St Louis / Granite City KOA
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$59
$50
$57
$48
Priceline
Indian Mounds Motel(East Saint Louis)
$55
Agoda.com
$100
$90
BestWestern.com
Regency Park Hotel(Pontoon Beach)
Travelocity
La Quinta
All reviewsan industrial parkjumping pillowcable tvwould stay here againcamp storeconvenient location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Spent 1 night tent camping while travelling to Colorado, Not much available for tent camping and had a choice of a site with a large beehive about 20 feet up in the tree or a group area. I picked the bee hive since it was closer to the bathrooms. The bees didn't bother us at all. Staff was very friendly and area was quiet, would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ny10549
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We thought this campground would be good since it was a KOA and convenient to downtown St. Louis. This was supossed to be just a one night stay. As we approached the KOA, we were already alarmed at the area where this campground was. I would basically say that the campground is in the middle of a unkempt industrial park. It looked like a ghost town with a few RV's. We immediately unhitched and left the campground. We really felt uneasy just being there and having the kids with us. After seeing the sites in the city, we came back and decided that we were leaving. We hitched up and left and went somewhere else for the night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We needed a place to stay for one night near St. Louis, so that we could explore the city, fall asleep, and leave the next morning, so it wasn’t that bad for those purposes. However, I would definitely not recommend staying here if you are going to be there for more than one night. The train/horns are VERY loud (as in wake up terrified grabbing the other people in your tent) and about 50 yards from the tenting area. The tent area is mostly dirt, and full of ants and bees. There were motorcycle races going on nearby, and gunshots in the middle of the night. On the positive side, check in was quick, their was a covered picnic table at our site, and we got to choose which tent site we wanted. A lot of people must rate them poorly on the KOA site, b/c they have sign at the desk that says "please don't rate us less than a 9, otherwise we receive a failing score."

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jenksoccer21
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Garbage overflowing in the dumpster and garbage everywhere outside of it for over two days. The location is in the middle of commercial properties near a train track, and a very dangerous neighborhood. The staff were not knowledgable of the area, and didn't make any effort to assist us with finding a car to rent or taxi service. They shut down the building early, so you couldn't do laundry or buy groceries. The bathrooms were filthy, they clean them once a day at Noon. The website is misleading, they are very far away from downtown St. Louis, $100.00 rt taxi fare, Very low quality, by far the worst I have ever stayed at, and we consistently rely on KOA Campgrounds when we travel. The grandpa host was friendly, but the young man that is there barked orders in the pool at anyone he didn't approve of; kind of creepy that he was hanging out in the pool area. Really Really Disappointed; we did whatever we could to stay away from this place during the day and evening, only to come back to sleep and shower. This was REALLY EXPENSIVE TOO, for a KOA with little amenities and poor location. We should've just pulled into the Walmart parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 411Luv2Travel
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The other KOA option is to stay at the location close to Six Flags, outside of St. Louis. However, I was driving in from Nashville, and it made sense to book at this particular KOA because I could stay there for the night, then drive into the city to see the St. Louis Gateway Arch without backtracking. The staff accommodated me with late check-in. I arrived well after midnight after driving a long distance. Therefore, the late check-in option is a plus. As far as value is concerned, being a budget-minded traveler when I travel solo was also a concern. I like nice accommodations, but considering I was only going to sleep a few hours and shower and needed a place that was pet-friendly, this was suitable. I opted for the basic cabin, which is very small. Since I am familiar with KOA kabins, I knew to take my own linens. I liked the fact this kabin had a flat-screen tv. That was a nice feature. However, the campground is located in an industrial area. On the other side of the fence is a transportation depot which made it difficult to sleep because there were 18-wheelers constantly coming in and leaving the transportation depot. Additionally, the railroad yard is very close. I heard a train whistle every 15 minutes....making it difficult to sleep. The positives of this KOA are that the staff is friendly, they accommodate late check-ins, they are pet friendly, and the location is great to if you need a place to stay only for a night, get up and drive to the Arch. I would have like to have rated this facility as average, but the location in the industrial area made me put "poor" which is unfortunate. Overall, it is clean and in a safe area but there are other KOA's that surpass this.

Room Tip: Location: "Average/Good" because it is very easy to drive to the St. Louis Arch. However, the location is "poor" because it is located so close to the railroad yard and tractor trailer transportation depot.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo