“great food even for non-sushi options”

Hayashi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 152 Restaurants in Gurnee
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I stopped by last night, not knowing what to expect as neither one of us is a sushi-lover. We asked for recommendations and the server came back with some of the best rolls I have tasted. These were crunchy, with shrimp and avocado. For our main meal we had Tempura with chicken or with steak. The tempura pieces were large and tasty, with a very light breading. The food was good, although the steak could have been a bit warmer.
The sitting area is small and to some people could feel too crowded. Plan to visit early or late if this could be a problem for you.
At Hayashi, you will have a good or even great meal, although this is not the place for a romantic dinner.

Date of visit: August 2013
2  Thank Luis T

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We go the Hayashi once a week for our "know it's going to be good" dinner. We try steakhouses, Italian restaurants, seafood restaurants, but Hayashi is where we know we'll always get a great meal and good service. Good variety, creative and high quality. You can't go wrong if you like sushi.

Date of visit: July 2013
2  Thank Vic1955
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My fiance loves his sushi. Me, not so much. So we are always on the lookout for places that offer cooked options for me. Hayashi did not disappoint. Their tempura was fabulous -- breading was lighter than most I've had, kind of coconut style. Their sushi menu is huge, with lots of options, and they offer some great samplers. Waitstaff is a little wooden, but that may just be culture differences. Small place, so go early or late if you want a nice seat without being crowded.

Date of visit: February 2013
1  Thank dkp213
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Hayashi might be a small out of the way restaurant but the sushi is outstanding. The service was good and the sushi was very good....I will be going back there again.

Date of visit: February 2013
1  Thank JimP572
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have enjoyed sushi all over the country, but this is the best. My favorites are the red flower roll (spicy), the dragon roll, spicy salmon, -really anything that you order will be fantastic.

Date of visit: November 2012