“Birthday dinner”

Lake Zurich, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had a great dinner for my birthday dinner with my friend there. She lives in Gurnee and has been there several times before, each time she was pleased with the service, food, drinks and the wait staff.

My dinner was very good, and the live music that evening was a welcomed surprise. I would return to Bodega'a for other dinners and parties.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth R

chicago
“Family event ”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Had my daughters christening lunch here in april in a private room for a group of 50 people. Staff was very friendly and helpful. great food for affordable price. We choose family style over plated. The event mgr was very willing to work with us on menu as well as price and was helpful and friendly. They also gave me a "tasting " to decide what I wanted to have on the menu. My only complaint is that the AC was not working well and it was very uncomfortably warm and the lighting was very dim. They let us bring in our own cake and desserts. Overall, good experience.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“The best food and service I have ever received”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I were passing through on our way back to Wisconsin. We were looking for a nice restaurant to stop at in the Gurnee area. I can honestly say that this was one of the best meals and best service I have ever received. Everything was perfect. I was especially impressed with the service. Not once did my water glass empty due to very attentive employees. After we finished our meal and went to leave, we saw one of the employees who filled our water glasses was done with his shift and changed into jeans talking to another employee close to the door. When he saw us he stopped his conversation, hurried to open the door for us, and told us to have a great night. I was very impressed that he did that for us off the clock. The atmosphere was intimate and cozy. You have to try Bodega! I wish it was closer to home!

• Visited May 2014
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Out of beer on a Saturday night”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I live in the neighborhood, and have seen this venue change ownership many times. We've tried each "new" restaurant to occupy this site, but have usually been disappointed. Bodega was no exception.
We made reservations for a Saturday evening at 7:00. When we arrived, there was only one other table with customers. There were a couple of people at the bar. This was not starting well.
We were seated right away and given menus, but it was several minutes before our waitress showed up. We asked her for information regarding the individual beers on the list of craft beers, but she knew nothing about them. She called over the man she said was the "beer expert", but he didn't know any more than she did. Without knowing what type of beer we were ordering, we went ahead and requested two of the craft beers. The waitress returned after a few minutes to tell us that they were out of one of the beers we had ordered, so we ordered a different one. After another few minutes, we were told they were out of that one too. OK, forget the craft beers, just bring me a Miller Lite. Sorry, out of that too. At this point the manager came over to apologize for not having the beers we wanted, but claimed it was due to a big turn out they had the night before for a Bears preseason game. Apparently, they didn't think they might need more beer for Saturday night!?! So, anyway, we tell the manager that we'll take a Coors Light, and if they didn't have that we were leaving. Well, guess what? They were out of Coors, too, so we left.
What kind of a restaurant doesn't have a variety of beers available on a Saturday? Not even the most popular brands!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jeff H
IL, USA
“Likely won't go back”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were hopeful this would be a good place when it opened a few months ago. Unfortunately it continues to disappoint. The bartenders are generally clueless even when it comes to making a classic cocktail, and the one bartender who actually does know how to make cocktails can be a bit overbearing and annoying. The food is mediocre at best. The first time we went, the polenta fries were burned. After staying away for a few months we back the other night because friends had said the food quality was better. It wasn't. My Shrimp de Jongh was just ok. I doubt we'll go back.

• Visited July 2013