“Crankly lady”

Comfort Suites Grayslake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayslake
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I normally never write reviews but this may be an exception. I stayed there months ago and I would love to stay there again because it is 2 miles from my husband's family. However, I hestitate. The place tends to cater to large gatherings which I don't mind but when they are being noisy in the middle of the night and I call the front desk, I expect someone to answer. We called for 1/2 hour straight with no answer, while the drunks next us carried on at 2:00 a.m. Finally, my husband dressed himself and went downstairs to find the desk lady in the kitchen area folding towels. Can you believe that she was actually upset at my husband for being upset at her for not answering the phone? I just could not believe it.

One other thing I should mention is that in the pools bathroom, somebody did not make the toilet and left a brown "gift" on the floor. I understand kids get too excited with a pool and hold it past the point of no return. I told the front desk and she came in and pick it up and said it "ready." Where is the bleach? Seriously?!!!!

I guess I am still upset because I called and left a message with management and NO RETURN phone call. Bad management=bad employees. Explains why my husband had to go down to the front desk to quiet are neighbors done. Wish they would get their act together so I could stay there again. It was very convenient for us.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

I am very sorry that we have not contacted you. I do not have any unreturned messages, so I can only assume that somehow I overlooked your message, which is both embarrassing and frustrating. I do not ever want to have guest calls go unreturned. I would welcome your call to me at 847-223-5050.
Let me address the issues that you encountered, but I first want to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in the first place, My staff works hard to bring guests to our property, and we all work hard to keep them coming back. It seems as though my standards were not met during your stay.
First, I will address the issue with the phone going unanswered. Overnight, as you can imagine, the Front Desk Agent has many tasks to accomplish, since otherwise he or she would stand at the front desk with little to do. One of the tasks is folding towels. When they do so, they are required to keep the cordless telephone handset with them, so that no calls go unanswered. I have reminded our overnight staff of this requirement, and I have replaced the cordless phone with one that does two things better than the old one. First, it has a longer range, so that anywhere on the main floor is within the phone's coverage area. Secondly, the new phone has a message recording function, so that unanswered calls go to a voice mail that can be retrieved when the agent returns to the desk. This should greatly improve this situation, and I appreciate your feedback on it.
In regard to the clean up of the pool bathroom, if my staff did not use the sanitizing cleaner located in the pool closet, then they did not follow our procedures. I have given the staff a reminder of this as well.
Again, I apologize for the issues that you encountered. I am never happy when we miss our target of providing the best service possible, but I always appreciate getting the feedback from our guests, because it tells me where we need to get better. I hope that you can call me as a follow-up. I'd really appreciate the chance to prove to you that we can, and will, do better.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Inviting lobby and a helpful staff over my three night stay. Room was large & clean. Bed was very comfortable. Refrig and microwave in the room. Breakfast was average with good waffles and poor coffee. Oatmeal, cereal, bread, bagels, and each morning scrambled eggs and a breakfast meat. The sausages were pretty good. Hot tub (was hot) and pool area was very nice. Fitness center equipment all worked though only one treadmill & one elliptical so I do not know if there is a wait when the hotel is full. The hotel was quiet inside and out while I was there. This appears to be a newer building and at $100 a good value. A bit of a pain to get to going West on Rt 120.

Room Tip: Always stay on the top floor to minimize noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ski&brew
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2011

Thank you for your review. We encourage our guests to give us feedback so that we can continue to improve. I'm glad you found so many things to like about our property. To me, the best thing you said is that we are a good value. When you look at other comparible hotels in the area, you'll find our rates are almost always a bit better, which really does provide the best value around. (And the product we offer is newer and better than most as well.) In regard to the issues you mentioned, we have improved the coffee just recently, so let us know how we're doing when you are here next. Our exit onto westbound Route 120 is not something we can change, unfortunately, but we try to give good directions. (The secret is to cut through the parking lot of the adjacent restaurant.) Hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Comfort Suites as we have family in the area but needed to bring our dog along this time. Sometimes "pet friendly" means you get a small, shabby, and smoky room. Not here; all the rooms are suites and the whole property is non-smoking. The rooms are a generous size- we had a king sized bed, a seating area with table, and a writing desk. Plenty of drawers for those staying a few days, and luggage rack in the closet. The space meant lots of nice stretch-out room for our (small) dog without leaving the room. Pet fee was quite reasonable at $30. In room coffee maker that actually made good coffee, and a nice breakfast area with several choices for breakfast. The front desk clerk put us in a room right on the first floor, near the door to the parking lot. Very convenient for dog walking. Lots of grassy areas for walking, too. As others mentioned, shopping/restaurants quite close. Flat screen TVs, microwave, fridge all very convenient. Very clean and pleasant property at a decent price. We will be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MNJenRN
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for a great comments! We find that people really do use Trip Advisor when choosing a hotel, so we really appreciate that you took the time to do this. Our staff works hard to make our hotel worthy of good reviews, and we welcome every chance for feedback from our guests and from Choice Hotels International, which regularly reviews our property. We think we've earned the excellent reviews we've gotten so far, but we know that we need to try to constantly improve.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

It was late in the day and we didn't have a reservation anywhere. We had lived in the area several years ago and were heading to a property we were more familiar with (and not looking forward to) to spend the night. We spotted the Comfort Suites on our way and decided to give it a try.

They had a suite available for a reasonable rate. The room was spacious and super-clean. We felt like the first people to stay there. Indoor pool looked nice, although we didn't have time to use it. Included breakfast was a nice touch and was appreciated.

Upon check-out I asked the friendly man at the front desk when this hotel was built. He said it was a couple of years old. I told him it felt brand-new and he said that's what they are aiming for.

I would definitely stay here when in the area again and told nearby family & friends not to hesitate to put out of town guest up here if the need should arise.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, ask for a room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kawill
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

I really loved reading your review of our hotel. I am happy that you see us acheiving an important goal, which is ensuring that our property feels like a new hotel to our guests.

We look forward to your return visit, and we are striving to have everyone feel as you did after your visit.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I have stayed here 3 times. 2009, 2010 and 2011. The first time was perfect. The place just opened and the place was almost empty. The second time about an hour before check out it became strange. I heard something outside my door. I looked out the peep hole and a housekeeper had her ear to the door! I had the do not disturb sign out. They could not wait to get in that room and do their thing. The third time was it! About 30 minutes before check out the front desk woman called to ask when housekeeping can clean the room. Check out time is 11 a.m.! I DO NOT LIKE BEING RUSHED! Two times this took place. During check in there was a VERY nice woman behind the desk. She really enjoys her job. At check out the woman behind the desk has some issues. That phone call asking me when they can clean the room was the last straw! Now if you plan to leave before 10 a.m. this is a decent place. It's a newer property and they are keeping the place looking fresh and clean. The ONLY issue I had with my room during my last stay is the two very small bars of soap you get. Taking a shower, they are useless. There should have been a bath size for the shower. If you can, avoid a room on the first floor unless you like noise and looking at cars a few feet from your window. Also if you like to look at some trees ask for a room facing West. If you want to look at alot of traffic get a room facing East. Across the corner from the property is a strip shopping center. They have Walgreens, McDonalds, etc, etc. The odd driveway location and the amount of traffic at certain times could be an issue. You could stock up on food and drink since it can be kept in the room. The front desk has a bunch of menus you can pick from and you can just order food and not even have to leave the place. So if you get a room on a upper floor and you leave by 10 a.m. this is a decent place!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank USA66

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It's a valuable way for us to coach our staff when things don't go as they should. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience you encountered with check out.

As you may know, many of our guests simply leave their keycards in the room when they depart, and don't stop at the front desk to check out. These guests find it more convenient to depart this way. Sometime after our 11AM checkout time, the front desk calls any rooms that have not yet checked out to see if a guest is planning on extending their stay, or if they need a bit more time to checkout. If we called you at 10AM, someone jumped the gun and I'll make sure that our morning staff is not doing this under any circumstances. (Same with housekeeping staff.)

In regard to the small soap, I'm sure you see hospitality-sized soap in all the hotels you visit. It's just not financially or environmentally economical to provide a full sized bath soap bar in a hotel room where it will be used once or twice and then discarded. Please feel free to ask for additional bars of soap at any time. We do not charge for them.

Again, thanks for some really helpful feedback to me, and hopefully, other TripAdvisor readers will find it useful as well.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a very nice facility. Pool, fitness area, and lobby areas were clean and spacious. The front desk was welcoming and helpful. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The area was interesting with nature and trails to hike. It was also close to a large outlet center with amazingly low prices and selections from Bass Pro shop to Neiman Marcus.
We also found a wonderful salon with great massage service close by. If I ever find my self back in this area I would stay at this Comfort Suites.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CatskillMountains
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Thanks for the nice review! We try hard to keep the hotel in tip-top condition, so it's nice when that is noticed. We agree, too, that this area has some really great things to do. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed here for a Great America visit. Rooms are large with micro,fridge, pull out sofa.
Got a great price with a Farm Bureau discount. Had Great America discount tickets at the desk for 35.00-best price I've seen this year. Nice pool area and hot tub. Breakfast was ok. Waffles, fruit, cereal, bagels, muffins. The eggs could use some help, like shredded cheese, salsa, veggies or something to flavor them up but overall a good selection. The entrance to this hotel is awkward though. The hotel is on a corner. Coming from the west you can pull right in, IF you see the small sign. We missed it the first time and so did my sister's family. There is no other entrance around the corner. We turned around and came back only to find you cant' turn in from the other way. You have to continue down the street to the entrance to the restaurant next door to the west and then drive through that parking lot to get to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank clubhip
comfortgrayslake, General Manager at Comfort Suites Grayslake, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. I appreciate your feedback.

We have worked hard to ensure that we provide the best possible guest experience, and we're glad you found our hotel to your liking. We continue to work on areas that fall short, and find the breakfast to be the most challenging. We will continue to test new items and ways to provide the best possible breakfast at the pace required to satisfy the Saturday and Sunday morning rush.

Please don't hesitate to call with suggestions so that we can make your next stay even better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayslake
Candlewood Suites Chicago Libertyville
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago-Libertyville
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
Comfort Inn Gurnee
#2 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to Comfort Suites Grayslake? Share your experiences!