“Cuban!!!”

Congri Cuban Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 65 Restaurants in Grayslake
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Description: Congri, a taste of Cuba in the Northwest suburbs, is a family owned restaurant that offers a wide variety of traditional dishes. It offers homemade dishes in a family oriented environment.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Let me say that after moving to the round lake area, I missed having easy access to Cuban/Puerto Rican food like I use to in the city. So, when I first saw Congri, I was excited. I went there with the family and everybody enjoyed their food. I ordered the congri and it was good, I only wish I had a larger portion. The pressed sandwiches were tasty and I was told their flan was good. I think next time, I'll go by myself and explore the menu a bit more. Overall, it's worth a stop if you are craving Cuban food and don't want to drive to the city.

1  Thank trackstar1977

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I went there today with my little girl, and the food was good and the owners were very nice. We received great service and it felt just like home. We will be visiting again.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Both my wife and I were born and raised in Puerto Rico, enjoying the taste of Caribbean food daily. We visited Congri and can say this feels just like home. The Ropa Vieja is very tasty, even a little bit sweet. I'm not a fan of Congri rice, but here it was very enjoyable. We also had the steak guantanamo, a thin slice of steak with a slight sweet flavor that comes from the onions. For appetizer we had croquetas and relleno de papa. The croquetas and relleno were just like I like them, a little on the crunchier side, with enough meat on the inside, but not where the meat overpowers the potato. Their cuban coffee (an espresso shot with a bit of sugar) was well made. The guava pastry was delicious and I'm planning to go back to get some freshly baked ones, as they bake them through the day, but by the time we got there, it was almost closing time.
The decor is simple and the restaurant is small, but the food is very authentic, and the staff/owners are very friendly.

2  Thank Luis T
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I tried out this restaurant with my family for lunch. We have been to many Cuban restaurants in the Tampa, FL area and always enjoyed the food so decided to give this place a try. The food was fine, but the servings were minimal compared to our other experiences. The Cuban sandwich was just a sandwich on a plate - no garnish, no side. It was certainly not enough for my adult son, although the size was okay for me.
Service was adequate- no hovering! However, they never refilled our water glasses or asked about our food once it was served. My mom had the pork sandwich and said it was bland. I had the ham and cheese sandwich and it was acceptable, but not really anything different than I could make at home on my griddle.
Don't rush out to visit this place, but don't be afraid to try it. Just don't set your sights too high!

1  Thank Ramekin
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was born and raised in Santurce, Puerto Rico and living way out in the suburbs of Chicago, makes it very hard for me to find good (Comida Criolla). That good Caribbean food that my mother and my grandmother would make for me, when I was growing up.

That's why when I heard about "Congri" I came running! And let me tell you; from the very first bite I knew I had found the real deal! That lady (Isa) in that kitchen (Cosina con sabor!) she puts flavor in her food. I left the restaurant that afternoon with a big smile on my face and a sense of well being in my tummy, I guess that's where they get the term "Comfort Food"
Can't wait to come back and treat my family to some excellent Caribbean cuisine. :)

2  Thank Ruben M