“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayslake
New Castle, Pennsylvania
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I were in town for a graduation at Great Lakes Naval Station. This hotel is a short drive (about 10 minutes) from the base and is in a great location. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was wonderful. We stayed for 5 nights and had a great time. They even offer discounts for the room if you are there for Navy Graduation . Overall we had NO issues with this hotel. Would highly recommend for anyone looking for a great place to stay with easy highway access, lots of restaurants nearby and a close proximity to the train into Chicago.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor with two queen beds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

In all the years I've been traveling (over 25 years), I've never been treated more arrogantly and rudely than by "Dawn" at this hotel. Seriously, the woman made faces when you asked a question and even made sarcastic comments. She made fun of the fact that her boss was not there the evening we checked in so she could wear casual clothes rather than a uniform...older woman in short, shorts and a sleeveless shirt with lots of bruises on her arms...every customer would have preferred a uniform! Myself and another family member checked in for two nights and two rooms and I was given room 301 while the other person got the room across the hall. We were both charged for a King room but mine was a fraction of the size of the other room and no tub in my room - only a shower. In the morning I asked the daytime desk manager (MUCH more conversant and accommodating than Dawn) if I should have a lower rate for that room. She told me all of the "01" rooms were corner, smaller rooms but they charge the same rate as the bigger rooms when they are totally full. She did however, reduce my room rate by $20/night since she acknowledged the size difference. This is a nice, newer hotel and everything about the hotel was good except for Dawn's attitude. The manager at the desk is the first impression for the customer and this hotel needs to get a clue that it matters! This is the "Hospitality" industry and Dawn was certainly not hospitable!!

Room Tip: Do not pay for a King room and get the "01" corner rooms!!
1 Thank sightseer29
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hi sightseer29

Thank you for posting your feedback about the hotel! I am glad your stay went well besides your experience with a specific front desk agent.

Please contact me at comfortgrayslake_gm@hp-hotels.com to discuss how to make this issue right for you.
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Me, my husband and my family planned this hotel months of advance. When we should up late that night, the lady at the front desk was very helpful, on giving us direction to their hotel. When we showed up I was blown away by the size of the room and my kids were more interested in the arcade room and the breakfast buffet and how the hotel provided floaters for them to go swimming. We had a great stay here, the beds were very comfortable and after a 3hour flight I was pretty tired, I enjoyed the 2 night at this hotel, we did wanted to stay the other 2nights but my family wanted to stay downtown Chicago. this hotel is very neat and clean, rooms are very large. Beds are so comfortable, breakfast was excellent, customer service attitude is wonderful very friendly hotel and staffs, house keepers were also nice, I would stay here again and I very highly recommend this place. the only down fall to the hotel was the enterance.

Room Tip: any room is great
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

First off, we were not greeted very nicely when we checked in.
In fact, we were told twice about how we were underpaying what we should have been paying because I booked through Priceline. Isn't that the point of Priceline? I have used Priceline for years and have never been treated this way ever at any other hotel.
We had three adults in a room with two Queens and a sleeper sofa. I was told we should have been paying more. No one cared that there was a whole baseball team staying there too and they had 6 and 7 people to a room! The rooms sleep 6, isn't that the idea of a suite? I am sure they weren't treated rudely when they checked in!
Anyway, along with that --our shower had a very annoying high pitched squeal. When we told the front desk, we were told they have no maintenance staff on duty on the weekends there. That was made more obvious when a man on our floor was in the elevator with us and was given a plunger when he told the staff his toilet was overflowing in his room.
The signage is horrible and the hotel entrance is very hard to find.
You would do better staying in Gurnee which is right down the road.
Definitely would not recommend the hotel to others and will not stay here when I come back next year.

Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent 1 night at start of US trip then booked for a further 8 nights at the end. Really impressed by the welcome we got and by the size and facilities in the rooms. Arrived on a Wednesday and discovered that the manager has a welcome reception party with drinks and food each Wednesday between 5.00 and 6;30 and a chance to meet him and the staff who are all so helpful. We were offered the use of the hotel courtesy bus as we were not driving and made use of this several times to visit nearby attractions and to get to the local Metra station to take us into Chicago. The manager took us in his own car on one occasion when the bus was already in use. On every occasion we used the service the return pick up was spot on time.

The swimming pool and spar pool are both a good size and kept clean and tidy as is the rest of the hotel, The room was the largest we stayed in during our US visit and also the most comfortable including a sofa which we discovered was actually a bed -sofa, Our twin ( queen ) room would actually have slept a family of 6 in comfort. Usual facilities including coffee maker, fridge, microwave, clock/radio, A/C, TV etc. were all up to date and worked well. The bathroom was a good size and towels etc. and comp. toiletries generous.

The only minor down was the complimentary breakfast which we found a little limited in choice compared with some of the other hotels we used on our trip, but then that is probably just because we prefer a lighter breakfast than is the US norm.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the front of the hotel ( away from the road ) and are really quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just stayed a few days ago and the staff was great to deal with and the rooms were VERY CLEAN. It was a pleasant surprise from what my family and I had experienced the last multiple rooms we stayed in at other hotels. They are pet friendly bit only put the pets on the first and second floors which was great for us since my son is allergic to cats and some dogs. They made sure we were on the 4th floor so nothing would hurt him.

Breakfast was great too. I have stayed in other hotels that charged a lot to get a breakfast that comfort suites offered.

When you are trying to find it, GPS will take you right past it though. So when you are on 120 and enter Gray's Lake, you will see it but GPS will keep you going right past it. Where 120 and I believe 45 crosses you will see it and that is the one.

I highly recommend this location!

Room Tip: They are pet friendly but only out the pets on the first and second floor. So if you or anyone you a...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel as part of a small reunion (20 total people). As others have mentioned, the entrance to this hotel is a bit confusing. Only entrance/exit is on Rt120, no entrance/exit from Rt45. GM said this is planned to be corrected but date unknown. The rooms are larger than a normal guest room, partial wall separating bed area from sitting area with sofa. Large bathroom, bed was comfortable, great free breakfast including plenty of fresh fruit, hot items, and standard cereals and pastry, large breakfast area with plenty of tables. There is a small pool and exercise room with elliptical and treadmill. The staff of the hotel is wonderful, the front desk staff always wanted to know if we were pleased, the housekeeping staff was polite and did a nice cleaning job and the GM stopped by our gathering to make sure everyone was satisfied. The person we made our arrangements with left for another job prior to our arrival. This is usually not good news, but the person left under good terms and gave our information and preferences to a front desk mgr. This person, Nicole, was very responsive to our group as were other staff. This property is pet friendly, I saw small and medium+ dogs, no problems from any of them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayslake
Candlewood Suites Chicago Libertyville
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago-Libertyville
Comfort Inn Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#3 of 12 in Gurnee
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee

Been to Comfort Suites Grayslake? Share your experiences!