Pere Marquette Lodge & Conference Ctr, BW Premier Collection
$129
Sleep Inn(Saint Charles)
$80
$71
Holiday Inn Express Hotel St Charles(Saint Charles)(Great Value!)
$79
$77
$40
Super 8 St Charles(Saint Charles)
$68
$117
getaroom.com
$84
$94
$80
ComfortInn
$54
All reviewspere marquettegreat roomillinois riverstate parkgiant chess boardnewer wingfried chicken dinnerhiking trailschess piecesrelaxing getawayindoor poolbunk bedsgreat hikingcabin roomhot tubconference centergreat river road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was the father of the bride . Arrived Friday left Sun Wedding was on Sat night. Upon arrival we were asked about the payment for the rooms. We had made a point of paying for everything in advance. It took some time to resolve this.This happened to several other of my guests. There is also a question of the rates we were promised an the rates charged. At this writing it is yet to be resolved. The idea of prepaying is to simplify everything for us, our guests, and the staff. Apparently they think otherwise. Now the rooms. We had a lodge room and cabin. I will say the cabin was ok. The rooms in the lodge were not ok. Bugs,dead and alive. I grant you there may be a bug or two in a "rustic" lodge in the woods. There were dead bug carcasess in plain site in the room. This indicates poor housekeeping. The ceiling in our room was peeling and stained. A little fresh paint goes a long way The shower.... Is it too much to ask for a relaxing hot shower at the end of the day? Guess so...Restaurant... I thought the food was very good but the service was not good. In fact I think one of the biggest problems is the staff morale. Actually makes me wonder how miserable it must be to work there if everyone is so glum and unhappy My son manages housekeeping for some of the lodges at Yellowstone NP and he was amazed at the shoddiness of the work here. This could be a wonderful place to stay
with the right changes

Room Tip: Stay in the cabins or inspect the room and how well things work before accepting the room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bikeinthecorn
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We went to the resturant at Pere marquette because my Aunt and Uncle love this place it was a nice lodge had a nice great room for sitting and watching the fire and the resturant was nice it was a slow night very few customers we ordered the chicken dinner it seemed to take forever to get our food we got the chicken mash potatoes gravy cold slaw and cooked carrots which I cant imagine why they would have carrots which is not a favorite vegs of people should have had like corn or green beans and cost $ 15 for the meal not worth that amount of money but I enjoyed my visit if my Aunt and Uncle so unless staying there becuase you enjoy the great outdoors dont go or expect to pay more than the food is worth

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at Pere Marquette for a conference I attended. The room and food were great! The lodge room is beautiful. I had some time on Saturday afternoon to go for a hike on a nearby trail. The drive along the Mississippi River back toward St. Louis was beautiful. I am hoping to find another time to visit with my family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LCB72
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our (husband & me) second (& last) visit to Pere Marquette Lodge & Conf Center. Two years ago, we stayed (with 2 other families) in the lodge. This year we wanted to stay in a cabin. We booked 2 weekend evenings, Oct. 26 and 27, 2012.
Since this is a long review, I want to put the most important part in first: The management has ZERO concern for guest safety or comfort or satisfaction. The front desk and pool staff made it clear that they only care about doing their little job and getting to leave on time.
The four adults and 3 children ages 5-9 (in our group) were using the pool up until its 10pm closing time. A male staff member came into the pool area at 10:00 and motioned everyone to get out of the pool--which we did.While we were drying off and gathering our belongings, he TURNED OFF ALL OF THE LIGHTS in the pool area. I thought, This has got to be a joke. It wasn't. He YELLED at us that the pool was closed, he had already "received complaints" about us. When I asked him how it was going to help us leave any quicker by making it harder for us to SEE where we were going--as well as the dangers of falling and injuring ourselves--he merely barked, "I'm standing here!" When I went to the front desk to complain, I heard one of the staff members on the radio with this staff member. She was saying to him,"They're mad at your b/c you made them get out of the pool?" Before I even said anything to these front desk staff about what had happened, they said, "Yeah, when we close the pool, they tell us the first thing to do is turn off the lights, otherwise they won't leave." No one cared that there were CHILDREN here, that we were on our way out. We were PAYING GUESTS, not bums who had wandered in off the street. The only response was "Didn't you know the pool closed at 10:00?" They told me it was the *General Manager*'s policy to turn off the lights at pool closing time. My friends & I will never stay here again.
Some positives: The grounds are lovely. The Fall foliage is beautiful. I love the solid, historic feel of the lodge's Great Room and the cabins. It's great that there is a piano in the Great Room, along with puzzles, board games, and books.Who needs a TV? The views of the river are amazing. Their pool is *fantastic!* My husband and I were able to use it all by ourselves on Friday night and Sat. morning. Other than lots of dead beetles at the bottom of the pool, it is very clean. Long enough to feel I am getting some exercise in with my lap swim. The cabin we stayed in (one of the middle units of the Hennepin building) was very large. a set of bunk beds, a full-size couch (pull-out I think), and a king size bed provide plenty of sleeping spaced. The bathroom (shower and toilet separate) is TINY. It is very difficult to close the door once you are in there. Great water pressure in the shower!
The negatives: the food in the restaurant is really not very good. It is just okay. And the portions are large. The breakfast buffet (Saturday) had good sausage, really good cheesy hash browns and fresh pineapple, but soggy french toast sticks and bacon. The scrambled eggs were kind of runny. The coffee was terrible.
The Great Hall could use a lot more cleaning. I used one of the outlets on the floor--after I brushed away the cobwebs. I don't think the floor gets swept too often. The wifi connection is terrible. I tried to get some work done, but it was pretty much a waste of time. So don't stay here if you need a good, reliable internet connection--either wifi or 3G/4G.
The cabin had a nice sort-of-rustic feel to it. Massive walls (we didn't hear any of our neighbors), massive bathroom door, lots of windows. But there were a few dead beetles (it is that time of year) and one or two other insects in there. It's a cabin, I can live with that. One of the lights over the sink was burned out. We could not get the 2 light bulbs to work in the lamp closest to the door of our room. So it just seems that the rooms need some TLC. I think they do minimal maintenance and upkeep.
Our first night, it was COLD after a week or two of unseasonably warm temps in the area. I definitely needed a blanket for the bed. I made sure to check all around the room before I called the front desk, b/c when I had been waiting at the desk earlier in the evening, I had heard the receptionist take a phone call from someone else calling to request a blanket. When I called to ask for a blanket, the receptionist said to check the bed and the closet. No blanket. She said she didn't know if there were any more, and she was about to leave for the night, and there was no one she could send to look for the blanket and take it to my room, if I found one. She asked if I could just turn the heat up in my room! Finally she said she would have someone check the maid's closet, but couldn't guarantee there would be any there, and if there were, no one would be able to walk them to my room. I ended up sending my husband to the front desk. Luckily, he returned with a blanket.
It seems that the staff are just there to get their paycheck. I don't think the management prioritizes customer service/satisfaction at all. If you are really laid-back about stuff and just want to enjoy the views and Great Hall, you'll probably have a great time. But for the amount of money we paid, we should have gotten MUCH better service. We look forward to trying some of the inns and small hotels in Grafton or Elsah in the future.

Room Tip: The cabin rooms are bigger than the lodge rooms, but you have to walk outside to get to the pool, Great Hall, restaurant, gift shop, etc.Hennepin 2 (Room #308) was REALLY big, much bigger than the outside room (Hennepin 1/Room#307).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank babsinStLouis
Lodgegm, Manager at Pere Marquette Lodge & Conference Ctr, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

First and foremost thank you for your comments. No matter how disturbing they can be at times they are always important for us in order to move forward. Our maintenance staff is instructed to close and lock the pool area at 10 p.m. They are not instructed to turn off the lights or do anything which would impede guest safety. Because of your posting I have gone over with this particular team member the proper procedure when closing the pool, which does not include turning off the lights and being more patient.
Once again thank you for your feedback, and know that it will be put to good use.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I have now had the opportunity to stay in both the cabins at Pere Marquette (this trip) and in the rooms in the lodge (previous trip). The stay in the cabin was nice, but in the future, I'll be opting for the lodge room if one is available. The cabins are quaint, clean and comfortable. No real complaints about anything in the cabin room. It just seemed more appropriate for a family than a couple. The cabin we stayed in had a nice king size bed, but also had bunk beds and a fold out sofa. Sorry, but the bunk beds somewhat distracted from what could have been a very romantic setting. For the price, I would have actually expected more amenities than provided. There was no refrigerator, no microwave, no ironing board and iron, and no table/chairs. The cabins are set behind the lodge and you must walk a good distance to the lodge to eat, etc. Not a problem for myself, but could be difficult for one with physical limitations. The wine tasting at the lodge bar is nice and the food in the restaurant is very good and fairly priced. The fall scenery was beautiful and the lodge has a great view of the river from the front. I would also recommend driving up the road behind the lodge, it has some absolutely stunning views of the river and surrounding area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple