“Had Fun during Fright Fest”

Six Flags Great America
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Gurnee
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This amusement park, located halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee, has over 100 rides and attractions.
Cherry Valley IL
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Had Fun during Fright Fest”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My wife and I went to Fright Fest on Oct 22nd. Be ready to spend a little cash but that comes with any attraction of this sort. I don't like the lines so we bought the Platinum Flash Passes. Here is the deal with the flash passes. There are three levels, regular, gold and platinum. Each gives you different levels of wait times. The regular doesn't save you anytime at all but you don't have to wait in the huge line. If the wait for Raging Bull is 2 hours, you reserve your time and then show up when it is time and you get a short line to stand it before you can ride. If the place is super busy like it was on the 22nd, you won't get to ride any more rides than if you didn't purchase the pass but you don't have to spend the whole day in line.

The gold is what I would pick next time. You get considerably less wait time. It is $100 for two people. You get to reserve your time for a ride but it is much less than the normal line wait. When your time is ready you go to the flash pass line and you get a short wait. On an extremely busy day, you have to still wait a bit since they do sell a fair share of flash passes. The day we went, the flash passes sold out. We waited about 30 minutes for the Raging Bull, not bad when you compare it to two hours. Tip: as soon as they scan your Q-bot at the ride, reserve your next ride so the time passes while you wait a little bit. Then you can walk to the next ride and get right in another flash pass line.

The platinum gets you the shortest wait and allows you to ride twice in a row without getting off of the car. Except for V2 the day we went. People in line don't like it when you don't get off and they have to wait for another car. Oh well!!!! We had mixed emotions about this. When we first got to the park and lines were short, we got to ride quite a bit. We rode Raging Bull twice in a row and then Batman twice within 10 minutes. My wife and I were both really dizzy after this and had to wait a little bit before we rode again. If you can hack riding over and over again, go for the platinum. The platinum also lets you reserve a new reservation within minutes of them scanning your Q-bot. This is great when the park isn't busy but loses the perk the more busy the park gets. We went on one of the busiest days of the year and if we did everything perfect, we could have ridden at least 3-5 times the rides as normal. If the part was not busy, we could have ridden 6-8 times the rides as normal. That is if you can handle it. Platinum for two will cost $160.

Fright fest was good, the costumes of the park staff were really good. I was impressed. The food selection wasn't the greatest unless you love chicken fingers. I expected a better selection. Since you can go out to your car as much as you want, we recommend packing a cooler eating your food instead of the parks.

11 Thank markmoose1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fright Fest was a bust!”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Hear I was all excited about going to Fright Fest for the 1st time. I've been to six flags, but the thought of it being spooky was exciting for me. The hours was 11am-11pm, but they failed to inform you the monsters don't come out until about 4pm. As the day went on the place got more and more packed, it was at least a 2 hour wait for a ride. We ended up spending the extra $160 for the speed pass, and even then we were waiting in line. There were hardly any monsters once 4pm came around, there was only one real guy who tried to scare you and the rest just sort of where there. Over all not as frightening or lived up to my expectations.... I'll just stick to the regular days for the rides.

1 Thank sweetpastry89
Trevor, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great amusement park”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I've lived in the area my whole life so Great America is not like Disney World to me. Heck, I even worked there back when I was 15 years old. This is a place for all ages. Different rides for for different ago groups. Games, food, shows. Sept-Nov they have Fright fest. Where gouls walk arounds and the place is decorated like a scary movie. hauunted houses and haunted shows.

Visited May 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fun but crowded!”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

The show "love at first Fright" was very well done. Excellent singing and choreography was fun to watch. Rides were packed as it was Fright Fest. The most fun was people watching as the park had zombies and frightening characters walking around frightening people. Definitely for the 10 and over crowd at night!

Wisconsin
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“I love Great America but Frightfest was awful”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

7 of us went Friday Oct 7 & Saturday Oct 8. Friday wasn't bad, we got on 4 rides in about 5 hours. Saturday was terrible. The wait for Dark Knight was 4 hours, Superman was just under 3 hours. In 10 hours at the park, we got on 3 rides. Supposedly there is a max for people allowed in the park, if that is the case it is way to high. I will say this, the weather was absolutely beautiful, which I'm sure brought a lot more people.

5 Thank dollarbay