“Had a good time!”

Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Gurnee
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This amusement park, located halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee, has over 100 rides and attractions.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

After all the reviews, I took my teenage grandkids, but was organized ahead of time. I bought the tickets online for a weekday visit, and bought the parking pass then also, so as not to wait in any line upon arriving at the 10:30 a.m. opening time. I had bought a soft-sided cooler which was in my trunk full of soda and ice, and I stopped at the Subway shop just before entering Six Flags (around 10:00 a.m.), and bought the kids subs, and myself a salad, which went in the cooler for our lunches at 1:00 p.m. in the parking lot. There were about six rides that some travelers on here had mentioned had had the longest lines unless you go early, so I had those listed for my grandkids. (I don't do those rides, but I did do the teacup). It worked like a charm. We breezed right in. The park was in great shape. We had our bathing suits under our clothes. The kids and I went right to the rides they wanted to go on, and I followed along so they could get on around six or seven rides, maybe eight of the large coaster rides. They were thrilled, and had a great time! We had lunch, then headed to the water park section for a relaxing afternoon, and some additional rides there until they were ready to leave. I think we had a very enjoyable experience at the park, but I do believe that the pre-planning contributed to our fun and definitely helped cut down on expenses ~

1  Thank wkgal
There are newer reviews for Six Flags Great America

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The things I liked was that it was very clean and the staff were pretty friendly. I got the tickets oniline and they were A LOT cheaper. What I didn't like is how crowded it was. By early afternoon the place was packed and there was over an hour wait for pretty much every ride. SInce there is not a hotel on the propery (like Cedar Pointe) to walk to and take a break, we ended up leaving early because the lines were so long. It is also very expensive. I probably wouldn't return because Cedar Pointe is much better in my opinion.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Well, so Six Flags Great America is a great theme park with amazing rides for everyone. I like best the rides, even though I'm terrified, but the water park is ok. I liked it, but I think personally my family spent way too much in it, which caused me to get sunburn. You are definitely going to need, walking shoes, extra clothes (for the water park) (bathing suit, for the water park) and some sunscreen. It's an all day event so make sure you get enough sleep, and have a great time. (:

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Don't go here during August on Bring a friend free days! The park is understaffed, overcrowded, and they don't' even keep enough staff to keep the water park open, so everyone is crammed in the theme park area, it took 30 minutes in line just to get a drink of water! Rode 4 rides in 6 hours, and stood hot and thirsty the rest of the day, what a waste of time/money!

3  Thank Robin S
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Waited in line for over an hour for the Xflight roller coaster and it broke. Waited in line for over an hour for the Demon roller coaster and it broke. Wanted a refund for our 2 hours of wasted time but was told they could only offer us return tickets. Told them that we would not be returning to the park and they stated they could not help us. Every other major ride had a line for over an hour. We spent 9 hours at the park and rode six rides, what a waste. Everything in the park was overpriced and low quality. The entire water park was shut down. Workers are friendly and the park was clean, the only two positives.

1  Thank Chris O