was amazing! Warm chocolate cake sandwiched between graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate bars. Yum! We would definitely go back!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Friendly staff,good food,nice environment...The prices of course are high because your getting a huge crab or lobster..

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Joe's is a fun atmosphere with pretty good food considering they offer so many items. They also have many drinks to chose from including some with fake shark gummies in them. Joe's has a few great appetizers and many seafood and non seafood items to chose from. I recommend the cheese sticks which everyone typically loves. The crab cakes are also very good as well as key lime pie for dessert.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

The service was wonderful...food was great....fast service

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I used to love the Shack with it's fun atmosphere and yummy crab. We've been going here for years, it's was our go-to spot for special occasions. However over the last 2 years it's really lost it's shine. Not only have they removed some of my favorites from the menu like their yummy house-italian dressing salad, but the last 2 times we went here my snow crab was low quality and pretty gross. My steam pot came with several broken legs, and nearly every piece of crab had gross green slimy stuff at the ends - I didn't even know it was possible for crab to have green slimy stuff in it and I've been eating snow crab for 20 years, it's my favorite meal. The first time I thought it was a fluke, so a couple months later we tried it again, and again I got snow crab with bitter green slimy stuff in it and broken legs. I'm not likely to venture here again. I'll be crabbing it somewhere else from now on.