“Thank you!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenup
Canada
“Thank you!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

While being stranded on the highway during a horrible ice/snow storm (I was not the only one), picked up by patrol car and taken to Greenup Inn..I was greeted by a very woman who was the managers wife. She told me pipes have been frozen, there is no heat and the sheets are not clean. I believe I was still in shock after sliding all over the highway, spinning around for a bit and being deposited in the middle of !-70. I just looked at her and said..you want me to pay $70 for a room with no heat, dirty sheets and pipes frozen? Her husband came in and said the pipes were unfrozen and water should be working now. He showed me the room and I stayed. It was COLD!
None of this was the fault of the managers. They had placed a space heater in the room to try and take the bitter cold out. If you sat right next to it you could stay a warm. Leave that space heater and brrrrrrrrr. The water did not seem to want to warm up that day, and taking a shower was a very short one. By the third morning I was able to take a shower with warm water. Yes, I was still stranded, as state patrol had put ban on tow trucks to be on the very unsafe highway. It was a mess.

The managers were very friendly and the second day clean sheets appeared. The first night I turned the sheets inside out and remade the bed. Second day managers wife brought the sheets to the door and we happily exchanged dirty for cleans. I made both the beds and tidied up the room. She also brought in toilet paper and soap. The winter storm I'm sure, with all the mess, pipes frozen, no heat in rooms, etc...had messed up their regular schedule of cleaning rooms, etc. They were working as hard as they could to make everyone as comfortable as possible.

The heat came on the third evening of being stranded. Yay!! Next morning taking a warm shower was not so bad. :)

This was an old hotel, clean rooms and very friendly managers who went out of to make everyone as comfortable as possible. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank makerofdreams1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Beloit, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

You have to appreciate people who take old school motels and give those old buildings new life. The managers were very friendly and helpful - when we had problems with the air conditioner, the manager was there right away to fix it. The rooms were clean an comfortable. And the room rates were great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Joyce M
rogers , arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were headed home and needed a place for the night, at first glance the outside was very old school swings in the front for the children and ceramic tile on the outside walls of the rooms. We requested a walk through of the room and was pleasantly surprised, room was clean and comfortable. It was not fancy, but the manager was very friendly and the cost was less then $50.00 including the taxes for 2 beds. We would do it again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kcakouros
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Unfortunately, the bed at this place ruined the night for me. My family and I stayed in a room with two beds. Each bed had a plastic sheet underneath the fitted sheet. Sleeping on this was very uncomfortable, as any movement caused the plastic to make noises. Who can sleep on plastic? I considered removing the plastic sheet but then questioned why it was there in the first place. Was it there to protect the mattress from me, or me from the mattress? Why would the mattresses need a plastic sheet, what was on them? That thought kept me from removing it. We did not have any young children traveling with us.

Aside from the bed issue, there was an unpleasant odor in the room. I eventually got used to it, but my teen had a harder time with it.

Although I had read that some rooms were remodeled with wood floors, ours was not. It still had carpet. The room looked clean. The only place I noticed that needed more attention was behind the bathroom door. The bathroom is small, and it was obvious that getting a vacuum behind the door was difficult and had not been cleaned recently. The bathroom also does not have any ventilation other than a window, and mildew spots were visible on the ceiling.

The inn is located next to railroad tracks. Although I was awoken by a train at 3 a.m., my family slept through it.

The staff we met were very courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled unit.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mom-trip-planner
burgaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

While out visiting family in Newton, needed a room for the night, did not really want to travel to Effingham Super 8 ( they allow pets), my brother had searched this place and said it looked good andwas cheap. Me being real picky was very nervous about the condition of the hotel for $40.00. When got into parking lot, I said to my wife hell no! Spoke with manager, looked at room, agreed to take the room for the night. The room was fine and very clean, I was very surprised that I found a room for that price that was okay. I will definatly stay here again when visiting family in area agian this summer!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank edward b
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

This was a great find for the money. Or only complaint was there were small dead bugs (about) 40 in the bathtub, bathroom floor and in the toilet. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Carla S
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I'm usually not one to leave reviews, but in this case, I felt I needed to highlight the manager's over the top service. We drove through this small town of Greenup at around 1am on our way back home. Tired and exhausted, we decided to get a room. We tried another motel first, the front desk was obviously uninterested in working at that hour. The room they gave us had a musky odor and AC didn't work and we got attitude when we called about it. We decide to leave and find another place. Just down the road we saw Greenup Inn. We obviously woke the manager up, but much to our surprise, he was extremely helpful, checked us in and directed us to our room. I have to say the exterior may not be much to look at but the rooms were really nice for a small town motel.

However, what happens next made me a customer for life. Our 3 month old baby was colicky and my husband had to get some sleep so I stepped outside the room at 2am to calm the baby down and not disturb my husband. The manager heard the baby crying, noticed I was outside; he immediately opened the office, invited me in and offered the place to me as long as I needed, even made me some tea from his own kitchen. He stayed up with me for the next 2 hours until my baby fell asleep. Is this small town hospitality or just good people that go over and beyond?? Whatever is it, I'll be staying at Greenup Inn every time I make this trip, which is 3x a year!

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenup
Days Inn & Suites Casey
Quality Inn
#8 of 19 in Effingham
Lexington Inn & Suites Effingham
Baymont Inn & Suites Mattoon

Been to Greenup Inn? Share your experiences!