2,792 results
All reviews gelato fish tacos old quarry play golf rented a car beautiful property sushi all inclusive package all inclusive plan service charge tennis courts pool bar street signs swimming area explore the island minute drive day pass
Reviewed July 6, 2014

There are two ways to view this hotel and neither version is wrong. However, depending on the version that you are, this hotel may not be the best place to stay in Curacao. I will explain the reasons below.

THE HOTEL: The hotel is a nice place. It is clean is the staff and very friendly. In addition, it seats near a beach and has two pools. However, the beach is not your typical beach. If you prefer a beach with waves, this is not that location. The water is pretty calm. Also, for some reason the beach goes into the deep end about 30 feet from shore. This appears to be a man-made thing, due to the fact that they had to install a small boardwalk from the hotel to the Mariana. It is not a typical design of natural untouched beach. But all in all, the hotel is nice place and the staff are nice.
THE PRICE: Please be on notice that everything at the hotel is relatively expensive. I know that expensive is subjective term, but we all know its natural definition. By expensive I mean when you compare to other locations. The food a hotel is somewhat pricey. In addition, it was a simple things and nothing to increase your experience. There are no local cuisines to taste. I was disappointed about this factor. What makes it really hard to go anywhere else is the location.

THE LOCATION: The hotel is somewhat remotely located on the island. I failed to realized this when I booked the place. The average taxi to the city was about $40 each way and about $60 at night. So that’s, $80 dollars round trip for the afternoon. I’m sure one can find better things to do with $80 dollars. The location also makes it hard to try local restaurants and entertainment because there are none around the area. You can also rent a car instead of taking a taxi. The cost to rent a vehicle was about $60 per day. Renting a car is certainly an adventure because some of the streets are not named and some streets are not well lit. In order to experience Curacao, you have to live the hotel. Nothing happens near this hotel. I’m not exaggerating when I say that the security point entrance and to the main hotel is about 2 miles. I think they truly set out to make this remote for a reason.

This hotel is the best place for someone that never plans to leave the hotel and does not care to experience what the island has to offer. In addition, you don’t care to taste local food or experience the local night life. If you wish stay in the hotel all day, lay around, and eat food you already know, this is by far the best location. However, if you looking for the opposite you will need to find a hotel more into the city. On several occasions, even the taxi drivers told us that the hotel is just too far for most people that want to experience the island.

Aside from the prettiness, nothing really stood for me for this location. I do agree with other post that you can find better deal elsewhere. If you factor the food cost and the taxi price, you may as well as add another $50 per night to find another location closer to town. I truly love Curacao and can't wait to be back. After making friends with some the locals, I know now the best places to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Paulo D
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Paulo D,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am so disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay. We have many guests that rent a car to explore the island (which I highly recommend) and love to come back to the peace and serenity of the resort. We are surrounded by nothing but water, sky and mountains. There are no parking lot views from your room here!

There are some great local artisans about 15 minutes away from the resort including Serena's Chi Chi factory where island women hand paint chi chi dolls and an aloe vera farm where we source all of our shower products. There is so much to explore on the island and we love to help our guests create a custom itinerary whether that is relaxing around the resort or finding local treasures.

I hope that you can return to the island soon and explore the great things the island has to offer!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The location is just gorgeous which was made even better by the incredible landscaping and architecture of the resort. Staff go above and beyond... Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable--you couldnt ask for more. It was truly a magical experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you dont skip breakfast, as it was delicious-- and the choices are much greater than for other meals. The open-jeep tour is a must, as well as the meditation trail which has spectacular views! However, the trip into Willemstedt could have been missed... NO local crafts, no island breezes, & frankly, it is filthy. Lastly, renting a cart to simply drive the golf course for the views is something we wished we had done. It is gorgeous.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff J

Dear Jeff J,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed the meditation hike. It is one of my favorites with the great views along with the caves that you can explore.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon for another magical experience.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is the second time staying at the Santa Barbara Beach & Golf resort. The property needs some updating in the rooms, but the grounds are still impeccable.

Great pool, great beach, affordable room service.

This hotel is excellent for honeymooners or anyone seeking a relaxing vacation.

We wish to compliment Xiandra of the front office who assisted us through the reservation process and was extremely helpful and efficient during our stay. The overall service at this hotel is excellent, but Xiandra was superb.

We will keep returning!

Room Tip: Ask for a Premier Water View room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Myrouck

Dear Myrouck,

It's always great to host our island friends and family. Thank for for staying with us! Thank you for recognizing Xiandra! I can't wait to give her a shout out at our next employee meeting.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

It is a good resort but for the price we can find better options much closer to downtown, like Marriott Resort and many others. Cleanness is not the strong part of the hotel team, the rooms were badly cleaned, just make beds and change towels! Food is OK but nothing special. The staff is cordial, but do not exceed expectations! I do not recommend and probably will not come back! Do NOT use the Ocean Encounters diving service at this facility! They charge you but do not give the service! The worst is that I've paid for a Full water view King room and receive a partial water view. The breakfast is rally bad, just a few options and no taste at all! The attendants are very friendly, mainly the reception lady!

Room Tip: I paid for a KING FULL view and receive a partial view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank J M

Dear J M,

Thank you for your review. We take feedback from the Trip Advisor community very seriously. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. It sounds like you had an issue with your room. Please, I urge you and all guests, if you have any problems while at the hotel, please call the front desk and let us fix it. If you weren't happy with your room, we would have been happy to move you to another room.

Again, I apologize for your experience and hope that you would be open to try us again on your next visit.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed June 26, 2014

When I arrived my room wasn't ready but Xiandra took excelent care of allowing me to freshen up in another room till it was set up. The best part of my stay was the treament from a great and friendly, accomidating staff. Breakfast greetings and service from sweet Sherrett always started us off on a good foot for the morning. Then while at Splash Rolly was funny and great with making some awsome drinks. When leaving Roduff, Lordenz assitised on all travel information and where to go, which was very helpful going into town. My birthday dinner at Shore was a great surprise and Sander was excellent, not only because he's the manager but because he took it upon himself to personnally take care of my table. I had such a blast that I plan on returning with friends and family especially after Ilona Faas and John said they'd make sure the stay will be a even better one. I'm happy we choose Santa Barbra Resort because it was the place place on the island !!!

Room Tip: The rooms are great we had aocean view, with everything we needed and more.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luckyprince

Dear Ed C,

Happy Belated Birthday! I am so excited that we could help you make it a very memorable birthday!! Thank you for recognizing so many staff members. I love to recognize the people who receive shout outs for great service!!

I hope that we can help you celebrate many more birthdays in the future!